Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Air OGG-LIH Nonstop Flighs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi Hawaii Experts;

I want to fly from OGG to LIH in February, preferably non-stop, and preferably on Hawaiian. From what I can see, Hawaiian has no nonstops loaded on this route after November 3rd, and offers only HNL connections on my prospective travel date.

I am totally and completely unfamiliar with HA's scheduling, but can I expect flights to be loaded at some point or should I plan on flying another airline? Both WP and YV have nonstops when I need them.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: DL DM/4MM, AS MVPG100K, HA Pualani Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
HA mentioned in local news article few weeks ago that their new OGG hub was not performing as expected so they were in the process of re-evaluating their OGG interisland schedule to improve performance of their new OGG operation.
Old May 21, 2012, 5:53 am

Another option is to purchase a refundable airfare with travel thru HNL. This way, you can pick you flights, how much of a layover in HNL that you would like and your seats. If you don't see a layover that you like, call HA and purchase that way. I did because the layovers I wanted weren't an option (either 40 minutes or 3 hours type of thing) If and when HA puts a non stop or two on the OGG-LIH route, you can purchase the lowest fare available and cancel your refundable tickets.

It is a gamble if HA does not reinstate a non stop on this route. If they don't reinstate a non stop or two, you could be out $140 or more per ticket (difference between a coach refundable going thru HNL and coach non refundable, non stop)
Old May 21, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by surfport
HA mentioned in local news article few weeks ago that their new OGG hub was not performing as expected so they were in the process of re-evaluating their OGG interisland schedule to improve performance of their new OGG operation.
do you have a reference for the article? Thanks.

-David
Old May 21, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/4MM, AS MVPG100K, HA Pualani Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...AP&id=15024688

The CEO only mentioned one area where the airline wasn't doing as well as hoped: the interisland market.
The company's revenue from flying people between the Hawaiian Islands rose 3.5 percent, far short of a 10 percent increase in capacity.
Dunkerley said the airline didn't do a good enough job adapting to the introduction of new Boeing 717 airplanes on its interisland routes and to the launch of a new hub on Maui.
"This is an area that we are looking at, and we will be making further refinements to schedule and fares necessary to improve our short-haul flying results," he said.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 25, 2012 at 5:32 am Reason: copyright violation - http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q91
Old May 22, 2012, 5:32 am

HA only started their Maui hub within the past three months. I am far from a business person but to judge something only after three months seems foolish. What they need to do is have an early morning non stop to Hawaii and Kauai for business folks. Then, the next non stops start in the afternoon when the first mainland flights start to arrive. I would love to stay on Maui and then fly non stop to either Hawaii or Kauai. Afternoon non stops would be great.

According to the article that Surfport posted, HA is making money. If they want that Maui hub to work, they should buy some of WN's 717's that they want to get rid of.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:00 pm

surfport .. thanks for posting the article. A link would have worked too.

-David
Old May 25, 2012, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
surfport .. thanks for posting the article. A link would have worked too.

-David
Seconded

And I know not all Hawaii News agencies allow full access for free online so I appreciate the article (although we do have to be careful how much of the articles to post on FT )
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but this one did seem an appropriate place for my question.

I'm traveling OGG-LIH in September and booked my HA nonstop flight about a month ago. At the time, I believe there were 4 options: 10a, 12p, 2p, and 5p (times approximate, don't quote me). I just got a schedule change notification that my 12p departure was changed to 10a. I took a look at the new nonstop schedule that day to see if there was another option I liked better and found that there are now 3 flights: 10a, 10:30a, and 3p. Not being very familiar with the inter-island market, is it odd that 2 of the 3 nonstop options are timed within 30 minutes of one another? Any thoughts as to whether they will re-add a noon-ish flight or should I go with my 8 ball's suggestion of "not likely?"

Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Not being very familiar with the inter-island market, is it odd that 2 of the 3 nonstop options are timed within 30 minutes of one another? Any thoughts as to whether they will re-add a noon-ish flight or should I go with my 8 ball's suggestion of "not likely?"

Thanks!
HA has a history of scheduling contiguously timed flights if the need requires them.

IMO, low probability of another reschedule....
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:30 am

Any thoughts as to whether they will re-add a noon-ish flight or should I go with my 8 ball's suggestion of "not likely?"
Nobody can answer that, but in the OGG-LIH n/s market, you should probably take what you can get when it's reasonably priced and available.

-David
Old Jul 12, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Any thoughts as to whether they will re-add a noon-ish flight or should I go with my 8 ball's suggestion of "not likely"
HA's interisland flight schedules rarely change, but it seems like they just did a big change for Sept onwards. I was recently notified of changes to some of my itineraries for Sept and Oct.

I think you should see if you could be changed to a OGG-HNL-LIH flight. 10:30 just seems so early and 3:00 seems so late compared to a noon flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.