Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inter-island CASM?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Inter-island CASM?

Anyone with insight into the HA CASM on inter-island flights? One of the highlights of the quarterly conference call was the poor performance of these flights. The reported overall HA CASM was less than 14 CPM. A couple of rough calculations would put the inter-island CASM around 50 CPM if we are to believe that HA lost money here.

I was assuming an $80 average fare, 120 mile stage length, with a 75 % load factor. This give a 50 RASM number which means costs would have to be 50 CPM or greater to result in a loss. Is it really that expensive to run 717s inter-island? It must be crazy expensive running a CRJ on the same routes.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:28 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Anyone with insight into the HA CASM on inter-island flights? One of the highlights of the quarterly conference call was the poor performance of these flights. The reported overall HA CASM was less than 14 CPM. A couple of rough calculations would put the inter-island CASM around 50 CPM if we are to believe that HA lost money here.

I was assuming an $80 average fare, 120 mile stage length, with a 75 % load factor. This give a 50 RASM number which means costs would have to be 50 CPM or greater to result in a loss. Is it really that expensive to run 717s inter-island? It must be crazy expensive running a CRJ on the same routes.
I'm only speculating - but I bet it is expensive to run a 717 inter-island. Just to get that bird up in the air is a huge cost - there isn't much cruising time - add landing fees and maintenance - and it gets real expensive very fast. I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is inter-island is a loss leader to support profitable international and mainland operations.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Hmm, it's probably fuel which is expensive for everyone. Also, if I recall, HA lost some tax breaks/exemptions from the State of Hawaii. I think I recall a while back that the landing fees for Hawaii airports went up...this impacts HA the most since they have more landings/departures than any other airline. Then there is also labor...with most 717's at 123 seats, HA is required to have 3 flight attendants. If HA could cram an additional 27 seats into those 717's, they probably would. Of course too, labor costs go up like everything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.