Using Hawaiian Miles for Partner Awards

Subscribe
I've been hearing some conflicting information on how difficult it is to use Hawaiian miles on Delta. I've used Delta miles to book many Delta awards and haven't had TOO much difficulty (although its not as easy as booking AA awards). Is the availability for DL awards (using HA miles) the same as if I were using DL miles? Can anyone comment on the ease of using HA miles for partner awards? Can HA miles be used on American Airlines?
Generally, on the whole, HA availability on partner airlines is hard to come by. This is primarily the reason why I bank to other airlines when possible even when flying HA and avoid HA miles except to transfer to HHonors.

IIRC, the availability for using Skymiles is not the same as if using HawaiianMiles.
So if I've got a bunch of Hawaiian Airlines miles and I don't want to go to Hawaii. What are my best options for getting International flights?
From where, to where? In coach or business class?
Quote: So if I've got a bunch of Hawaiian Airlines miles and I don't want to go to Hawaii. What are my best options for getting International flights?
How many is a bunch?
I live near Miami, I have about 250k. What are my best options? International and domestic?
If you want intercontinental Business class awards (say, to Europe) you're going to work for it on Delta-operated flights. People with DL miles have the option of burning them on Air France, KLM and Alitalia (among others) to fly trans-Atlantic, in addition to redeeming more miles for Medium or High band Delta awards
work for it? meaning difficult? I usually fly coach. Also, it doesn't have to be Europe. Can be Japan or anywhere in Asia too. Any better options that would be easier to get an award ticket for? Does HA have good award options to get to Asia? Probably have to connect in HNL?
If you want to redeem HA miles for Delta flights, you need Delta's Low band award inventory.

http://dmn.delta.com/skymiles/direct/charts/us49/

The complaint that airlines don't make enough Low/saver/off-peak awards available is universal across FlyerTalk, but Delta's profoundly dysfunctional award calendar also make those available awards difficult to find. Advance search techniques are found in the thread below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ss-awards.html

Hawaiian Airlines reservation agents may not have the patience to conduct extensive searches for Delta award inventory; certainly some of Delta's own are unwilling.

Instead of trying to master Delta's award search, why not fly a different Hawaiian partner carrier? Maybe Virgin Atlantic, Miami to London (or beyond)?
Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Three questions :-)

1.) Ok, so if I understand correctly, HA miles can only be redeemed for LOW level award space on Delta? I cannot redeem HA miles for mid or high tier priced DL awards? Can you clarify that for me?

2. ) Also, I know HA has some other partners. What partners would I have the most ease redeeming my HA miles on? Doesn't have to be to Europe.

3.) Can I redeem my HA miles ON HA to go to Japan?
Quote: Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Three questions :-)

1.) Ok, so if I understand correctly, HA miles can only be redeemed for LOW level award space on Delta? I cannot redeem HA miles for mid or high tier priced DL awards? Can you clarify that for me?
Delta - as far as I know - only makes its Low band award inventory available for redemption with partner miles. This is true for the 20+ carriers that can redeem on Delta. You have no direct mechanism to redeem more HA miles for Delta Medium or High band awards, as can be done with Delta miles on Delta-operated flights.

As for your other questions, sorry, I'm a Delta and AA guy. I can't offer much help with regards to award availability on other carriers available with HA miles, other than to tell you watch out for blackout dates if you want to fly Korean Air. (I know that because Delta miles can be redeemed on KE, too.) Good luck using your miles.
I guess I'm just more concerned about which partners charge excessive fuel surcharges.
Quote:
Yes, you can redeem your HawaiianMiles on HA to go to several international destinations, including Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Australia, and Tahiti.
Quote: Thanks for the reply, very helpful. Three questions :-)

2. ) Also, I know HA has some other partners. What partners would I have the most ease redeeming my HA miles on? Doesn't have to be to Europe.

what airlines you can redemn ha miles with
http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianM...tner-airlines/

yes HA flies to japan...but only from Hawaii
http://www.hawaiianair.com/Aboutus/Pages/routemap.aspx
PM sent.