Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by yahrite808
Probably SOL, but YMMV... terms stated below:
[2] Complimentary 1st Checked Bag: The Primary Cardmember is eligible to earn one (1) complimentary first checked bag on Hawaiian Airlines-operated flights. International flights are excluded. Value of the first check bag is equivalent to the current "1st checked bag" fees listed on HawaiianAirlines.com/bagfees. Offer is also not valid for codeshare flight segments operated by Hawaiian Airlines and marketed by other airline partners. All ticket purchases (original and exchanges) must be made with the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard premium product and purchased directly from Hawaiian Airlines.[/B] HA Vacation Package purchases do not qualify as direct purchases from Hawaiian Airlines. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. See HawaiianAirlines.com/bagfees for complete terms and condition on the complimentary first checked bag benefit and general baggage policies for Hawaiian Airlines.
Thanks - I just found it. I'll probably just try to see if I can get everything into a carry-on this trip.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
I booked an AA 001 openjaw ticket for DFW-HNL-OGG, then LIH-HNL-DFW, with interisland segments on HA metal. EXP and upgraded AA segments for both outbound and return, so on the way there no charge for bags.

On the return, I got charged for a bag at LIH by HA (as expected from this thread).

Based on this thread, since the first marketing carrier would be AA, should I file a complaint with DOT/HA? Or am I interpreting the "first marketing carrier" rule incorrectly?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question will HA's policy on bag fees backfire on them?

Sorry, I cannot answer your question........

I am anticipating having to pay the $25 bag fee on Feb 15. So I listened with interest when a UA agent was asked to explain the fee by another passenger.............she said (I quote) "HA is a monopoly and they charge for whatever they want". While this is not (strictly) true, I now wonder if HA's extra bag fee will backfire on them?

We have already some evidence of FT's taking non-stop flights to LIH, MAU, etc. i.e. avoiding HNL & HA. Any other examples?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
We have already some evidence of FT's taking non-stop flights to LIH, MAU, etc. i.e. avoiding HNL & HA. Any other examples?
Well with AS' point-to-point network they've definitely reduced the amount of HA connections required for West and East Coast travel.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Anyone have any recent experience getting agents at ITO to interline bags on separate PNRs? I recall upstream in this thread somewhere that some had good luck with this specifically at ITO. I usually do carry-on only, but have something too big that has to go with me. I have allowed plenty of time to reclaim and recheck for my SEA flight, but would like to avoid the hassle. Thanks for any info.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Just flew HNL-LAS-LAX last night. According to the check in agent (first class/Premier agent), HA is officially no longer interlining bags on separate PNRs. Told her it was frustrating that they've been inconsistent, but she said from now on don't expect to have bags interlined.

Verified it w/ a HA employee friend.

Got me thinking, this new policy may make it more cost effective to start using travel agents again since if you're checking 2 bags a single PNR may save you $100 if you're checking 2 bags round trip.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:27 pm

Also ran into the no interline on recent trip to the islands. Couldn't do either direction since both directions had separate PNRs.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Just flew back from LAX-HNL on UA and had my bags interlined to my connection from HNL- ITO on HA. I had 2 separate PNR's. One on UA for the HNL-LAX flight and another one for the HNL-ITO on HA. I've been doing this all the time and have never had a problem. I'm a 1K with UA and Pualani Platinum on HA but I don't think that made any difference.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
This may be answered in here somewhere. I skimmed a half dozen pages and did not see the answer though. Sorry if it is a repeat.

We're looking to redeem AA miles, want to fly in to OGG but am afraid there won't be availability on our travel dates. Am considering redeeming business class on HA metal originating on west coast to HNL, then purchasing HNL-OGG tickets on HA. Three questions:

Can we link the points and paid reservations somehow? Since we will be on HA metal both legs can we check bags all the way through, even though two separate PNRs? And since mainland to HNL leg will be in first assume there will be no checked bag fees, correct? Thanks~

Hopefully we'll be able to book directly out of OGG on the return and not have to deal with this issue then.

Last edited by dwcatty; Jul 16, 2015 at 7:24 pm Reason: return
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Am considering redeeming business class on HA metal originating on west coast to HNL
Answered the question on your other post but now that I see "business class" I want to comment, as someone who flies both AA and HA. If you can, I would try to get a biz class award on an AA 767 out of LAX and add the interisland flight to your redemption so they'll transfer your bags. The AA 767 business class hard product is far better than HA's. I would definitely take HA business class over an AA 757, though.

On the other hand, I would say that's a much bigger deal on a longer haul flight - from the west coast, HA's recliner seats are fine, but a semi lie flat like AA can be nice if you're doing a red eye back.

Last edited by Kumulani; Jul 16, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Thanks for both your replies. Will look at flights/itineraries. I'm working on a LI/FO itinerary that I don't think will allow the inter-island transfer however. (AVL-CLT-SFO//SFO-HNL or OGG)
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Originally Posted by Mokuea
Just flew HNL-LAS-LAX last night. According to the check in agent (first class/Premier agent), HA is officially no longer interlining bags on separate PNRs. Told her it was frustrating that they've been inconsistent, but she said from now on don't expect to have bags interlined.

Verified it w/ a HA employee friend.

Got me thinking, this new policy may make it more cost effective to start using travel agents again since if you're checking 2 bags a single PNR may save you $100 if you're checking 2 bags round trip.
Anyone have any update on this? I'm hearing conflicting things from people who have done this.

Thanks

Last edited by bajong; Aug 21, 2015 at 7:52 pm
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Just to double/triple/quadruple check.... I'm on UA from EWR-HNL and need to go on to OGG. I had it booked on the same PNR but had to cancel it in order to use travel certificates. It was still less expensive to book on HA separately rather than pay UA for the same flight, but I was going to just so I didn't have to deal with the baggage issue.

What are my interline chances? As well, what's a good connection time? We arrive at 2pm to HNL and the next flight to OGG is at 3:22, around 4:30 after that. Should we chance the 3:22 or just book the 4:30? The non-stop from EWR is usually on time, but there could always be weather delays at that time of year, so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm thinking of getting a UA award for the OGG flight - cost is 6k points and seems a relative bargain. Thoughts? Fare is around $100. I have an HA award for OGG-HNL.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e

I'm thinking of getting a UA award for the OGG flight - cost is 6k points and seems a relative bargain. Thoughts? Fare is around $100. I have an HA award for OGG-HNL.
I just did this. UA interlined through HA to OGG without any issue.

HA refused to interline out of OGG even though I was on paid F on HA. They checked bags to HNL, which made me miss nonstop HNL-EWR return. Horrible experience, no aloha spirit.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Yikes... sorry about that.

I went back to booked the UA award and it had sold out so I had to purchase the tickets. I'm happy I gave myself plenty of time in HNL to move the bags. IIRC, the last time I did it, it took a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.