Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: NW gold
This makes me long for the days of AQ as well...

That was a company that had true Aloha (pardon the pun).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Dude: with apologies but "that dog don't hunt'. First, HA only flies to a few mainland locations and none in the midwest. Second, HA collects the bag fees now when anyone checking in to an HA flight connecting to a partner flight checks in (status customers excepted as always). Third, HA as the originating airline is still only responsible for the bags UNTIL the handoff to the next carrier, at which point that carrier is liable for the bags. So, what is the real reason for this stupid decision?
Hmm. HA flies to LAX, LAS, SEA, SAN, SFO, OAK, SJC, SMF, PDX, PHX, and soon JFK. That's eleven mainland locations, so far. Depending on how the JFK/HNL flight does, ORD might be the next mainland airport to receive HA flights.

Second, if one checks in via a partner airlines that connects to a HA flight, HA doesn't get to collect any baggage fees. HA wants to be able to collect baggage fees for these flights, plain and simple. Some folks might find that it's increasing difficult to book a connecting flight on the same PNR that falls within the 4 hour "time limit" to avoid having it considered a "stopover."

Third, if the originating carrier is not HA and the bags are mishandled, HA gets to hear the brunt of the customer complaints, even if the originating carrier is liable. If the customer is responsible for the "handoff" of the baggage to HA, HA gets to hear complaints for their own mishandling of baggage, not another carrier's.

In 2010, HA raked in $54 million in from baggage fees, which amounted to almost half of its $110 million profit. Thus, the real reason for this "stupid" decision is money. Someone at HA realized that while they might alienate some folks with the change in baggage policies, they can milk customers for another several million dollars.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...l?id=123798699

One can simply avoid flying on HA, purchase a "Premier Club" membership for $249 and check up to 2 bags (if they don't have status), fly First Class, pay the baggage fees, or not check any bags. In any event, HA's going to try to extract revenue from passengers that have the temerity to check baggage one way or another.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Frustration -It would be interesting to see the metrics behind this decision. It almost makes no sense. I guess it will save some gas and wear and tear on the carts from the interisland terminal at HNL. But, if even one connecting bag was on the same PNR they will still have to drive the tug over to the overseas terminal at HNL.

If they wanted to collect more fees they would not accept interline on the incoming flight and collect the baggage fees in Hawaii.

I would even be willing to pay an interline baggage fee rather than having to go back through the check-in and security process.

Wait until the first family that booked their 1:15 OGG (HA)-HNL (DL)-ATL connection finds out they will have $2000 in change fees at the DL counter when they miss the 45 minute check-in time and have to wait 2 days for the next available flight.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:35 am

I have to say I am a bit angry about this.

I am flying at the end of May, Hawaiian to Honululu and then Island Air to Lana'i.

I priced up the costs of separate tickets and booking all through Hawaiian, and separate tickets were significantly cheaper, and I had included the inter-lining of bags in this.

Now, the additional cost of having to pay for my bags twice, as well as the hassle of collecting them in Honolulu and re-checking in, outweighs a large part of the saving I'd made.

I can't believe they are applying to this to past bookings made when the old Rules applied.

Shocking, and not a good first impression for an airline I've never flown before.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: NW gold
Originally Posted by paulmasterton
I have to say I am a bit angry about this.

I am flying at the end of May, Hawaiian to Honululu and then Island Air to Lana'i.

I priced up the costs of separate tickets and booking all through Hawaiian, and separate tickets were significantly cheaper, and I had included the inter-lining of bags in this.

Now, the additional cost of having to pay for my bags twice, as well as the hassle of collecting them in Honolulu and re-checking in, outweighs a large part of the saving I'd made.

I can't believe they are applying to this to past bookings made when the old Rules applied.

Shocking, and not a good first impression for an airline I've never flown before.
Exactly right. I have cancelled an HA booking and will instead book on Island air to Maui. Unfortunately Island Air (although a great small airline) has a very limited route structure. LIH Prem's now edited post made excellent points about the lack of good reason by HA behind this move.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:58 pm

This subject is being discussed on the Trip Advisor forums (Hawaii) too. Three of us have emailed HA regarding this new policy and have all received the SAME answer:
>>>>"Aloha,
We appreciate your time to contact Hawaiian Airlines Web Support. In response to your inquiry, apparently in-order for us to interline your baggage with other airlines it should be in the same PNR or reservation.

If we can be of further assistance you can contact our General Reservations Department at 1-800-367-5320 open 24 hours daily.

Mahalo!
Jay
Hawaiian Airlines Web Support""<<<<

What a mess HNL is going to be, the security lines are going be horrible. Which brings up another subject. The AG inspection (back to mainland). You have your checked bags inspected at LIH, OGG etc. There is a sticker put on them. Now you need to re-check your bags at HNL, are you going to need to go thru AG inspection again? I would think so....
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:56 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by 3Chihuahuas
What a mess HNL is going to be, the security lines are going be horrible. Which brings up another subject. The AG inspection (back to mainland). You have your checked bags inspected at LIH, OGG etc. There is a sticker put on them. Now you need to re-check your bags at HNL, are you going to need to go thru AG inspection again? I would think so....
No, since HA isn't going to interline your bag, it's only going to be tagged to HNL ---- interisland, thus no Ag inspection at origin. You would have to Ag clear after retrieving your bags and before check-in/bag drop in HNL, adding more hassle and priming you for another wonderful TSA experience to immediately follow.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by MaximumSisu
No, since HA isn't going to interline your bag, it's only going to be tagged to HNL ---- interisland, thus no Ag inspection at origin. You would have to Ag clear after retrieving your bags and before check-in/bag drop in HNL, adding more hassle and priming you for another wonderful TSA experience to immediately follow.
Duh....thanks, right you are, no need for AG at Lihue if it's only tagged to HNL. I just can't believe HA is going to do this.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
It surprises me that HA is going to do this. They could not have thought it all the way through.

Such a large percentage of these situations are people flying from Hawaii to mainland destinations HA does not serve.

They are already charging their baggage fee for that inter-island segment that connects to the mainland flight (and it's worth noting, mostly with HA "partners"), so there is no additional money to be grabbed here.

I suspect this will have the impact of reducing HA's revenue from where it is today. Initially people will have no idea of the policy change. They'll book and travel as they always have, then when they go to check in and check their bag all the way through on their 45 minute connection, they'll be told it can't be done. They'll have to claim their bag at OGG at 10:00 PM and fight the crowds back through security to make their connecting flight. Many will simply miss their redeye home; most of the rest will be absolutely frazzled racing to the gate.

That will make people so angry, they'll either forgo these outer-island excursions when they go to Hawaii (loss of revenue to HA), or they'll swear off HA forever as a result of the experience and their customer-unfriendly rules (also a loss revenue to HA). Then they'll tell all their friends on Facebook and Twitter about it.

I hope the cost savings of inter-lining bags, and loss of goodwill, is worth it.

Like US Airways trying to charge for water -- this is a step too far.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Hyatt PLT, Marriott PLT
I'll plan to pack light and always carry on!!!!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, HA Premier, SPG, UA, VX
Hand Carry Weight Limit

And do not forget - they limit your hand carry items to 25 lbs each. So travel light for sure.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by KOADude
Hmm. HA flies to LAX, LAS, SEA, SAN, SFO, OAK, SJC, SMF, PDX, PHX, and soon JFK. That's eleven mainland locations, so far. Depending on how the JFK/HNL flight does, ORD might be the next mainland airport to receive HA flights.

And all those mentioned are West Coast with exception of soon to start DC. Chicago is nothing more than a rumor, so I stand by my comment.

Second, if one checks in via a partner airlines that connects to a HA flight, HA doesn't get to collect any baggage fees. HA wants to be able to collect baggage fees for these flights, plain and simple. Some folks might find that it's increasing difficult to book a connecting flight on the same PNR that falls within the 4 hour "time limit" to avoid having it considered a "stopover." :roll eyes:

Huh? We're talking about HA being the originating inter island airline passing the bags off to a partner airline for a mainland flight after HA has collected it's pound of flesh. So, again, your comment makes no sense.

Third, if the originating carrier is not HA and the bags are mishandled, HA gets to hear the brunt of the customer complaints, even if the originating carrier is liable. If the customer is responsible for the "handoff" of the baggage to HA, HA gets to hear complaints for their own mishandling of baggage, not another carrier's.

Only thing I can see here is if Go or Island Air was the originating interisland carrier. That sort of makes sense if you want to hamstring your local competition.

In 2010, HA raked in $54 million in from baggage fees, which amounted to almost half of its $110 million profit. Thus, the real reason for this "stupid" decision is money. Someone at HA realized that while they might alienate some folks with the change in baggage policies, they can milk customers for another several million dollars.
http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...l?id=123798699

One can simply avoid flying on HA, purchase a "Premier Club" membership for $249 and check up to 2 bags (if they don't have status), fly First Class, pay the baggage fees, or not check any bags. In any event, HA's going to try to extract revenue from passengers that have the temerity to check baggage one way or another.
OK, again, if I have status (and I do) are you saying none of this shibai applies??
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:40 pm

Glad I'm flying on the 29th from LIH to HNL...at least my bags "should" be interlined.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Is HA able to change the policy retroactively? I would think one would have a good case for a cancellation of the ticket (and/or chargeback) based on the service that was promised as part of the ticket not being provided.

I'm livid with this change given that I have a short connection in HNL to an airline that doesn't codeshare with HA, and buying the segment as part of the itinerary wasn't even a remote possibility. It will get ugly if this is enforced at checkin...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: moka Lifetime
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Is HA able to change the policy retroactively?
+1
My idea is to book a ticket now before the 1st via a website that offers courtesy cancellations i.e. Orbitz, then call HA and say I booked the ticket prior to the 1st and had no idea. A supervisor said that they may be able to put notes on the reservation to make an exception. Your thoughts?

Edit: Didn't work. Supervisor said the May 1 wording was on the website since Jan 24th. Screw em', just gonna book a flight directly through UA to the mainland instead of the red-eye.

Last edited by moka; Apr 19, 2012 at 10:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.