Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

HA connecting flight bag charges (& MAJOR change to inter-line policy as of 6/1/12)

Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:23 pm

Thanks much. We're flying in F, so perhaps can talk US into checking our bags through, although I understand that it's no guarantee.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lkar
Thanks much. We're flying in F, so perhaps can talk US into checking our bags through, although I understand that it's no guarantee.
When I need a cart, often I have been successful in finding a stray (and free) one nearby a gate or in front of a lounge. If you need to claim your bags, you will have plenty of time to locate one!

Last edited by 747FC; Dec 22, 2014 at 2:12 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:47 pm

Thanks again -- do you think 2:40 will be enough time to make this connection assuming no delays on the flight from the mainland?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lkar
Thanks again -- do you think 2:40 will be enough time to make this connection assuming no delays on the flight from the mainland?
Most certainly. Say max 40 minutes to get your bags, 15 minute walk to interisland terminal.

If you are in F on HA, you have access to their lounge. The one on level 2 is undergoing renovations, but the one on level three (up the escalator) is open. Have fun on your Hawaiian vacation!

BTW, I am a real fan of Sedona....
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Excellent -- thanks again for your help. Sedona is great. I don't get there as much as I probably should.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:44 am

Just an update. This went fine. Our flight arrived a bit early and everything went without delay. Total time was about 1:10 to 1:15 from gate to gate with precheck. (So, collecting bags, rechecking, and getting through security in the interisland terminal.) If there are no crowds and you run, you might be able to do it slightly more quickly, but I'd put that as the absolute minimum time to do this if everything goes right.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
lkar - Just checking, so US wouldn't check your bag through to OGG on HA?

I am flying UA EWR-HNL (F), connecting on a separate ticket from HNL-KOA a few hours later. I'm trying to find some clarity on whether UA will check it through for me properly. UA forum and HA forum are both incredibly confusing on this issue
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
The New AA has a policy of not checking bags through on a separate ticket unless the connecting carrier is oneworld. There's a lengthy thread in the AA forum.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:25 am

I am flying UA EWR-HNL (F), connecting on a separate ticket from HNL-KOA a few hours later. I'm trying to find some clarity on whether UA will check it through for me properly. UA forum and HA forum are both incredibly confusing on this issue
When (what dates) are you flying?

UA's policy change regarding separate tickets goes into effect March 1, 2015.

UA today will most likely check your bag through to your final destination, just bring both confirmations with you. If the flight is on or after March 1, I guess you'll have to see what they are actually doing after March 1. If they won't check it through you'll have to exit security in HNL claim your bag, walk over to the interisland terminal, check your bag and clear security. You said "a few hours later" so it shouldn't be a problem for you unless your flight is delayed.

HA may or may not do it if you are returning the same way and on separate tickets. Their policy is that they won't do it, but you might get lucky.

-David
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
...UA today will most likely check your bag through to your final destination, just bring both confirmations with you.
Make sure the confirmations have the HA ticket number on them.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I assume you mean one confirmation; as I wouldn't need the HA ticket # to show on the UA ticket.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If you want the UA CSR to interline your bags to your final destination, he/she will need both the confirmation # of your HA segment and that flight's HA ticket #.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:34 pm

Yes. I knew going in that it was the policy, but had read in a few places that there is some discretion, and thought perhaps since it was an F to F connection, I might be able to appeal to that discretion. But, if there is any discretion there, they sure didn't act like it -- they were quite adamant.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can I still get BoH Credit Card waiver?

Had to buy HA ticket OGG-HNL for early February last week while on road and did not have my BoH HA MC on me (bought w/ UA Visa card). Can I still get bag waiver by showing card at HA check-in counter or am I S.O.L. if I did not purchase w/ said card?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Had to buy HA ticket OGG-HNL for early February last week while on road and did not have my BoH HA MC on me (bought w/ UA Visa card). Can I still get bag waiver by showing card at HA check-in counter or am I S.O.L. if I did not purchase w/ said card?
Probably SOL, but YMMV... terms stated below:
[2] Complimentary 1st Checked Bag: The Primary Cardmember is eligible to earn one (1) complimentary first checked bag on Hawaiian Airlines-operated flights. International flights are excluded. Value of the first check bag is equivalent to the current "1st checked bag" fees listed on HawaiianAirlines.com/bagfees. Offer is also not valid for codeshare flight segments operated by Hawaiian Airlines and marketed by other airline partners. All ticket purchases (original and exchanges) must be made with the Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard premium product and purchased directly from Hawaiian Airlines.[/B] HA Vacation Package purchases do not qualify as direct purchases from Hawaiian Airlines. Applicable overweight and excess baggage fees will apply. See HawaiianAirlines.com/bagfees for complete terms and condition on the complimentary first checked bag benefit and general baggage policies for Hawaiian Airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.