Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Can I get both HA & US miles in this situation? Should I try? If so, how?

Can I get both HA & US miles in this situation? Should I try? If so, how?

Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

So, I have a question related to this issue, which I hope belongs here. Seems kind of minimal to have its own thread. I purchased a ticket through US's web site from OGG to PHX through HNL. OGG to HNL is a code share. It's all one ticket number, I think, and both segments come up whether I use my US record locator or the HA record locator. So, I should be good on interlining the bags. (People are right, though, it would only sell it to me with a 2.5 hour layover in HNL -- wiki wiki and wait.)

My question is whether I can get HA miles for the HA segment and US miles for the US segment and if so, how? The HA segment booked into H class, so no credit on US. Right now, only my US number is in reservation. I tend to want to keep it that way, because I don't want to jeopardize the 2910 miles, which I need to credit on US. Can I ask at check in that they put my HA number in for the inter-island segment, but not the US segment and then confirm at the gate with US in HNL? Or is this just to risky for 100 HA miles?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lkar
Or is this just to risky for 100 HA miles?
Based on my experience, it's without question too risky.

US and HA barely, barely, barely have a partnership any more. Most HA agents don't even see US in their system as a FF partner. I've had multiple instances in recent years of credit posting problems involving HA and US.

With a change like this, you run the risk of the US system believing that you changed the crediting of your entire trip to HA, not just the one segment. Your answer when you submit to US for credit will be, "We see that you credited your trip to your Hawaiian Miles account; you are only allowed to credit to one program. Thank you for flying US Airways." I give the chances of getting that sorted out between US and HA about 1% odds without extraordinary efforts.

For 100 miles, risking 2,910 (or maybe double that if it is a round-trip) just isn't worth the risk.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by lkar
So, I have a question related to this issue, which I hope belongs here. Seems kind of minimal to have its own thread. I purchased a ticket through US's web site from OGG to PHX through HNL. OGG to HNL is a code share. It's all one ticket number, I think, and both segments come up whether I use my US record locator or the HA record locator. So, I should be good on interlining the bags. (People are right, though, it would only sell it to me with a 2.5 hour layover in HNL -- wiki wiki and wait.)

My question is whether I can get HA miles for the HA segment and US miles for the US segment and if so, how? The HA segment booked into H class, so no credit on US. Right now, only my US number is in reservation. I tend to want to keep it that way, because I don't want to jeopardize the 2910 miles, which I need to credit on US. Can I ask at check in that they put my HA number in for the inter-island segment, but not the US segment and then confirm at the gate with US in HNL? Or is this just to risky for 100 HA miles?
Yes, you can get HawaiianMiles for the HA segment. Just make sure that you keep track of the six-letter HA confirmation code associated with your flight. After your trip is completed and the 2,910 miles post to your US account, simply visit HA's website (within 120 days) and fill out the online form for "retroactive flight miles." You'll need your HawaiianMiles number, the HA confirmation code, flight number, travel date, and valid e-mail address associated with the HawaiianMiles account. It might take up to eight weeks for the "retroactive flight miles" to post to your HawaiianMiles account; however, in my experience, it's usually takes less time than that. Here's a link to HA's online "retroactive flight miles" form...
http://www.hawaiianair.com/HawaiianM...-flight-miles/
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Ok, this sounds like a good solution -- I'll keep my US number in the reservation and confirm with the GA in HNL that the US segment will credit to my account and then I'll seek retroactive credit for the HA segment. The 100 miles is obviously nominal, but I hate leaving miles on the table! Thanks much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.