Hawaiian's Premium Meals

Old Jan 15, 2012, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Hawaiian's Premium Meals

Aloha,
I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the premium meals Hawaiian sells on their mainland flights. How exactly does that service work?

Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by k11shagba
Aloha,
I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the premium meals Hawaiian sells on their mainland flights. How exactly does that service work?

Thanks
As the flight attendants are serving the "complimentary" meals simply tell them that you want one of the "premium meals" and have your credit card or debit card ready. The selection varies somewhat by flight and the cost is either $10 or $12, depending on what meal one selects. While the "premium meals" aren't too bad, I find that the "ready-to-go" sushi, salads, and sandwiches from a local grocery store, like Trader Joe's to be better-tasting and more economical.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Mahalo
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by k11shagba
Aloha,

Thanks
I've done it. Just tell the FAs you want to purchase one (do it early on as the number of premium meals is limited). No complaints from this haole, I've gotten the sushi plate twice, quite good.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
I second the sushi plate. It has changed over the last year as it's chicken portion is smaller. Still, nice meal when you are trapped in a metal tube.

They sometimes run out by row 26. As the poster above said...ask early...they say they can't promise you but...i they normally put one aside.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:14 pm

Yeah, let them know ASAP- I've reached the end of the line once, I guess it was a hungry plane.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Premier Executive
I'm a big fan of Hawaiian airlines. Maholo for serving free meals. That said, I haven't found the HA premium meals very premium. On my last flight I got a premium meal and the FA said it included a free drink (wine, beer, liquor), so deducting the cost of the drink if you are going to order one anyway they are not that expensive. But, still, Hawaiian could learn from Air Canada's $7 meal offerings which I like better.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Yummy...that sushi plate is ono!

The premium meals are on a rotating menu cycle so please check the HA website prior to your flight for the current menu: http://www.hawaiianair.com/Services/in-flight-dining

And for our non-HA frequent fliers please remember, HA is a cashless airline so have your debit/credit card ready to pay.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:28 pm

I really don't get some of the things Hawaiian does.

First off- LOVE- that they still offer some kind of free meals. Appreciate the gesture.

With that said, I don't understand the pricing for the "Premium meals". The prices are too high for what you get, and if you account for value lost (free meal), it is even worse. It's like they are wanting me to give up $15-$18 of utility/cash for a (marginally) better meal. I don't get it. I bet they don't sell many.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:52 am

Programs: HA, UA, DL, HHonors, Hyatt, Chase
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
I really don't get some of the things Hawaiian does.

First off- LOVE- that they still offer some kind of free meals. Appreciate the gesture.

With that said, I don't understand the pricing for the "Premium meals". The prices are too high for what you get, and if you account for value lost (free meal), it is even worse. It's like they are wanting me to give up $15-$18 of utility/cash for a (marginally) better meal. I don't get it. I bet they don't sell many.
you can get both the free meal and a premium meal. on my last flight from HNL-LAS I had the free meal and was still hungry, so I purchased a cheeseburger for $12. It also comes with an alcoholic drink. so if you factor in the $6 for the beer (16oz) that came with it, its not that bad.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:57 am

Ah, I wasn't aware of the alcoholic beverage included. If i'm really hungry, or traveling companion is, I could be tempted.

Was the burger any good? That's the part I don't get. $12 burger vs. free ham sandwich (or whatever), but you have considerably increased this value proposition for me...
Old May 2, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: HA, UA, DL, HHonors, Hyatt, Chase
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
Ah, I wasn't aware of the alcoholic beverage included. If i'm really hungry, or traveling companion is, I could be tempted.

Was the burger any good? That's the part I don't get. $12 burger vs. free ham sandwich (or whatever), but you have considerably increased this value proposition for me...
The burger was just ok. nothing special. I only got it because i was still hungry after eating the free meal. next time, if hungry, I'll get the sushi set everyone seems to be recommending.
Old May 2, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, Flying Blue Gold, HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold (TK Elite)
Red face

The premium meals in HA Y are not bad-- the price point is reasonable for a decent meal. I will not eat the free meals-- they do not appeal to me just based on the quality of the food. HA usually has the burger, chicken taco salad, or sushi available on Hawaii/West Coast USA flights, but they do sell out fast.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
FC?

Does First get the Premium meal free? Sounds like they should, but you never know in this day. Or are they served off an entirely different menu?
Old May 3, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
in frist it is a different menu and free. but for the price defferent of frist class and coach ticket not worth it to me as it is only about a 5 to 6 hour flight. and i sleep most of the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.