New HA Hub at OGG

Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by n3ynd
We just today booked non-stop HA-33 & HA 34 LAX to OGG & back for 1st week of July. Appears to be a 767-300 which needs about 7,900 feet to take off.
That's for maximum takeoff weight (MTOW). HA's planes hardly ever takeoff at the maximum weight limit; thus, they can takeoff and land using a shorter runway. Here's a link to a PDF by Boeing entitled "767 Airplane Characteristics for Airport Planning" that shows the distances, weights, and flap settings for takeoffs and landings...
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/767.pdf
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:20 am

We just today booked non-stop HA-33 & HA 34 LAX to OGG & back for 1st week of July. Appears to be a 767-300 which needs about 7,900 feet to take off.
Several airlines operate 763s to Maui. (UA used to operate 777-200s, including a non-stop to Chicago.)

The runway construction planning is just starting. It will take a while to get to the actual construction phase.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 19, 2012 at 10:33 am
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by KOADude
That's for maximum takeoff weight (MTOW). HA's planes hardly ever takeoff at the maximum weight limit; thus, they can takeoff and land using a shorter runway. Here's a link to a PDF by Boeing entitled "767 Airplane Characteristics for Airport Planning" that shows the distances, weights, and flap settings for takeoffs and landings...
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/767.pdf
NICE info!
I figured the 7,900 feet must be a max. situation since no runway on Maui is near that long. Still the crew must get a little nervous putting the throttles all the way up when taking off with a full passenger load on a relatively short runway. I know I do!. Even here in Pittsburgh they have 11500 feet and 10500 feet runways and the planes are usually much smaller than the 767.
We thought about taking Delta to JFK, the new HA A330-200 from JFK to HNL and then Island Air to OGG but the flight time is just too much for us at one time.
We'll be staying overnight near LAX both directions. Much more relaxing and I may get to see my brother that lives in LA.
BTW, the 6 nights at the Sheraton in Maui & the HA flights are both free using the credit card points that I learned about here on FlyerTalk. Great resource!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier Silver
NICE info!
I figured the 7,900 feet must be a max. situation since no runway on Maui is near that long. Still the crew must get a little nervous putting the throttles all the way up when taking off with a full passenger load on a relatively short runway. I know I do!. Even here in Pittsburgh they have 11500 feet and 10500 feet runways and the planes are usually much smaller than the 767.
Nearly all airlines have "operations agents" or "load control agents" that ensure that the passenger, cargo, and fuel loads are balanced and within operational and legal limits, so that an aircraft can take off safely from a particular airport. With all of the checklists and paperwork that HA pilot's are required to do before takeoff, they're more likely to be bored than nervous.

We thought about taking Delta to JFK, the new HA A330-200 from JFK to HNL and then Island Air to OGG but the flight time is just too much for us at one time.
We'll be staying overnight near LAX both directions. Much more relaxing and I may get to see my brother that lives in LA.
BTW, the 6 nights at the Sheraton in Maui & the HA flights are both free using the credit card points that I learned about here on FlyerTalk. Great resource!
Although I would've preferred that HA establish a new hub on the Big Island instead of Maui, having one at OGG should make it more convenient and relaxing for folks arriving from the continental U.S.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Now if we could just get an east coast non-stop to OGG.
That would be awesome!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
hopefully if JFK-HNL does well they will consider JFK-OGG, that would be great!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:46 am

The Kahului Airport (OGG) master plan is online ...

http://kahuluiairport.rmtowill.com/w...ar_13_2012.pdf

They are talking about 9,300' runways 2-20 and parallel runways and buying a bunch of land.

There's a nice trail behind the airport that I used to ride my bike on, a lot of people use it. Basically a lot of that land they wan to take I think is all parkland right now. So that's basically a pipe dream.

-David
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The Kahului Airport (OGG) master plan is online ...

http://kahuluiairport.rmtowill.com/w...ar_13_2012.pdf

They are talking about 9,300' runways 2-20 and parallel runways and buying a bunch of land.

There's a nice trail behind the airport that I used to ride my bike on, a lot of people use it. Basically a lot of that land they wan to take I think is all parkland right now. So that's basically a pipe dream.

-David
Seems rather conservative on anticipated growth of tourism?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:57 am

I just skimmed the Master Plan for OGG. Very interesting that they want to build a parallel runway. Lookng at the projection for passenger traffic, my guess they would use the shorter of the two runways for interisland flights and the longer runway for the heavies coming and going to the mainland. Similar to what HNL does with the runway close to the terminal and the reef runway.

As for the length of the runway versus the aircraft, I would agree that for the 767 and the 777, either plane would need a long runway in order to get off of the ground safely. That said, I have flown OGG to DFW and OGG to ORD on an AA 767. One can imagine that the aircraft is full of passengers, luggage and cargo. Plane got off the ground with runway to spare. I get more nrevous coming into OGG. I have been on aircraft that have used all of the runway to stop. Even the interisland flights that land too far down the runway.

We have the same thing here in Rhode Island with PVD. They want to extend the runway so flights can get to the west coast. We need the longer runway more so for the summer time. When the temperature is high along with the humidity, apparently lift sucks. Planes right now do fly non stop to Las Vegas, Denver and Phenix.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Seems rather conservative on anticipated growth of tourism?
I thought so too, but it could be the scale of the graph. Then again, they show a peak from a few years ago, and never really getting back to that peak? So, yeah, I don't understand what's going on there either.

And if that's actually true, why do they need a rental car center and an additional parallel runway and all that land they intend to use?

And they mentioned doing the rental car center thing now, if they go with the "no close" option on the runway 2-20 rebuild.

-David
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bishope2
We have the same thing here in Rhode Island with PVD. They want to extend the runway so flights can get to the west coast. We need the longer runway more so for the summer time. When the temperature is high along with the humidity, apparently lift sucks. Planes right now do fly non stop to Las Vegas, Denver and Phenix.
Yeah, PVD has always had visions of tons of flights to the West Coast, if they could just lengthen the runway a few hundred feet!

Back in the day -- early 80's -- landing at PVD entailed landing quickly and applying all available braking capability and, then, turning off at the end of the runway! It was particularly fun on rainy and snowy days!

Hopefully, OGG can get their runway up to par for longer transpacific flights.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:18 am

30 Day Comment Period Opens on Kahului Airport Access Road

http://mauinow.com/2012/03/26/30-day...t-access-road/

Looks like it forks off of Dairy Rd and goes behind Maui Marketplace (Lowe's, Office Max), crosses Hana Hwy, and heads straight into the airport.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:27 am

Formeraa, nothing has changed at PVD. Sometimes you get the pilot who "misjudged"his or her landing position and ends up stopping just before the end of the runway. As for rainy/snowy days, forget it. If they don't land just past the numbers your thrown into the seat in front of you when they are braking. You know what I mean. One time several years ago while flying DL on a 757, it was raining while landing. The pilot landed too far down the runway. By the time we stopped he or she had just enough room to turn the nose onto the taxiway without having to back up. A little nervous on that. Our most recent trip into OGG was the same thing and that was on a HA 717. Pilot landed too far down the runway. Even with all of the braking, barely had enough room to turn the nose onto the runway.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
30 Day Comment Period Opens on Kahului Airport Access Road

http://mauinow.com/2012/03/26/30-day...t-access-road/

Looks like it forks off of Dairy Rd and goes behind Maui Marketplace (Lowe's, Office Max), crosses Hana Hwy, and heads straight into the airport.
Noticed the usual NIMBY'S (Sierra Club, Maui Yesterday) are already beating the drum of destruction on any changes. Sheesh, get a life, preferably somewhere else like maybe Molokai. This is already a 2 lane rut (route) through the cane fields around Puunene Sugar Mill and travelled by a TON of cars every day. It bypasses all the Malahini traffic down Dairy since most visitors don't know it exists. Making it a 4 lane access road is an intelligent thing to do...which is why the ecofreaks oppose it.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Aloha1
This is already a 2 lane rut (route) through the cane fields around Puunene Sugar Mill and travelled by a TON of cars every day. It bypasses all the Malahini traffic down Dairy since most visitors don't know it exists. Making it a 4 lane access road is an intelligent thing to do...which is why the ecofreaks oppose it.
That's not the access road. I drive that road often, since I live upcountry. They really need to repave it again.

The new access road is going to create a new intersection with Hana Hwy, and it looks like Dairy road will be re-oriented to turn into the road that accesses Walmart and Home Depot and then intersect with the new access road. There isn't much you can discern about it, other than that picture from Maui Now, as I can't find a damn thing about it on state DOT or airports web site.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 2, 2012 at 6:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.