Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Comparing F experience on HA from OAK to OGG with UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list

I recently flew in F on HA from OAK to OGG (and back) via HNL. This was my first time flying HA. All of my previous trips to Hawaii had been on UA from SFO in both F and Y.

My overall impression of HA was positive. The vast majority of the staff on the ground and in the air were friendly and helpful. You didn't get the sense of gumpiness that you do sometimes at UA. That being said, there still some suburb crews on UA.

As for the HA F product, I was on a 763 in both directions. I thought that that seat was roomy and comfortable. The handheld IFE player was decent but I'm sure that the seatback version on the 330 is better. The food was mixed. The outbound meal consisted of a muffin, small fruit plate, rice with mini bits of chicken and a salmon omelet, followed by a slate piece of carrot cake. There was no choice or options. Simply put, it was tasteless and gross and the various food totally mismatched... no where near what a F meal should be, including the pathetic meals that UA serves these days. Did their celebratory chef really come up with this concoction? I've seen a lot bad airline meals in my many travels, and unfortunatley this had at to be in the top 10%.

The return dinner was much better. The short ribs, cheese plate and pasta were tasty and followed by a nice choclate cherry dessert. The wine was overflowing.

The service was attentive and nice, but don't expect a huge difference from UA (i.e. such as you would see on an Asian carrier.) On the whole, I'd fly HA again especially if I could get an F price that was significantly lower than UA (in my case, the F price from OAK to OGG was about $700 lower than UA.)
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
David, approx. 6 weeks ago I had the same flights as you!

And like you, my overall impression was that I'd fly HA again to the Hawaiian Islands again for sure. The price for the F tixs was indeed much less than UA and even the HA flight from SFO too when departing from OAK.

The service was superb. The FAs were very attentive as well as the ground staff too. And like you, I found the meal on the returning to mainland flight better than the outbound leg. But, for me, even the Lomi-salmon omelette was better than the breakfast omelettes I've had on way too many UA flights!

In the end, it was much better to cross the bridge to fly out of OAK despite heading to SFO from my place in SOMA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.