Chartering for 200+

Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Chartering for 200+

I've been reading through some of the threads here about chartering as I try and figure out how to price out a charter.

I have 200+ people trying to get from Newark (EWR) to Des Moines (DSM) for a competition.

I contacted a private charter company (Global Aviation) and was quoted this huge amount (like 220,000) which works out to around $800 per ticket... which is double the commercial rate (although a lot less hassle!) But I can't justify that.

After reading through things here, people seem to suggest contacting a tour agency or broker that frequently does these things.

Can anyone recommend one? Or at least give me the name of several so I can compare?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Just a quick note on the percieved high cost of airline charter:

While the cheapest coach seat is going for 200 on United, as you get closer to departure or the plane starts filling up, those seats become 300, 400, 500, maybe even 1000. The total price if every ticket sold may indeed average out to much higher than the single low discount ticket you can buy.

When it comes to air charter, the carrier needs to make up for the lack of such dynamic pricing, and thus the cost per seat is not going to be akin to that cheap single seat.

Also, I would consider looking into airlines that have a strong presence in the NYC market. Going with a charter-only airline means they will need to fly that plane to you in EWR, then fly it back from DSM, then fly it into DSM, and back out of EWR. This is alot of additional flying, which you need to pay for.

Flying United, for example, they should be able to cycle a 737 to fly your route to DSM, then cycle it back into the fleet somewhere like ORD, which woukd significantly cut back on any deadheading costs.

A rough estimate to use is approximately $15,000 to $30,000 per hour of flying time for a jet (take a look at http://www.avchart.com/quotes/charter-quotes.asp) DSM is just about 2 hours, so you would be looking at at least 4 hours, if not more in the ballpark of 6 to 8, depending on the nesessary deadheading involved.

The alternative would be to break up your group into more manageable groups if say 40-50, and go through an airline's group sales department, and try and accomidate the group on 5 routings which get in roughly the same time. Keep in mind too, the headache that baggage fees would mean, and also factor that into your pricing of the trip.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I would definitely look for several bids, especially with airlines based in the New York area. I would look at DL, UA and AA (possibly WN and B6). Submit a request to both the charter department and the group sales department and see which ends up making the most sense for your group. I'd love to hear how it ends up working out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.