Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Group and Event Travel Planning (Forum is Closed for Posting)
Reload this Page >

PHL- or NYC-HKG early July: best time for group to book for lowest fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt

I have a large group (about 40 people) who need to go to HKG around July 1. We can fly from PHL or from any airport in NYC. We do not have to travel together, as long as we are all in HKG by July 3.

I'm presently finding Y fares to HKG for around $1600. That seems high to me. From your experience, would you anticipate fares to HKG for July travel to drop, and when? Also, do you think there is an advantage in booking as one group?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
most airlines will give 5% or so off to groups of 10 or more....call the group res # often found on the web site...

are you looking via orbitz or other to see the prices for a bunch of carriers?

try to sked for mid week if you can....often better prices...

1600 doesn't seem high for july.....europe fares get up there in the summer....
Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
usually for an a/l group discount, there is an assigned code....should you arrange for this, be sure to have a paper w/ the rules to give each one saying that there's no refund, etc etc & if they cancel call the airline & not you....or, get a travel agent to do the admin etc....
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
End of June/beginning of July is often known as the annual summer migration of foreign student going home or oversea folks leaving HKG for their vacation, and to escape the heat but mostly the humidity. Prices will unlikely come down, if at all, as demand often exceed available supply of seats, and there are many flyers with "elite" status on these routes upgrading to J/F as it's easy to meet/exceed the lowest tiers with just 2 annual RT.

Are there any preference or requirements for carriers - CO/UA out of EWR, DL or CX or AA code-shared (with 4 daily departures out of JFK, including 3 non-stops on 777's) with likely the best options for blocking & booking a group deal for 40 people, with discounts. For mid-week travel out and in-bound via JFK, looking at around $1,450's p/p + cost of ground transport between PHL and JFK (maybe, RT charter bus for the group as a whole if flying together, etc.)

An established travel agency in PHL accustomed to making group deals with the carriers might be able to work up a package, i.e. check or call around. Maybe one of the Chinatown-based agents or consolidators? Of course, that doesn't preclude the option of dealing with the airline's group travel desk to see what they can do directly ...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Feb 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A great Thread for the new FT Group and Event Travel Planning, forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.