South Florida Suggestions?

Old Jul 27, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
South Beach

Had a fabulous weekend in South Beach even though it rained Saturday.

A couple quick recommendations/ comments.

Stayed at the new W South Beach and was upgraded to a gorgeous Oasis Suite which was very well appointed. Full hotel report w/ pics will be posted in the SPG forum. The scene at the W was a mix between young straights, NFL players and their entourages, some random families clearly there on SPG points and a decent contingent of gays. All the gays naturally ended up at the same side of the pool (the side that got sun all day long) so we met a bunch of great people..just sucks it was on our last day so we didn't go out with them.

Saturday- we were told by our friend NOT to go to Twist unless we wanted an STD. Naturally, curiosity got the best of us, so after cocktails and dinner we decided to go there to see what it was about. There is a front room which is just a tame bar for locals. BTW you can still smoke in Miami bars, which I hated. We then proceeded to the back bar which was basically a prostitution den. I don't want to violate any FT T&Cs, so maybe I'll just save the details for the next FT Do, but I'll just say we got an eyeful and had to leave before, as my friend had put it, anyone got an STD. It was very rowdy and it was still before midnight. The gays we met at the pool on Sunday apparently stayed until 5am. I hope they get a chance to visit a clinic this week!

As for the rest of South Beach, we were only there for a weekend so we just relaxed at the pool and had a fabulous dinner at Bond Street.

We got such cheap airfare to FLL, we got the car service Friday night for $80 all in and then took a cab from the hotel to the airport yesterday which was $76 without tip. Definitely recommend the Go shuttle airport service.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
ROTFLMAO!! Cannot wait to hear the details next month Brian!
Old Jul 27, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The only safe (and not touristy trap) place to eat on Las Olas West is Cheesecake Factory, unless you want to drop half your travel budget at Jackson's for steak dinner.
<gasp> did someone on the GLBT forum just suggest the Cheescake Factory?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Their cuisine theme is (fake) Floribbean - but they have some of the worst service of any restaurant in the area (and that says a lot, considering it's South Florida we're talking about). I had no idea there were male dancers, or they were available for 'offsite fun' - are you sure you're not thinking of Johnny's (for chicken) or Boardwalk?

I never go to Mangos, and generally avoid all the touristy places since I'm a local - I was just curious why others were turned off by Mangos.
I think we are talking about different places. The one I was referring to is the one in SoBe on Ocean Dr. And they have female dancers, it's a str8 bar

Originally Posted by pitbrian
Saturday- we were told by our friend NOT to go to Twist unless we wanted an STD. Naturally, curiosity got the best of us, so after cocktails and dinner we decided to go there to see what it was about. There is a front room which is just a tame bar for locals. BTW you can still smoke in Miami bars, which I hated. We then proceeded to the back bar which was basically a prostitution den. I don't want to violate any FT T&Cs, so maybe I'll just save the details for the next FT Do, but I'll just say we got an eyeful and had to leave before, as my friend had put it, anyone got an STD. It was very rowdy and it was still before midnight. The gays we met at the pool on Sunday apparently stayed until 5am. I hope they get a chance to visit a clinic this week!
I should've added Twist to the no-go list with Mango's. Did you go to other places like Score or Halo? And did you ever make it Vlada?
Old Jul 27, 2009, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
<gasp> did someone on the GLBT forum just suggest the Cheescake Factory?
Sure, why not? They have healthy salads and entrees perfect for sharing romantically.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
I should've added Twist to the no-go list with Mango's. Did you go to other places like Score or Halo? And did you ever make it Vlada?
We were supposed to go to Halo, but ended up meeting friends at this rooftop bar at the Townhouse Hotel, which was nice, but kind of boring (read: straight). Didn't end up making it to Vlada because we just stayed in SoBe since we didn't have a car.

I really want to go back again this fall/winter for a weekend. Our friends told us the Palace Hotel on Ocean Dr had an amazing Saturday afternoon drag show where the queens actually run out and stop traffic and do all these crazy stunts.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 5:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Brian let me know next time you go, I have not been down to SoFL in almost a year! I would love to go check out Vlada Miami and the drag sounds like a blast as well.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Brian let me know next time you go, I have not been down to SoFL in almost a year! I would love to go check out Vlada Miami and the drag sounds like a blast as well.
+1
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:12 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Originally Posted by JCinNYC
+1
A SoBe mini-do?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.