Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

First time to SYD - New Years or Mardi Gras

Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Hey All,

I would like to jet off to SYD, say 2-3 weeks, maybe a weekend in MEL etc. Would be my first time to OZ.

Been living in AMS for dog gone years, the whole idea of fags in flags is rather a non starter for moi, guys with no clothes on gyrating away, too common currency , and yeah only hit the scene when Im traveling. You know, culture and ambience with some local fauna and flora..anyways..

With that in mind, what would you guys recommend.

Should I travel over new years, take in the fireworks over harbor bridge, ring in the new, smooching some temp flame or time it for Mardi Gras. I must admit I'm daunted by huge crowds..

Do the gays take over SYD for Mardi Gras?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:42 pm

If you're not big on the "fags in flags" thing - Mardi Gras is not for you. I don't live too far from Sydney, though I've never actually attended the parade it certainly is exactly what you want to steer clear from, going on your post. I've seen enough news reports (and heard enough from friends) to know the content!

That said - if you're not big on crowds then definitely avoid both! Mardi Gras is huge in the areas of the town the parade visits, and New Years positively takes over the entire place.

I would recommend New Year though, the fireworks are brilliant, partying starts fairly early and the atmosphere is fantastic. Plus, we celebrate the New Year quite a bit ahead of the (most of the) rest of the world, which is a nice little feeling!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks Synthetic..

Myself was quite partial towards new years eve..I have a bonus month of holiday to burn this year that I cant carry over. As for the parades, never even hit the one in AMS. Same ol everytime. Gosh I am not as jaded as I sound, just laying low for the while! eh

Only thing going for Mardi Gras was that it would count towards earning status.. rather than having ur tier miles reset when the clock strike 12.

Although Im the sort that tends to buy the shirt in both colors when just too confused!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
SYD is an amazing city with much to offer, particularly its beautiful beaches. Going for the first time you would want to experience this not just total partying. My suggestion is for New Years and stay for the next two weeks or so as many Aussies take holiday at that time. Personally, I will be there from Jan 2 through Jan 12 to escape the then cold NYC winter.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Ah well then its largely settled. (me thinks!)

Christmas to week or two on new years see whats availabilities are like.

Actually, also would have lined up some job interviews for maybe my next life in Sydney so wouldnt just be all tour happy bliss.

So basically the aussies do like the roman exodus in August. Surely be some in town left to fend for the visiting team.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.