Philippines recs?

Old May 22, 2009, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Philippines recs?

I'm planning a trip to the Philippines later this year (late Nov/early Dec) and would welcome some helpful recommendations. Tentatively my plan is as follows:
  • 2 or 3 nights in Manila to get over jet lag
  • A week at least on the perfect beach: slightly off radar but accessible within a day's journey from Manila, not too heavily touristed but with simple services, surf calm enough for swimming/snorkeling, pristine water quality (unlike White Beach or Puerto Galera), fine sand and swaying palm trees a plus
  • 2 nights back in Manila to shift gears before flying home.
What I'm needing help on are these questions:
  • Is there a clean, comfortable place to stay that you could recommend in Manila? Preferably with free WiFi and breakfast included. Doesn't have to be near Makati, but easy access to a friendly bar (sans macho dancers, ladyboys or rentboys) would be nice.
  • What beach destination would you suggest? I'm looking for something other than Puerto Galera or Boracay White Beach, they seem way too touristed and I have concerns over ocean water quality.
  • Any suggestion for places to stay at that perfect beach? I'd rather not stay at a sequestered resort (done that), nor would I like a tent on the beach (done that too), something in between on the beach (preferably with WiFi) would be good. Small hotel, modest cottage, B&B...you get the idea.
Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
Boracay is beautiful

Is this your first trip to the Philippines? If not, please do not discount Boracay. It is stunningly beautiful, a nice mix of gay/straight, and crystal clear waters. You can walk everywhere, and you'll meet great people from all over the place. I have been twice before, and I am returning again in November. Manilla is not a very pretty city, and there is one gay area, although I forget the name of it. I am staying at the Renaissance in Makati, but I am sure there are cheaper hotels around. Have a great trip!

For domestic flights you'll need to go to www.cebupacificair.com or www.zestair.com/ph. Domestic flights are pretty reasonable.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Here's a revision to my earlier request: I'm not refusing to look at Puerto Galera for a beach vacation, I just don't want to be on the White Beach there. I've been leaning towards Coco Beach on Puerto Galera (especially the butler service ) but I'm open to more suggestions.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by marais
...Is there a clean, comfortable place to stay that you could recommend in Manila? ...What beach destination would you suggest?... Any suggestion for places to stay at that perfect beach?
My companion and I returned from Manila (and Boracay) about two weeks ago. In Manila, we used small, boutique hotels this time, the Celeste in Makati (across the road from the Renaissance), and the G Hotel on Roxas Blvd in Malate. Both stays were good (and very gay-friendly) - the Celeste is a notch higher in quality, but the G is well-located within walking distance of the Malate nightlife (the usual caution about walking alone at night). Both have b'fast included (for the Celeste, only if booked direct) and free wi-fi.

There are lots of good beaches there - the Hundred Islands south of Manila; Bicol, etc, but I don't know what accomodations to recommend as I haven't been to those places in a while. Keep in mind that in the Philippines, a lot of hotels are either lux/semi-lux or just shabby, with few in the middle. Years ago, I earned my PADI scuba cert at the Coral Cove, outside Sabang in Puerto Galera; can't say for sure how the Coral Cove is today. Boracay is my favorite beach and thus far, I've managed to stay away from the tourists and the high-end resorts (the Shangri-La has come to Boracay!) in favor of the simpler beach hotels.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 2:24 pm

Amanpulo

Book the Romance or Dive Package at Amanpulo, it includes everything and more. Yes its expensive but worth it.www.amanresorts.com
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Slightly OT: I've chuckled because the two times I've clicked on this thread, the sidebar advertisement is for a "dating" service that advertises "Find your Philipina beauty!" The ad includes a picture of a lovely young lady. (Who I'm guessing is not transsexual.)

The software matching advertisements to page content isn't quite yet perfected.

Okay. Back to the actual thread topic!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kudzu
Boracay is my favorite beach and thus far, I've managed to stay away from the tourists and the high-end resorts (the Shangri-La has come to Boracay!) in favor of the simpler beach hotels.
My planning is done, and thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll start out at the Pan Pacific in Malate, then go to Boracay to a modest little inn (highly rated by TripAdvisor) in Station 3, away from the mid-beach bustle. A night back at Pan Pacific before my flight home.

Not planning on going out into Malate at night, I'm not much for the nightlife (or the risk) anyway.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by marais
My planning is done, and thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll start out at the Pan Pacific in Malate, then go to Boracay to a modest little inn (highly rated by TripAdvisor) in Station 3, away from the mid-beach bustle. A night back at Pan Pacific before my flight home.

Not planning on going out into Malate at night, I'm not much for the nightlife (or the risk) anyway.
Trip report?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:29 am

We are going to be in MNL Aug 14th...for 5 nights.

Any suggestions to day trip that we can take, out of the city ?
I was in MNL many many moons ago. Just barely remember going to Imelda's palace to look at her hordings, and some water falls outside of town.
Anything gay that is worth while to venture out at nite for ? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I did a nice day trip to a place called Pansanjang Falls I think. Low key domestic tourists place but a nice break from the city. We rented a car with driver for the day...
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:27 pm

Yup...it's the Falls I went to. Thanks for the headup.

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I did a nice day trip to a place called Pansanjang Falls I think. Low key domestic tourists place but a nice break from the city. We rented a car with driver for the day...
It was kindof scary, our taxi pulled into the area, all the locals kids swarmed over the car. Mind you this was like 25 yrs ago.
Was this the same for you ?
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:05 pm
Suspended

How "gay" are the Philippines? I am wondering if it is fun to spend the Christmas/New Years holidays in the Philippines as compared to say Thailand.
I will be traveling solo.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by zigzag
Book the Romance or Dive Package at Amanpulo, it includes everything and more. Yes its expensive but worth it.www.amanresorts.com
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
How "gay" are the Philippines? I am wondering if it is fun to spend the Christmas/New Years holidays in the Philippines as compared to say Thailand.
I will be traveling solo.
^
We stayed one night at the Peninsula in Manila before heading to Amanpulo. It was the perfect holidays. Amanpulo is very gay friendly and many other gay couples were staying there at the same time.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cdric
^
We stayed one night at the Peninsula in Manila before heading to Amanpulo. It was the perfect holidays. Amanpulo is very gay friendly and many other gay couples were staying there at the same time.
How is gay nightlife? Lots to do? Like Bangkok?
Old May 13, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, B6 Mosaic, VX Silver
I've been to Manila six times in the past three years and am seriously considering moving there. At the moment, OBar in Ortigas is the best thing going. It's just to the north of the Sitel OJV call center, which you can find on Google Maps. I'd drop by around 1130pm and stick around until about 4am.

Chelu in Malate is also pretty fun, but gets started later, perhaps around 1am. If it's Friday, you may want to drop by Jardin Garden Club at the Remington Hotel in Resorts World Manila (Pasay, near the airport) after 11pm. It's mixed but very friendly. You could also check out House Manila on Saturday, in the basement of the Remington Hotel.

If you're into gogo boys (also called macho dancers), check out White Bird. Be sure to get there before midnight. You'll get an eyeful at about 1230am. Solution (near Libertad) is also very scenic.

Many clubs are mixed and quite gay friendly. Alas, Filipinos are shy so you will often need to make the first move.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.