Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

CMH-CVG-LEX-CRW Suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry

Somoeone asked a couple of years ago, but got no response.

One of the things I've decided to do this year is to check off the last of the 50 states I need to visit. I scored a very cheap flight to CMH despite the odd routing on the return (CMH-JFK-SEA). My plan is to pick up a car on arrival Saturday morning, and drive to knock Kentucky and West Virginia off my list as well.

Any recommendations for wholesome gay nightlife in Columbus, Cincinnati, Charleston or Lexington? (woo hoo!). I haven't decided on my route yet, so I'm open for suggestions.

Now...to find cheap fares to anywhere in Oklahoma and Iowa, and I'll be finished.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:59 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...incinnati.html an old thread on CVG with the most "popular" bar / nightclub mentioned.

Of your city list, Columbus probably is the most "gay friendly" city with the GLBT area being Short North - sorry can't be more specific though.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Agreed on CMH. Short North is a great area, but my info is outdated at the moment (lived there 7 years ago). Columbus is very friendly but please be careful late at night (area can be somewhat rough).
Old Mar 20, 2009, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

What about LEX and CRW (snicker)? That's where I'll end up overnighting.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
I only know the bars that were in LEX when I lived there in (gasp) 1991. But it's an absolutely beautiful area. Just get in your car and drive. Two places I recall being worth visiting were Pleasant Hill (the Shaker Community) and Natural Bridge State Resort (the route there was beautiful)
Old Mar 21, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks FBG. It really is just a road trip weekend, to collect some miles, and see a few places I've never been before.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
There's a place called The Broadway in Charleston. I was there on a Sunday night in late 2007 at it was pretty quiet. It's supposed to be decent on Saturday.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Old May 3, 2009, 2:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
CVG

I lived in Cincinnati for the past 4 years (just moved); here's what I know about gay life in the city. Mind you, I wasn't a huge partier, but did go out on occasion It's not the most happening place, but a nice, quiet place to live, or visit for a day or two.

- Adonis is sort of the "main" club, pretty mainstream. Music is pretty generic, but everyone goes here. East of downtown along the river.
- The Dock is a more "gritty" club, in downtown area. I only went there once.
- There's a couple places in the Northside neighborhood (along with a couple good restaurants like Honey, one of my favorites). Northside Tavern has good live music acts sometimes (it's not a gay place though, FYI). Serpent is supposed to be a leather bar, but my friends and I went a couple times and it seemed pretty mixed actually.
- Clifton (Gaslight district) is a pretty gay part of town. It was my favorite neighborhood, because Ludlow looked like "Main Street USA" in my imagination. Also a lot of Indian people in the neighborhood, so you can find 3-4 pretty good Indian restaurants within a few feet of each other! The neighborhood is sort of a liberal enclave in a largely conservative town, with a lot of professors and doctors living there (Univ. of Cincinnati and lots of hospitals are in Clifton).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.