Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Madrid question

Hey everyone, I will be visiting MAD soon and am curious. I plan to visit museums and gorge myself on culture by day but I'd also like to know good spots to go to meet guys. For what it's worth, middle eastern guys are my type.

Any of you have any information you could share? I've searched this forum to no avail; who has the inside scoop? Please feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Safe travels!

Last edited by Newperson2112; Jan 11, 2009 at 7:38 am Reason: To hide email from spammers
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Oh, one other thing

Does anyone here know of any particularly good tapas bars? Hopefully something authentic and not too touristy(and hopefully won't break the bank)?

Also, do any of you know how easy it is for those with dietary restrictions/allergens to "customize" their paella's? Is it easy to have one made without shrimp/lobster, etc? Are those requests unusual or will I have to go to BK () to "have it my way?"

Thanks again!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:46 pm

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
If you're allergic to seafood, don't ask for a seafood paella!!!! meat paellas also exist!!!!

I'm no expert on the MAD scene, but I guess you can find a lot of what you're looking for in Black&White...anyway, check the local gay guides and there's a lot of options...the advantage: most of the bars and clubs are close to each other. Take a look to http://www.gaymadrid.com ,it can be useful!
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, dragonfirebcn

I travel with an Epipen just in case but I never, ever want to have to use that thing. It's massive and looks painful. I have no interest in having a Pulp Fiction experience on my vacation.

Thanks for advice on the club too.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by Newperson2112
Also, do any of you know how easy it is for those with dietary restrictions/allergens to "customize" their paella's? Is it easy to have one made without shrimp/lobster, etc? Are those requests unusual or will I have to go to BK () to "have it my way?"
When I was in BCN with a friend who's a vegetarian, he finally went off on his own for his dinners. He felt that everything had meat/fish in it.

I realize that dietary restrictions/allergies are important, but in my mind, seafood is one of the great joys of traveling to Spain. Things we never see in the US like baby calamari, razor clams, and fresh anchovies.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I plan on eating all three

I'm not a picky eater but I, literally, can't eat lobster/crab/shrimp. That's why I was wondering about "customizing." I know it's different in each country but I don't want to risk it by eating paella in which the chef has simply picked out the big pieces of shellfish. That wouldn't do me any good.

Trust me, I plan on eating as much like the typical Madrileno(sp?) as possible. Bring on the churros and ensaimadas(which look good on that Bittman/Batali show).
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:04 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I can tell you this--when I went to Madrid, I found less English spoken there than in any other major European city I've visited. Break out the Spanish language lessons.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
You are going to have a great time in MAD. I really really like the people and the bars. You should have no problem finding bars to go to as they are all in the Chuecas neighborhood and you can walk from one to the next. Good luck, feel free to pm should you have any questions. I'm no expert, but I do speak Spanish in case there's something you don't understand. Buen viaje!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks, hotturnip and Juan

I speak a little Spanish so hopefully it'll all come flooding back to me in time for my trip. I've found the key to travel in countries where there's a language barrier is to schedule more lightly.

That way I'm not in a constant, hectic, rush. If I get lost, I'll just head in to the closest tapas bar for patas bravas and a pisco sour-it's amazing what that does to focus the mind(along with a chance to consult a map).

Thanks for the well-wishes, Juan.

Safe travels!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
BTW you might want to remove your e-mail address from the first post - there are spam bots out there that trawl through the web to harvest e-mails!
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcmatt
BTW you might want to remove your e-mail address from the first post - there are spam bots out there that trawl through the web to harvest e-mails!
Whew, thanks bcmatt. I'm not the most technologically savvy person!
Old Jan 16, 2009, 1:21 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
So US Airways (I know, I know, but I could use the bmi miles) is having a really great deal from NYC to MAD, including over Presidents Day. So tempted . . .

Anyone thinking of being in MAD that weekend?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:03 pm

Madrid is awsome. My spanish is nil to none - but body language and basic spanish helps. It's all around the Chueca. Though some have reported that a few clubs (i.e Liquid) has closed , but the guys are still there.

For a guide, go to the nightours site.

My travelling companion (who is jewish) the last time I was there, gave up on being Kosher.

The bacon was too good , in more ways than one.

I'm considering a trip back circa March. Slightly warm, but still in Europe.

I had the unfornate luck of being in BRU two weeks ago during the coldest night in 10 years.

Ick.

Last edited by meFIRST; Jan 16, 2009 at 7:16 pm
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
The bacon was too good , in more ways than one.

What?!?!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 2:23 pm

Don't forget the Strong Center.

It is just a little out of the way, but very walkable and open all night. It is great. I've been to Madrid many many times, and had a g-r-e-a-t time. And I don't know any spanish. I don't even know how to say "no."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.