Boycott Utah or not?

Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
In principle, I would like to boycott anything having to do with the Mormon Church in any state. I would also agree that hurting our fellow gay brothers and sisters by boycotting businesses for which they may be working is not helpful. I would strongly suggest that, as a group, we recommend that Sundance be relocated to a more gay friendly area. That would make a signficant statement, since money seems to be the catalyst for the Mormon Church to get involved in any anti-gay activities.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:59 am

A boycott of "Utah" makes no sense. Yes, that's where the church is based and yes, there are a lot of Mormons in Utah, but this would be roughly like boycotting Italy because you disagree with the Pope. Not only does your boycott have no meaningful effect on the people you are trying to boycott, but (as others have pointed out) you harm a lot of businesses owned by people who may hold your exact same viewpoint.

A boycott of church-affiliated businesses might make sense. I'm not sure if there's a list anywhere, but I think the giant new mall they're building downtown has substantial affiliations with the church, so that would be an example of a reasonable target when it eventually opens.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM
Originally Posted by jordyn
A boycott of "Utah" makes no sense. Yes, that's where the church is based and yes, there are a lot of Mormons in Utah, but this would be roughly like boycotting Italy because you disagree with the Pope. Not only does your boycott have no meaningful effect on the people you are trying to boycott, but (as others have pointed out) you harm a lot of businesses owned by people who may hold your exact same viewpoint.

A boycott of church-affiliated businesses might make sense. I'm not sure if there's a list anywhere, but I think the giant new mall they're building downtown has substantial affiliations with the church, so that would be an example of a reasonable target when it eventually opens.
I agree with you that to effect change, you have to hit the mormon church with the two things they cherrish the most: 1) their money, 2) their stealth. The recent demonstrations and publicity have been devastating for the church....everytime they are shown in a negative light, it impacts the missionaries that ring the door bells (this is what keeps the cash flowing). The church may continue to support our treatment as second class citizens, but believe me, they will never get caught leading the charge again.

The money issue is really difficult. The mormon church has their fingers in everything. And, their financial network is NOT based in SLC but in BOS. How else do you think a republican mormon gets elected to governor in one of the most liberal states in that nation?? MONEY!!!! They have 3 main investment firms that camophlage their investments making the trail even harder to follow.

In the end, publicity will ultimately cause the church to change its stand. It may take time, but being the good business people that they are, they will not risk the $$$ that could come from being on the right side of this issue. In the mean time, we all need to make sure we keep the publicity alive!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.