Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Madrid, Spain

Hi everyone I'm going to Madrid and Mallorca June 18-30 would aprreciate any input. Like in madrid which is the best area to stay. And any suggestions on any hot spots.

Thanks in advance

Russell
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
When I was in Mallorca a couple of years ago I stayed at a place called Portixol. It was very Wallpaper magazine looking. On the water. There was a fashion shoot happening at the time and it was all very glam.

Last edited by wiredboy10003; Nov 24, 2008 at 5:39 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 23, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
I was in Madrid last spring and I stayed at Hotel Room Mate Alica. I had a great two-story loft for €150/night. I could come up with some pictures if you're interested. The hotel was very close to the main shopping area (Sol) and very near the metro. Chueca was about a 15 minute walk. I'd recommend this hotel.

The Room Mate chain has another hotel practically in Chueca. It was fully booked while I was there but looked cool and was really close to nightlife.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by WillFlyer
The Room Mate chain has another hotel practically in Chueca. It was fully booked while I was there but looked cool and was really close to nightlife.
I walked past it in July '07 before it was open. A great location. It's really just the next public square over from Chueca Square. I think I'll try and stay there the next time I'm in MAD.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yes Room Mate Oscar has a great location if you want to stay nearby the Chueca night life. I stayed there early this year.
Room mate Mario is pretty nice too!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Any other suggestions for hotels in Madrid for a May weekend? Any American chains recommended? TIA
Old Mar 8, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I LOVE the Westin Palace Madrid. Its in a great area, close to all of the museums and not too far from Chueca. I don't know if you have any Starwood points/ status, but they are very generous with elites (as a plat I always get junior suite or better upgrade). They have a cash and points option for $90 US a night plus 4800 *wood points which is a great value. You can try trading for SPG points on coupon connection or PM any of us SPG whores if you want to trade for something.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Pitbrian: Thanks for all the great info
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Its been a number of years since I was in MAD, but I stayed at Hotel Arosa (a BW property), located just off the Gran Via. It was within walking distance of just about everything. While nothing fancy, I thought it was a good value.

Currently they're offering rates as low as €44/night when booking a 3-night stay. Smallest elevators I've ever been on, but fantastic location.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Also for cheapskates, the Melia chain is having a huge sale on hotel rooms, ending March 13. Rooms at the Tryp chain of hotels are going for €45 per night - awc4 and I are going to Madrid in November and we booked the Tryp Menfis.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I'll be in Madrid October 22-24.
Looks like I might go off-brand!
Also looking for gay bar/club/sauna experience in the last 18 months (since the last post on here).
For Hotels:
Trying to balance cost with location and possible status upgrades, etc. I am not familiar with the city or nightlife, but on quick study looks like I might spend some time in the Chueca area, with some of the gay nightlife. Anything central seems to be OK and easy to get around and to/from airport on the Metro.
Here are some options, along with my status:

IC Platinum Amb: IC costs EUR270, BOGO not available (only Club Rooms seem to be available).
HI Madrid gets decent reviews, EUR89 no breakfast, pay-for-WiFi.
Several other HIX seem to be located in far-flung suburbs but are around EUR49.

SPG Plat: Westin, sold out
Accor A-Club Platinum: Mercure (ex-Sofitel) EUR 115 incl. tax and breakfast, free WiFi, good reviews on TA.
Hilton Gold: Hilton Airport hotel EUR99, no city hotels
Hyatt Diamond: no hotels
So if it's close to the gay nightlife and the metro to/from the airport, I'd be on it.
The above-recommended Senator Granvia is a bit steep now for a "mini-room" (!) like EUR115.
"Room-mate Mario" was the only roommate.com place with availability, and it seems a bit steep at EUR136 without breakfast.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by kyushuman; Oct 8, 2010 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Keep checking the Westin- I stay there every time I'm in Madrid and absolutely love it. They routinely open up C+P space closer to the date. Its very central and walkable to Chueca (in NYC standards). They treat plats amazingly well- almost always upgrading to huge suites.

Enjoy MAD- one of my favorite cities!
Old Oct 8, 2010, 4:11 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A good option if you are price-sensitive

We had good luck bidding The Grand Via zone on Priceline and got a small but nice hotel that was a 10 min walk from Chueca. It was $50/night
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
Also for cheapskates, the Melia chain is having a huge sale on hotel rooms, ending March 13. Rooms at the Tryp chain of hotels are going for €45 per night - awc4 and I are going to Madrid in November and we booked the Tryp Menfis.
When will you be in Madrid? My BF and I are going to Spain Nov 5 to 14th, spending 3 days in MAD and 4 in BCN. We are still unsure about what to do in MAD (i.e. toledo, segovia, both, where to spend the night, etc)

We arrive MAD on Sat AM, and leave for BCN tues PM.

Any suggestions on itineraries would be appreciated!

DUH: just realized you posted in 09. lol. Still looking for tips though.
Also, we are probably staying at the Holiday Inn, as I have some points I would like to burn.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Winter

Anyone have any experience on how MAD is during the winter? i went to BCN a couple of years ago and had a blast. It was mild and the bars were still packed.
I'm thinking MLK weekend (so yes, the heart of winter).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.