Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Sartorial Question for Left Coast Types

Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:26 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: United

I rarely travel to California for business, but I have a 4-day conference at the beginning of December in LA. People will be attending from all over the country. I'm wondering if I can wear summer weight fabrics, i.e. linen, and lighter colors, or is it necessary to stick to the New York uniform of black, blue, or grey?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
I've lived in Ca (SF) for five years and have never had a problem with summer farbrics and light colours. I can't imagine LA is any dfferent. That said, I work in a relatively progressive business and we wouldn't dream of wearing a suit. jacket or tie to work anyway. But I'd think you'd be fine.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Hey Ken- Lighter (color and weight) fabrics are the most appropriate. When I travel west in the winter I always forget and bring my east coast clothes. Even light cashmere is miserable in LA or SF. I'd probably steer clear of the white linen Miami Vice suit though.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:53 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
I'd probably steer clear of the white linen Miami Vice suit though.
And wouldn't you know, that's what I had in mind. With an unbuttoned turquoise shirt and lots of jewelry, I was thinking that would be just the ticket.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Ken: not sure if you've heard the awful news, but Winter is finally upon us here in Los Angeles. Although it was 85 during the day once this week, it's been getting downright chilly at night, sometimes dropping into the low 60's. I fear that by December we may even see numbers in the 50's. To make matters worse, they say it's going to rain next week.

That said, in LA you can never go wrong with wearing black & dark colors. Save the pastels for Miami.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Ken: not sure if you've heard the awful news, but Winter is finally upon us here in Los Angeles. Although it was 85 during the day once this week, it's been getting downright chilly at night, sometimes dropping into the low 60's. I fear that by December we may even see numbers in the 50's. To make matters worse, they say it's going to rain next week.
Oh my goodness - do let us know how you cope!

p.s. I'll let you know the first time the temperature here makes it above 50.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KenCT
I rarely travel to California for business, but I have a 4-day conference at the beginning of December in LA. People will be attending from all over the country. I'm wondering if I can wear summer weight fabrics, i.e. linen, and lighter colors, or is it necessary to stick to the New York uniform of black, blue, or grey?
Haha I would imagine you be asking this question after 20-something degrees in New Haven this past few days (I live here).

I go to the west coast a lot, and I could survive the day in summer weight fabrics, though an extra jacket or sportscoat would be better at night.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 3:08 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

No Don Johnson 4 me

Originally Posted by futureacnp
Haha I would imagine you be asking this question after 20-something degrees in New Haven this past few days (I live here).
A fellow New Havener on the FT GLBT board? Who knew? Yes, it reached a balmy 36 today. But I was in Greece in September and in the Carribean this month, so still haven't brought out the winter clothes. Was hoping I could get by with summer business wear, but I guess that It'sAbout... is right - dark colors it will be.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
And wouldn't you know, that's what I had in mind. With an unbuttoned turquoise shirt and lots of jewelry, I was thinking that would be just the ticket.
The perfect accessory for this outfit? A red Ferrari!

Wanna borrow my tube of bronzer?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
The perfect accessory for this outfit? A red Ferrari!

Wanna borrow my tube of bronzer?
Don't forget to wax. (Not the Ferrari.)
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
A fellow New Havener on the FT GLBT board?
A fellow New Haven-er? Yes
A fellow Dividend Miler? No! I'd rather drive 45 minutes north to BDL than flying on US
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
For San Francisco, take a jacket. It can be miserably cold and damp when the fog moves in.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:35 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sushibear
For San Francisco, take a jacket. It can be miserably cold and damp when the fog moves in.
I know, I know. Not going much farther than LA.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I know, I know. Not going much farther than LA.
Not responding so much to your OP as some of the other posts. The last time I was there, I met up with some friends from Nashville. All they had with them were shorts and tee shirts.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
p.s. - Ken: not sure when you're coming to LA, but we're having a mini Gayla dinner on Dec 4th... of course everyone is invited!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.