Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome Neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Rome Neighborhood

I am hoping to do a week trip to Rome the first or second week of November. I was planing on renting an apartment off of Cragslist. Can anyone suggest a good neighborhood to be in (or some site or other place to be around)?

It is my first time in Rome. Also, any suggestions for restaurants or other places/things to see/do would be great.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:15 pm

Rome... it's an amazing city and lots to see, great place if you like art and history. As far as neighborhoods, I'd recommend Spanish Steps.

IF you are looking for a gay scene, that's another story. My advice, do a lot of research online, it's very difficult to find gay places in the city - after all, the Vatican is right next door We only found one place out of 4 or 5 that we had spotted on gaymaps.com. It was a smallish bar by the Colosseum, maybe half a block or less, I believe on the East side, going uphill to the right. Lots of Italian eye candy, and most of them hanging out on the street. Other than that, we didn't get lucky enough to find the other places. On top of that, the cabs were on strike so we had to walk all over Rome - day and night! We ended up getting to the hotel around 4am with a couple of beers and after wandering Rome for hours trying to find more places... lesson learn!

So make sure you take maps with you and know where to go. You won't see all the rainbow flags hanging alas AMS.

It's an amazing city though. Enjoy!
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I'm heading over in the middle of November, and friends here recommended a place called The Hangar. They said it is difficult to find, but well worth the hunt. I'm still trying to track down the address to narrow the search.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
The Hanger is actually not that difficult to find. It is a busy bar, but frequented by Americans more than Italians. 30 minutes on google should be enough to find the bars the locals frequent. Look for Sphinx and Skyline, both near the train station, Frequency, Diablo Dentro... Don't forget to spend a few afternoons in the saunas. Much better than the saunas state-side.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. What neighborhood

is best to rent a small apartment in?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus
There also is a bar called "Coming Out" which is a block away from the Coliseum...
Old Oct 30, 2008, 2:52 am

Isn't there a gay bar named GARBO?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
What neighborhood is best to rent a small apartment in?
Map out some of the locations mentioned here, and stay in one of those areas, if your intent is to be close by.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Don't expect a miracle for night life in this vatican city, yes Hangar was the only bar I was hanging out at every night, not much else. There is a bar new the train station but I was warned to be careful of rought trade in that area. But I liked sight seeing in Roma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.