Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Palm Springs Gayla 2009, March 27-29

Palm Springs Gayla 2009, March 27-29

Old Dec 15, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As to me, either weekend will work. I'd like to lock a plan in soon.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:33 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by KenCT
In my case, I've booked one of those almost-impossible-to-get free flights from HVN to PSP from March 26 - 30. If the dates of the Gayla are switched, i will not be able to attend.
Since at least one person already has air tickets, I'm leaning towards not changing the date. Now the question kind of becomes, how do people feel about having or not having a "host" property? I'll work on this event when I return (probably be right after New Year's though).
Old Dec 16, 2008, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Host Property

You know I always calls 'em as I sees 'em, so here's my take. The first few years, having a host property was great, but last year - actually earlier this year to be perfectly accurate - there seemed to be a breakdown. Some rented private housing, others selected separate properties for their own reasons, and the group felt more segmented that it ever had before.

Whether or not there's a host property, I plan to stay elsewhere. Right now, I'm thinking of Canyon Club for a couple of nights. It's currently offering rates as low as $69. I know it has a somewhat unsavory reputation, but I thought I'd stay there for Thursday and Friday nights, then move to Zoso for Saturday and Sunday. Since both are within walking distance of the Arenas Street areas, it's very possible I can get away without renting a car unless the venues are widely separated.

Even if Zoso has no official function at our Gayla, perhaps we could all just happen to drop in at the same time on Friday night. The bar area is elegant and attractive, much like our group.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors-Diamond, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
What is Gayla?

I'll probably lose my Gay Card for asking this, but what is Gayla? I've read, searched and to no avail. I've gathered it's a weekend with other FTer's (mainly Friends of Dorothy), but haven't been able to figure out much more from this thread.

Details anyone??
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
It's just the GLBT forum's own term for a Flyertalk "Do" or get-together. I think the term was coined by Comicwoman in around 2003. More information in this thread.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by tucsnaz
I'll probably lose my Gay Card for asking this, but what is Gayla? ...(mainly Friends of Dorothy)?
Who's Dorothy
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:16 pm

Ok - I'm back and about to start doing the work for this Gayla shortly. Unless there are "many" requests, I will NOT be working on a "host" property but will post where people are staying if that information is provided. Also, in the first post will include people attending this Do so that I can track the number for Sat dinner properly. I will repeat this information in the first post.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Who's Dorothy
Aren't they all friends of Bill as well?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 2:39 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
That occurs AFTER the gaylas...

Originally Posted by holtju2
Old Jan 2, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by holtju2
A phrase I never thought would tumble from your lips

If there are "friends of Bill"at these get togethers they are mere aquaintances rather than good friends
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:23 pm

Ok - I'm working on this event - hopefully I'll have something to announce right after the SFO Gayla (don't want to take attention away from that). However, this weekend WILL happen (even if its just dinner on Sat - hopefully more), we have our plane tickets already too.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Alas, I know I have to pass on PSP this year. I just found out a dear friend is doing the lead in Swan Lake at the Royal Ballet that weekend, so if I'm going to be anywhere on that date, it will be London.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I will also have to pass this year on PSP. Crazy work schedule and one too many trips already booked. Have fun. I want to see pictures.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:27 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
I'm considering coming, but the fares are a bit much right now... I wouldn't normally consider US Airways, but I think I have a companion ticket coupon at home... If anyone might want to align schedules from NYC for that weekend, get in touch.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Friend is trying to get me to go to the Winder Music Conference in Miami that is held the same weekend. I don't know for sure before middle March what my schedule will be that weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.