Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

A Charitable Appeal-Discussion of recent GLBT-relevant TalkBoard action

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2008, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Some of you may be aware that yesterday Talkboard passed 8-1 a motion 'that Mission to the World be added to the list of approved FTC charities, suitable for promotion on FT.'.

This thread gives more information about Talkboard's decision.

Ultimately the charitable appeal that was to be made isn't going to happen. As such, not wanting Talkboard's efforts to go to waste and noting how 'suitable for promotion on FT' this organisation is, I thought I'd launch an appeal myself.

Mission To The world is the missionary agency of the Presbyterian Church In America. From perusing MTW's web-site it would appear they send people around the world to work in developing countries, ostensibly as teachers, dentists, etc - but with the real objective being proselytizing and spreading the PCA's message.

I'm launching this appeal in the GLBT forum because the PCA, through another of it's ministries, provides real practical help to the GLBT community which they have some quite specific views on - over the years they have made a whole range of statements with regards to homosexuality.

The practical help they provide very much fits in with their follow-up statement to 'All homosexual activity is sinful' - namely that 'Congregations should actively help homosexuals to seek a cure'. Through Harvest USA (set up by the PCA member Tenth Presbyterian Church and working with many PCA member churches) those 'struggling with sexual sin' can access a support and accountability group.

By supporting MTW you will be supporting the spreading of the views that have led to the creation of such a practical and helpful organisation for the GLBT community as Harvest USA is.

Now personally I would have thought that identifying any organisation affiliated with PCA as 'suitable for promotion on FT' as being pretty much a non-starter - but Talkboard thought otherwise.

Of those who voted for the motion, explanations for the votes have included comments that 'the charity in question does good work overall' and how a 'yes' vote 'means that this is a legitimate charity'. The only dissenter was bhatnasx, and interestingly gleff has just posted how he wishes he could take his vote back and apologizes for voting as he did.

For those who wish to express their views to Talkboard, they are still welcoming comments. The general impression I got from the thread in the Talkboard forum was that those who don't want to support an approved charity can choose not to do so - and if they so wish they can explain their objection to any charity in the relevant appeal thread (i.e. this). Numerous people suggested that people may find appeals for this organisation as rather offensive - but the vote was clear, hence this appeal thread.

Last edited by phillipas; Aug 9, 2008 at 6:11 am
Old Aug 9, 2008, 7:46 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We're going to close this thread (at least for now - pending our consultations with each other - so this "may" be opened later). But the appropriate thread for discussion on this is the public Talkboard forum thread that is linked above.

Thank you for understanding.

peteropny - moderator - GLBT
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
We have discussed this and to avoid thread duplication, we are going to leave this thread closed, but FlyBalletGuy, peteropny, and myself all encourage everyone to visit the thread in the TalkBoard forum to learn more about this issue and to make your viewpoints heard there by the TalkBoard and other FlyerTalkers.

Thanks for your consideration.

--GLBT Travelers Moderation Team

Links:

TB Vote:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853589

TB Discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850346

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.