Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capetown / Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:39 am
Suspended

How about staying in De Waterkant? Seems like a central location.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:58 am

I was there recently as well and stayed in the DeWaterkant and really like that part of town. It's essentially, the "gayborhood." Not alot of hotels in that immediate area. I had a trip report about it here.

It's easily walkable to all the touristy things as well as bars.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ings-food.html
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goteed1
I was there recently as well and stayed in the DeWaterkant and really like that part of town. It's essentially, the "gayborhood." Not alot of hotels in that immediate area. I had a trip report about it here.

It's easily walkable to all the touristy things as well as bars.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ings-food.html
Yes, I read your report
As a SF native, what is your opinion on "V&A Waterfront" vs. "Fishermans' Warf"?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pianoamit
I don't understand the aversion to San Francisco - it's actually one of my favourite places in the US.

I can see why people would say Cape Town is similar to San Francisco. They're both cities that lie on the ocean and are surrounded by mountainous scenery. They both have great dining opportunities and a great buzz...

That's not to say that if you dislike San Francisco you'll automatically dislike Cape Town, obviously... I wouldn't spend too much time at the V&A Waterfront - I find it quite fake. There are plenty of other nice places to spend time, especially around De Waterkant.
Both have their major thoroughfare on a SW-NE axis: Market Street in SF, Buitengracht in Cape Town.
Both have a train station in the SE sector of town: Caltrain in SF, Kaapstad station in Cape Town.
Both have a warf in the NNE section of town: Fishermans' Warf in SF, V&A Waterfront in Cape Town.
Both have a park in the Western section of town: Golden Gate Park in SF, Signal Hill in Cape Town.

Just overlay the city maps, you'll see what I mean
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:26 am

As a native, I'm glad the Wharf is in SF, because it keeps all of the tourists out of our hair!

I've played tour guide plenty of times for friends and family in the city and have been able to enjoy the Wharf for what it is, but it's not someplace I'd go back to on my own.

The V&A waterfront seems to be a major focal point for Capetown, tourist and non-tourist alike. I think it's alot more interesting than the Wharf as well. But that may be because I don't live there.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I don't get some of this posters.

What's wrong with SF?

(please avoid citing traffic, crowdedness, tourists or weather issues, expensive real estate, etc, which are typical of every single densely populated metro in the world).

Last edited by carlosdca; Feb 4, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How about staying in De Waterkant? Seems like a central location.
There is a holiday let firm in the area where you can rent an apartment (with or without private pool) for very short stays in the area. Some come with private parking as well. Google African Elite Properties. I have used them before. First found them through a travel agent and then booked subsequent stays directly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.