Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capetown / Johannesburg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anabolism
We've stayed at the Weston Arabella Quays and the Hilton. Both are walking distance of some things, and both have free shuttles to the V&W Waterfront, which has a large number of restaurants and shops. Of the two, I like the Hilton's location better.
Am I right in my hunch that the V&W Waterfront is very similar to Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Am I right in my hunch that the V&W Waterfront is very similar to Fisherman's Warf in San Francisco?
It's not that bad. From what I could tell locals actually go there.

A few hotels, lots of restaurants, a full shopping mall, the Robben Island Ferry gateway, the Watershed local market, things like that.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:04 pm
Suspended

I am just worried that Cape Town is some sort of San Francisco clone. If it is anything like that, I am not sure I should go.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:26 pm

I am just worried that Cape Town is some sort of San Francisco clone. If it is anything like that, I am not sure I should go.
I have absolutely no idea why you would think that.

Put it this way. I hate San Francisco, I can't be there more than 1-2 nights (I grew up 2 hours south in Monterey) but I spent 2 weeks in CPT loved it and would gladly go back for another 2.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Have no fear, it's not like that at all. Well, there are a number of restaurants at the Waterfront that are over-priced, but the food is usually quite good, and the place is popular with locals. In fact, people there tend to assume that we are locals when we are there. Since we clearly don't sound local, they must think so because such a high percent of people there are local.

Have no fear of that. The fact that every house and office has layers of physical security, including electric and diamond wire fencing, should dissuade you of any similarity :-).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:52 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
I don't understand the aversion to San Francisco - it's actually one of my favourite places in the US.

I can see why people would say Cape Town is similar to San Francisco. They're both cities that lie on the ocean and are surrounded by mountainous scenery. They both have great dining opportunities and a great buzz...

That's not to say that if you dislike San Francisco you'll automatically dislike Cape Town, obviously... I wouldn't spend too much time at the V&A Waterfront - I find it quite fake. There are plenty of other nice places to spend time, especially around De Waterkant.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:08 am

Having called SF home for many recent years, and Cape Town as my go-to city, living two hours away by flight, I see many similarities between the two cities. But not everything.

There is much more of an openness to Cape Town (not as dense as SF, certainly nor as dense as it's planned to be...) with an abundance of outdoor activities. SF has that - if you leave the city. The Waterfront is impressive and rather mixed in its offerings. Agree with others - locals and tourists alike go there. There is the gay area, but I would be hesitant to call it a scene (for better or worse) than say SF. Cape Town is still part of South Africa and very much has its share of theft, robberies and such, yes the load shedding "blackouts" - but no where to the magnitude the media portrays it to be. And though gay life is abundant in CT, probably moreso than anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa, you would be wise to limit affections and such in many places, UNlike San Francisco.

It would be a shame to not visit Cape Town on your visit to southern Africa
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:38 am

Here's my recent TR from South Africa
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anabolism
We've stayed at the Weston Arabella Quays and the Hilton. Both are walking distance of some things, and both have free shuttles to the V&W Waterfront, which has a large number of restaurants and shops. Of the two, I like the Hilton's location better.
Looks like the Hilton is in the area near Long Street, with the wrought-iron balconies?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:26 am

I personally wouldn't want to stay in/on/around Long Street and would go for something on the Atlantic Seaboard.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I personally wouldn't want to stay in/on/around Long Street and would go for something on the Atlantic Seaboard.
Why?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:10 am

Loud, noisy, people all over the place (buskers/hawkers) I went around there twice to have 2 meetings but was happy to be back on the Atlantic side. A bit more calm, relaxed, scenic. Imagine staying on Long Street like staying in the middle of Union Sq SF.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Loud, noisy, people all over the place (buskers/hawkers) I went around there twice to have 2 meetings but was happy to be back on the Atlantic side. A bit more calm, relaxed, scenic. Imagine staying on Long Street like staying in the middle of Union Sq SF.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess... I stayed at the Winchester Mansions in Sea Point before, and at the Radisson Blu Waterfront too... But I thought the Atlantic seaboard was far too quiet. I prefer to be in the middle of things and one of the things I LOVE about ZA is the constant hustle and bustle and the beggars and hawkers. But that's just me...
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:01 pm

So that's the V&A and Sea Point, not Long Street.

I don't think I would actually want to stay on Long Street (or adjacent) for the things mentioned above.
I stayed at the Table Bay in V&A and figure that is a good mix of things between the CBD and seaboard. Was plenty to do and people around but you don't have people following you for 100m saying "hey boss" trying to get your attention.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:08 pm

What I meant is that I found V&A and Sea Point to be too quiet for my liking. Next month I'm staying at the Park Inn (it was a really good deal) on Adderley Street. The square formed by Adderley, Wale, Strand streets and Buitengracht is my absolute favourite part of the city, followed closely by Bokaap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.