Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
My partner and I are planning to visit Costa Rica for a week this December.

We will be flying into San Jose and out of Liberia. At this point we plan on staying one night in San Jose, 3 nights in the Arenal area and 3 nights at the new RIU in Guancaste. We were originally going to visit Manuel Antonio but have heard so many mixed reviews on the current state of the gay nightlife.

Any suggestions from someone how was visited before?
Any help is greatly appeciated.
I stayed at Manuel Antonio the first week of Sep, which is the rainy season. There is one "exclusive" gay bar called "Tutu", which was a little slow, but not dead. I was told that during the season it gets very busy. We stayed at Villa Roca, and there was plenty of gay "life" there. Also, many of the locals from San Jose go there for weekends. BTW - 1 night in SJ is enough.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by malsf1
I stayed at Manuel Antonio the first week of Sep.
How was the gay beach? Is it true that it is no more? Did that hotel just behind the beach actually open?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:14 pm

The gay beach is still there. We only went down one day, since we liked the hotel pool and the availability of cocktails and bathrooms. The hotel is there, but you cannot access the beach through it.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
- Is there a gay presence in other areas of the country (Arenal, Monteverde, Guancaste etc.)? We understand there may not be nightlife but travelers, etc.

- We actually planned our trip to head to the northern beaches instead of the Jaco/Quespo/Manuel Antonio (Hence flying out of Liberia) Any suggestions on possible itineraries?

- We are also leaning towards skipping San Jose altogether and heading directly to Arenal from SJO upon landing due to some good suggestions.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:04 pm

I'm sure you will find gay travelers everywhere in CR, but the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area is where most of the San Jose locals go for weekends. Skipping SJO in my opinion is a great idea. After spending 15 minutes downtown, I was ready to leave... it is definitely not worthwhile. For travel within CR, check out Nature Air.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:36 am

I stayed in the Tortuga Lodge in Tortuguero - beautiful "tree-house" style lodge; highly recommended. Like most "hotels" in tortuguero, there is no AC.

For a very luxurious option, stay at the Andaz Papagayo Peninsula - it's brand new, near great sites (check out the fumarale hikes nearby), has great food, and features suites with private pools. Nightlife in nearby area is great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.