Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

G-A-Y Closing This Saturday...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver

As a 20 year old gay man (ok twink) I've never been and always wanted to go. It was supposed to be one of the great gay clubs in the world.

Article Here

Originally Posted by The Times
Everyone is so post-gay now, it's probably not the done thing to shed a tear over the last night of G-A-Y at the Astoria in Central London this Saturday. With its simple delight in fluffy disco and boozy, cruisey merriment, G-A-Y seems a dinosaur in the modern landscape of gay indie clubs, mixed clubs and the pansexual, drag-tastic dives of Shoreditch, where the beestung-lipped boy in eyeshadow probably has a girlfriend who's cool with it all.

But sad I am for the passing of G-A-Y. Jeremy Joseph, the club's pixie-like promoter, says it will reopen somewhere else, but it won't be the same - for good and ill, for its fans and detractors, G-A-Y at the Astoria is a gay cultural landmark, and even though it smells of chips and the Astoria has seen better days, the club has a resounding pre-eminence. While Joseph's G-A-Y has been going since 1993, the night began life as Bang! way back in 1976. It's a gay grand-daddy in a tight T-shirt.

As the club's capital-lettered, branded moniker implies, G-A-Y is gay and then some. It doesn't try to be clever or jaded. Instead it serves up, weekly, a cacophonous, fizzing party, the centrepiece of which is a performance by a pop star. Madonna, Kylie, Mariah Carey, Cyndi Lauper, Pink, Enrique Iglesias (and a lot worse - step forward Caprice) have appeared at G-A-Y: Iglesias generously offering up his ... to be fondled. Joseph doesn't think that the G-A-Y brand is outdated: “We've survived longer than any other gay club. Does that sound unsuccessful to you?”

Joseph says that he has decided to ship out because he is fed up with having “the axe of Crossrail hanging over my head”. He still doesn't know if or when the Astoria will be knocked down to make way for London's high-speed rail link, but this week Crossrail received Royal Assent, which Joseph took to be “a message - the time is right to go”.

Joseph says that it is getting harder and harder to show stars around the building when it's in such a bad state. But he'll be emotional on Saturday night, he admits - his energy and ability to get stars to perform at G-A-Y have given the club an enviable profile.
I guess this would be a good place to post memories and whatnot of the most legendary clubs in London.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
....what....

This club has provided countless hours of fun for my friends and I. It provided such a great experience in my younger days. Now, I'm more likely to be found round the back at Ghetto.

It stings to hear G-A-Y is closing.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by ndhapple
As a 20 year old gay man (ok twink) I've never been and always wanted to go. It was supposed to be one of the great gay clubs in the world.
I guess this would be a good place to post memories and whatnot of the most legendary clubs in London.
legend, it was superb......41 year old straight female
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, KLM Flying Blue
Oh it truely was the best club. I was a regular in my late teens to mid twenties. Sad that I wont be there on Saturday for the grande finale, but it wont really be the finale for G-A-Y. Just G-A-Y at the Astoria. They will be moving to a new venue. It will be interesting to think of where in central London would be big enough? Hippodrome? Heaven?

The Astoria is going to get knocked down in a couple of years to build a station for the much needed CROSSRAIL.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
ugggh I never got to go!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:00 pm

Are you all mad???? In my early 20's it was ok but then I grew up and realised just how rubbish it was (i'm now 35). Havent been there for about 10 years. Good riddance I say!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It seems as though the age of the mega clubs are coming to an end. Tougher city ordinances (like here in NYC), the need for real estate in large cities making these spaces for valuable for other needs, the ever rising cost of operating a huge club, and an interest more towards "lounges" (has again become big in NYC) are sending this genre to the hereafter such as was done to the baths.

But time marches on.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:28 am

Baths Over in NYC

newyorkgeorge is certainly right on that point. There are about two left but it's a dismal scene.

Funny enough the Club Baths in Fort Lauderdale is very popular and from what I understand every segment of the gay crowd goes there. Critics of the bathhouses in New York make all sorts of dire predictions but I didn't notice any of Club Baths' patrons turning into a pillar of salt. Club Baths may be one of the best gay bathhouses in the country with a swimming pool, spa and gym. It's a pity that NYC doesn't have anything like it.

The underground sex club scene is thriving in NYC but in my opinion a bathhouse like Club Baths would be much safer.

At any rate, I can't wait to go to Fort Lauderdale again!
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by ndhapple

Article Here

On a regular night, it was a boozy, cruisy, poppy mish-mash of reveling homos. On a night when there was a great act performing, it was about the same, but with a very cool concert going on. I saw Sophie Ellis-Bextor, the Sugababes and that 80's one-hit wonder - Gina G (she has put on WEIGHT) there, and each time was a memorable experience.

Not only was it a fun place to go - I've actually made many friends there who remain so to this day. I'll go out on a limb and say that most people who spent any time there would say it's generally not a place you'd go to be introduced to "quality" people.

I'll definitely miss it. Most of the other bars & clubs in London are about the size of the ones we have here in Austin (and those aren't big)...
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz #1 President's Circle, SPG Platinum
I only went once, just a few months ago and had a great time. Sad to see it close
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I was lucky enough to go twice this past April and a couple of weeks ago. I'll miss it for it sheer campiness and fun.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:06 am

G-A-Y isn't actually closing, it was just the last night at the Astoria. It's very strongly rumoured that it'll actually be moving to where Heaven is now, underneath the arches at Charing Cross.

A couple of friends went last night and said it was good fun. So, OP, fear not, you'll be able to have your camp fix soon!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:59 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by koksy
Are you all mad???? In my early 20's it was ok but then I grew up and realised just how rubbish it was (i'm now 35). Havent been there for about 10 years. Good riddance I say!
Totally agree. Complete crap. Im 29 and wouldn't think of going back. Many other better places to go.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 2:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, BA Silver, Accor Gold, A3
Darn... I'd wanted to go

Originally Posted by asnovici
Totally agree. Complete crap. Im 29 and wouldn't think of going back. Many other better places to go.
Like Soho or Queen in Seoul? :P

Camp or not, I regret not going when last time when I was in London. Guess it will have to be at the new venue.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:07 am

Ah the Memories~

I have been to G-A-Y several times when I was in London. I was there on night when "S-CLUB-7" was performing. I have had some "VERY" interesting encounters "within" G-A-Y that I will never tell, and also have met two wonderful guys (one U.K. one U.S. on 2 separate occasions) whom I had a BLAST with. It will rank up there with one of the MOST fabulous clubs I have been in the world.

Oh, did I mention the Loos outside in public where 4 guys stand facing each other from N-S-E-W and pee into a portable urinal for 4? ONLY in London! Those Marys who had to wait in line to get in know, EXACTLY what I am talking about... ROFL MAO! XoXo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.