Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Legal Travel Advice - SF Wedding

Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:18 am
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I don't know where to get this answered.

I live in New Jersey. It looks very good that we will have a New Jersey same sex marriage passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor in a relatively short period of time.

I am thinking of going to San Francisco to get married to my other half of twenty years. Does that mean that I will have to get remarried in New Jersey once it passes, or will it be recognized in New Jersey.

What if the California referendum throws it out, will it still be legal in New Jersey?

Where do I go for answers?

Also, any late news on how the referencum in California is looking?

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Congratulations on your pending nuptuals.
Most of your questions can be answered by reviewing materials here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-se..._in_California

and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recogni..._in_New_Jersey

The key phrase from the latter link is "New Jersey has legislated for both domestic partnerships and civil unions, and recognizes out-of-state same-sex marriages as equivalent to civil unions conducted in the state."
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA UA HH National Hertz
Good answer, dieselbear, and congrats to saint82 and yr hubby2B. My partner and I are going in Sept to SFO to get married. A couple other points on fighting to maintain our rights is to support the fight against the California ballot issue thru Equality California http://www.eqca.org , but

for our trip I am trying to make contact with someone working at the Hilton Financial Center. I'm a HH Gold and wante to make our stay memorable in more ways. We stayed in this hotel in 1984 on our first trip to SFO and hope to enjoy the Hilton's newly upgraded hospitality.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

More information needed

I just got married in California, but it will take a few weeks before I get the official paperwork. I am afraid that the proposition against gay marriage may happen before I get the paperwork. Do I need to do something in New Jersey to get my marriage recognized as at least a civil union before the papers come through, or doesn't the timing mean anything?

I called Garden State Equality, and essentially received no help whatsoever.

If someone wanted to private message me with the names of any legal firms that would be particularly qualified to help, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saint82
I just got married in California, but it will take a few weeks before I get the official paperwork. I am afraid that the proposition against gay marriage may happen before I get the paperwork. Do I need to do something in New Jersey to get my marriage recognized as at least a civil union before the papers come through, or doesn't the timing mean anything?
Congratulations!

My spouse and I (I still can't suppress a huge smile when I type that phrase) walked the certificate in to the County Clerk-Recorder's office to get it recorded and got a dozen certified copies (which we guessed would be a lifetime supply) on the spot. That way we at least have proof that we have been married in case the forces of evil win but marriages are not annulled. I am not a lawyer, but it seemed to be a good idea to get a bunch of copies before the election just in case they become difficult to get but remain recognized elsewhere.

Many people, including the Attorney General of California, believe that even if this abhorrent proposition passes it will not annul existing marriages.

Of course, nothing on the current form reflects gender, so how would they know not to issue copies later? You can infer it from some given names, but there are always exceptions like Michael Learned and Sir Evelyn de Rothschild.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.