Gay DC ?

Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, OnePass Elite, HH GOLD, MR, SPG Corp Plat
Gay DC ?

Looking for suggestions on good GLBT places (bars, restos, areas, activities ...) in DC.

I have a work assignment for the next few months so looking for some cool places to get comfortable.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hi there - As a soon-to-be-former DC resident, welcome to the city. Like any metropolitan area, to make recommendations, it helps to know what you're looking for instead of doling out generic advice. You might consider checking out metroweekly.com which has a good review of bars, and regular articles about the DC scene. Some other tips, there's a gay professionals group on Meetup.com which used to be active (I haven't gone in awhile), and a group called anywhere goes - anywheregoes.com - that does outdoorsy/sporty get togethers.

Good luck in DC! Let us know if you need more targeted suggestions.

-John
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply and good tips to start. Since I will be there 3-4 days per week, I was just looking for some good places to eat, coffee, meet people, etc...

Is there a more gay-friendly area of town? Any Gym and Tennis Club suggestions?

Also, the office was thinking of putting me up at the National Harbour on Waterfront, any comments? Or should I stick to the Westin Grand.

Proximity to the gay area is high on my list... just want it to be convenient.

Txs,

-PK
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Dupont Circle is it.

Although IMHO, DC gay area kinda blows....or does DC just blow in general?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There's not much there, to my recollection. When people want to do something gay, they leave town to avoid being captured doing something scandalous locally in front of hidden cameras, etc. Whether that notion is paranoid or reasonable, well I think it's reasonable.

But yeah, DuPont Circle is IT. If it's not in that vicinity, don't go there. 3/4 of DC is very scary.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Doesnt sound encouraging... Between Big Brother watching your every move and the rest blows... Thank God I am only on assignment.. sounds like I need to get in there, get the job done and get out.

I guess this will make me appreciate YUL so much more. As they say "there is no place like home" (mind you my home is over the large pond but like YUL anyhow).

Thanks for the posts!

-PK
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anonplz
There's not much there, to my recollection. When people want to do something gay, they leave town to avoid being captured doing something scandalous locally in front of hidden cameras, etc. Whether that notion is paranoid or reasonable, well I think it's reasonable.

But yeah, DuPont Circle is IT. If it's not in that vicinity, don't go there. 3/4 of DC is very scary.
Just a tad exaggerated, don't you think?

DuPont Circle may be "it" in terms of gay neighborhoods, but I've found it quite nice when I visited; good bars, restaurants, etc. And it's not as though the rest of the city is blatantly homophobic; you're going to see gay folks in various parts of town, even if the gay "hotspot" is only in Dupont. Ask a resident when you get there for more ideas on what's fun to do in town.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
The Westin Grande will be closer to the gayborhood, but The Westin Embassy Row would put you right in it...if it is still a Westin.

Depending on what you like, there are plenty of watering holes near there, like JRs, Cobalt, and the ever seemly Omega. I like Halo on er, 14th? across from the Whole Foods. Last time I was there it was 2fer1 cocktails from 5-9 or so.

Restaurant wise, I guess that depends on your palate. I don't go there as often as I used to, but one place on the Circle I like is Raku, which is a pan-Asian place around the corner from Kramer Books on CT (where Monica shopped for novels!).
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Ooof, things are sounding better... I was geting a bit nervous. The comments are getting better.

The Westin Embassy Row is undergoing renovations until August. It looks like a real nice place. I will consider it for sure (and add to my collection of SPG points )
Old Jul 2, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Definitely stick with the Westin Grand over National Harbor. Although DC gays have moved well beyond the confines of the Dupont Circle ghetto, most of what's left of specifically gay nightlife is still around Dupont, especially now that the new baseball stadium has replaced the Southeast DC venues. But in most of DC and nearby environs, being gay is a non-issue and in places like Del Ray, Takoma Park, Clarendon, etc., you're pretty much tripping over gays as we're all over the place.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
The Westin Grande will be closer to the gayborhood, but The Westin Embassy Row would put you right in it...if it is still a Westin.

Depending on what you like, there are plenty of watering holes near there, like JRs, Cobalt, and the ever seemly Omega. I like Halo on er, 14th? across from the Whole Foods. Last time I was there it was 2fer1 cocktails from 5-9 or so.

Restaurant wise, I guess that depends on your palate. I don't go there as often as I used to, but one place on the Circle I like is Raku, which is a pan-Asian place around the corner from Kramer Books on CT (where Monica shopped for novels!).
Halo is on P Street, according to their website: halodc.com

And it is def worth a stop.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:56 pm

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Halo is on P st between 14th and 15th and it's across from Whole Foods. It's one of the nicer spots for Drinks in DC.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Wow most of the commenters sure are making DC sound like a horrible place, when it's not. The gay scene is actually quite active and there are lots of bars and clubs. It really all depends on what types of bars and clubs you like. I'll try and mention a few, but there are more.

The historical gay area is indeed Dupont Circle, but it's certainly spread out over the past few years to 14th Street and U Street, etc.

The main gay drag would probably be considered 17th Street between P and R Streets. There you have a variety of bars and restaurants that are pretty laid back and have great patios for people watching. JR's, Cobalt, DIK Bar, and Fox and Hounds are some of the bars there and a few restaurants there are Annie's, Dupont Italian Kitchen, Jack's, 17th St Cafe, etc.

P Street west of Dupont Circle isn't as popular as it used to be. There is still Apex which is a dance club and Omega which is another bar.

Halo on P Street between 14th and 15th is a popular lounge with usually good drink specials. It's pretty trendy compared to say, JRs, which is more of a casual, neighborhood type place. Green Lantern at 14th and M (Thomas Circle) is a blue jeans-ish/leather-ish type of bar with cheap drinks and a very popular Thursday night shirtless men drink free from 10-11 event.

Duplex Diner is a very popular bar/restaurant on 18th St at the foot of Adams Morgan.

Nellie's is a new (within a year) gay sports bar that has a fantastic roof deck. It's at the corner of 9th and U Streets. Town is the new fancy dance club that is at 8th and U Streets. Down 9th between N and O Streets is Be Bar which is another trendy lounge type place.

You've got Remingtons over on Capitol Hill which is a country-western bar that has dancing on the first floor and a fun karaoke party upstairs.

The Eagle is the leather bar and is located on New York Avenue by the convention center.

Like someone else suggested, check out Metro Weekly which is the weekly magazine that lists all the bars and clubs and also what drink specials there are each night.

Please send me a message if you want any more info.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA BA, Starwwood, Hilton
Originally Posted by inlogan
Wow most of the commenters sure are making DC sound like a horrible place, when it's not. The gay scene is actually quite active and there are lots of bars and clubs. It really all depends on what types of bars and clubs you like. I'll try and mention a few, but there are more.

The historical gay area is indeed Dupont Circle, but it's certainly spread out over the past few years to 14th Street and U Street, etc.

The main gay drag would probably be considered 17th Street between P and R Streets. There you have a variety of bars and restaurants that are pretty laid back and have great patios for people watching. JR's, Cobalt, DIK Bar, and Fox and Hounds are some of the bars there and a few restaurants there are Annie's, Dupont Italian Kitchen, Jack's, 17th St Cafe, etc.

P Street west of Dupont Circle isn't as popular as it used to be. There is still Apex which is a dance club and Omega which is another bar.

Halo on P Street between 14th and 15th is a popular lounge with usually good drink specials. It's pretty trendy compared to say, JRs, which is more of a casual, neighborhood type place. Green Lantern at 14th and M (Thomas Circle) is a blue jeans-ish/leather-ish type of bar with cheap drinks and a very popular Thursday night shirtless men drink free from 10-11 event.

Duplex Diner is a very popular bar/restaurant on 18th St at the foot of Adams Morgan.

Nellie's is a new (within a year) gay sports bar that has a fantastic roof deck. It's at the corner of 9th and U Streets. Town is the new fancy dance club that is at 8th and U Streets. Down 9th between N and O Streets is Be Bar which is another trendy lounge type place.

You've got Remingtons over on Capitol Hill which is a country-western bar that has dancing on the first floor and a fun karaoke party upstairs.

The Eagle is the leather bar and is located on New York Avenue by the convention center.

Like someone else suggested, check out Metro Weekly which is the weekly magazine that lists all the bars and clubs and also what drink specials there are each night.

Kimpton also as a couple of more funky botique hotels in the 'hood.

Hotel Palomar (Traditional DuPont- near Apex-Omega)
Topaz Hotel (Just south of 17th street strip- in the commercial area)
Embassy Row (Traditional DuPont- near Apex-Omega)
Hotel Rouge ( between dupont and the Halo)
Hotel Helix (at Halo's)
Monaco (Near DC Eagle)
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
All you have to do is look for young conservatives in nice suits with nicely tied ties. They'll point the way....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.