Wiki Posts
Search

West Hollywood

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by pitbrian
... I feel like Westwood is a really dead area (UCLA, right?). They both have rooftop pools, which is key (this vacation is all about relaxing during the day and fun at night).
Quite honestly, Westwood is a much more desirable area (not to mention safer) than West Hollywood. UCLA village is quite nice to spend an otherwise boring afternoon in. If you want to relax during the day, just stay at the hotel and go to the spa. It will be pretty quiet. I'd still recommend getting a rental car and drive to Malibu. Go to some hidden local beaches, drive around in a Jeep Wrangler or a convertible, and have a Mai Tai at Duke's in the afternoon before headin' back to WeHo in the evening.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Westwood is really boring--especially for gay people so there really is no choice in my opinion! You want to be in West Hollywood so you can walk to the bars. You're not coming out to LA to sit in a hotel room, I hope...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:09 pm

IF you prefer to stay at Westwood, and wants to have few drinks, you probably better off take Number 4 bus which runs every 30 minutes after 10pm or so.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
LA? Not so much, but there are always cabs waiting outside of Barney's Beanary (my favorite place to hang in weho--no actor wannabe's/attitude queens/minimum wage idiots like Abbey
OMG, I used to hang out at Barney's Beanery 25 years ago when I was in college in LA and was still straight. It's a happenin' place these days??
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:03 pm

LA? Not so much, but there are always cabs waiting outside of Barney's Beanary (my favorite place to hang in weho--no actor wannabe's/attitude queens/minimum wage idiots like Abbey...very laid back with great beers) near La Cienega/SM. Also, another great place to grab a nice hefeweizen and a quick bite is the Village Idiots on Melrose....
Didn't that place have some trouble over having a sign in the window that said "No F*gs Allowed..." ?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgoodm
Didn't that place have some trouble over having a sign in the window that said "No F*gs Allowed..." ?
Which one? Barney's? or Village Idiot? There are tons of gays at both places I'm guessing Barney's. There are a lot of gay guys there definitely albeit more straight acting and laid back ones. I usually manage to strike up a conversation with one or two.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The rooftop pool at the London is amazing.Used to go to a lot of parties there.
Go for the London.
Gosh I wish Starwood would open a property near the design center(WeHo)
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by jgoodm
That is correct-but that was 20+ years ago.

I think they would be burned to the ground if they tried that now.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.

Also- anyone ever eat at Ketchup??
Yes. Tasty. I recommend the shake & bake chicken.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
That is correct-but that was 20+ years ago.

I think they would be burned to the ground if they tried that now.
But its the same owner I think...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

If I were gay, I would definitely prefer The London. Avoid the W.It's in Westwood, which is is a dead zone. The Gordon Ramsay Restaurant at The London has garned mixed reviews. Check out www.chowhound2.com
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by WillFlyer
Yes. Tasty. I recommend the shake & bake chicken.
Ketchup is good for lunch. Great burgers, fries and a view of the hollywood hills. That great burger is unavailable at dinner.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

Also- anyone ever eat at Ketchup??
A bit overrated. Consider: Asia De Cuba (beautiful people, good food), Marks (gayberhood restaurant), O-Bar (beautiful setting), Irv's Burger (stand), Koi (sushi & celebs), Boa (modern steak), Hugos (great breakfast), Courtyard (tapas & great patio), Marix (tex-mex, people watching, good drinks), Bossa Nova (pre/post Abbey food, people watching), Flavor of India (gay-friendly Indian!), The Palm (old school), Fat Fish (trendy) and of course the original Pinkberry!

You seem to appreciate cool hotels, so you may want to stop for drinks at: Mondrian, Grafton, Le Montrose, Valadon/Le Petit or Chamberlain. Most of these hotels lean towards the gay side of straight.

If you all had the choice.. $239 at the W (for a 500 sq foot suite (probably more) or $297 for a 750 sq foot suite at the London for $297.. what would you pick?
London! So much closer to WeHo, better views, close to Hollywood, on Sunset Strip, etc. I love W's, but W Westwood isn't very close to WeHo.

Quite honestly, Westwood is a much more desirable area (not to mention safer) than West Hollywood. UCLA village is quite nice to spend an otherwise boring afternoon in.
Westwood/UCLA Vilage is much more desirable if you want an afternoon of Starbucks, Gap, Cheescake Factory, Best Buy, more Starbucks, CVS, Circuit City, DSW Shoes, another Starbucks, GNC, etc. Although the Armand Hammer Museum is cool and has some cool summer concerts/cocktail parties on Thursday evenings.

BONUS TIP: If you rent a car: don't forget to tune your radio to 89.9 KCRW for NPR during the day and cool "hand picked" music at night/weekends. KCRW makes driving in LA's crazy traffic so much better.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
OMG, I used to hang out at Barney's Beanery 25 years ago when I was in college in LA and was still straight. It's a happenin' place these days??
Quite happenin', for me at least. It's my kind of scene and peeps. Much more laid back and fun crowd vs the morons at the Abbey---filled with people who obviously don't fit in but try so desparately to be a clone..sad. "OMG! I went for an audition today...yea...didn't get it, so I'll have to continue working at a Starbucks. OMG! yea...don't talk to me...yea...did you hear about Britney Spears?"

Originally Posted by nroscoe
Westwood/UCLA Vilage is much more desirable if you want an afternoon of Starbucks, Gap, Cheescake Factory, Best Buy, more Starbucks, CVS, Circuit City, DSW Shoes, another Starbucks, GNC, etc.
I'll take that over homeless or tweaked out twinks passing out in the bushes on Santa Monica Blvd (NOT KIDDING. I see people passing out in the bushes everytime I go to weho to see my friends). Besides, I was referring to the actual desirability to live in Westwood vs Weho. Let's look at property values in both areas. 'nuff said.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:00 am

Let's look at property values in both areas. 'nuff said.
Some parts of West Hollywood exceed the value (per square foot) of Beverly Hills and Westwood. In Westwood even more so. Granted West Hollywood has some sketchy parts (like the eastern edge) that Westwood does not have, but still blanket statements are not accurate.

RE: Barneys, I agree bigot or not, the place is fun and the food is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.