Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Gay Movie You've Ever Seen is...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 8:50 pm
Suspended

My favourite is Drôle de Félix, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228242/

Other good gay movies:
Beautiful Thing, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115640/
My Beautiful Laundrette, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091578/
Priest, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110889/
The Fruit Machine, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095183/

...xtube
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:06 pm

"The Sum Of Us" for me, hands down. Biased a bit due to being an Aussie though.

There's still some material in that film that still brings me to tears.

A worthy watch for anyone of any sexuality. Harder to find than your "Brokeback Mountains" and such though.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:42 pm

I am scandalized!!

Originally Posted by Seeksreal
I agree that Brokeback Mountain is quite overrated. Some of the acting was a bit over the top as well. I saw it at one of the very first screenings and Jake Gyllenhaal was there to talk about it afterward. I found it very interesting to hear him pretty much come out during that talk.

In paraphrasing him, he said:

At first I was very intimidated working with Heath (Ledger) since he grew up on a ranch and was so comfortable with riding the horses, etc. Then when it came to shooting the sex scenes, I felt better, because here was my opportunity to bring Heath into something that I knew about.
I always thought Jake Gyllenhaal was straight but now this. I have heard that Reese Witherspoon is popular with gay men but this is ridiculous! This quote reminds me of an awards ceremony in which Jake was in attendance and his friend, Lance Armstrong, got on the podium and said, "It's funny to see Jake in front of the audience because I thought his favorite position was in the rear!"

By the way, I hear where people are coming from with Brokeback, i.e., that it tended to drag, but I think that effect was intended in order to give the film a cycle-of-life effect, which was part of the film's message on how fleeting moments of true happiness are. As far as the acting was concerned I thought it gave a depth to the Western genre that never previously existed. Just some thoughts to ponder ...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Seeksreal
At first I was very intimidated working with Heath (Ledger) since he grew up on a ranch and was so comfortable with riding the horses, etc. Then when it came to shooting the sex scenes, I felt better, because here was my opportunity to bring Heath into something that I knew about.
*gush* *swoon* I think Jake is hunkier than Heath, and whilst either could park their shoes under my bed anytime they like (sadly, not Heath any more) Jake does it for me more than Heath did.

Dave
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
...and why is it that Jake's defacto brother in law, Peter Sarsgaard, seems to do movies like Kinsey, The Dying Gaul, and now The Mysteries of Pittsburgh where he does man on man stuff? Or was that to offset his role as the murderer in Boys Don't Cry?

In any case, I'm looking forward to a movie with a Sarsgaarg/J. Gyllenhaal playing lovers.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I thought Truth or Dare was great. It qualifies as gay right?

Trick
and
Eating Out is like the new Trick.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion

Ok, so it's not gay, but it might as well be. And the themes are all there!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 2MM Mile
Unconditional Love

While I wouldn't say it's my favorite movie (I'll second Moulin Rouge), I have to add it here. Kathy Bates, Rupert Everett, Lynn Redgrave, Dan Aykroyd, Jonathan Pryce and Julie Andrews!

I watched it the first time on a plane (Flyer Talker, yes I am), and I laughed so hard and so loudly that the FA and several other passengers asked me what I was watching!

You've probably never heard of it, but give it look.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:23 pm

The Main Event

"The Main Event" with Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. Not overtly gay but there is one scene where Barbara is sleeping in a type of barracks with the boxers ...

You do the math!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:26 am

My ALL time favorite~

My "ALL" time favorite?

For a Lost Soldier (Voor Een Verloren Soldaat)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_a_Lost_Soldier

and

tied for favorite is~

Broken Hearts Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Hearts_Club

If you are Queer and have NOT seen the above 2 films, your Queer Membership WILL be revoked and you WILL have to return the Toaster Oven...
Old Aug 2, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
After finally renting it and somehow watching it after it was due to be returned (even though Hollywood Video gives you like a month to watch the thing) I can heartily, and unequivocally say that "Another Gay Movie" does not make it on the list of good movies! Certainly not the best. What a fundamental piece of krap!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I agree that For a Lost Soldier is good, but in parts disturbing. Broken Hearts Club on the other hand is a heap of schmarm and predictable clap.

But diversity of opinion is good.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:56 am

I think the Transsexual Musical category is one of the more important (entertaining) movie genres.

So while Hedwig is already listed above, 20 Centimeters deserves a mention.

BillJ
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:16 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: United
Transexual Musicals

Originally Posted by wcj1
I think the Transsexual Musical category is one of the more important (entertaining) movie genres.

So while Hedwig is already listed above, 20 Centimeters deserves a mention.

BillJ
Don't forget post #48, "La Cage Aux Folles," and though not specifically musicals, post #3 mentions "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert," and #46 lists "Transamerica."

Wouldn't want to exclude the "T" in "GLBT." Since the readership of the forum seems to be primarily male, we're not seeing any bests in the "L" genre either.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Brokeback Mountain, Priscilla, Hedwig, Transamerica.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.