Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

After 17 years together, we're getting hitched! Honeymoon ideas??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After 17 years together, we're getting hitched! Honeymoon ideas??

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz #1 President's Circle, SPG Platinum
Sorry I don't really have any suggestions but wanted to chime in on the congrats!!!
Old May 19, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Thanks all for the wonderful suggestions for the honeymoon and the many good wishes.

My future in-laws will be visiting us for a couple of weeks during Oktoberfest so I'm hoping we can pop off one weekend while they are there. This is going to be a kidless honeymoon; the way GOD intended!

Paris, northern Italy and Croatia are all sounding good. I'll actually involve my future husband in this decision. Normally, I make all travel related choices but he should probably help out with this one!

And YES, I am hoping to host a DO for Oktoberfest 2009. I'm going to do all the planning during this year's Oktoberfest and then post the event right after. I'll have a DO thread started by the magic 330 days out number.

We're still not sure exactly when LA County will begin issuing licenses. The Board of Supervisors has requested several reports from the various agencies and they will be reporting back at tomorrow's meeting. Two key supervisors are trying to make it happen quickly. Whatever the date, we'll be down there on day one.

I'll keep you posted on our pending nuptials and honeymoon. I really never thought that I'd be having a June wedding.

Last edited by olafman; May 19, 2008 at 3:01 pm
Old May 19, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
"Paris, northern Italy and Croatia are all sounding good"
What do these places have to offer that Glendale does not?
Ok if Glendale is to high tone than Sunland will make a dandy alternative-with cheaper parking for the RV!
And that is another thing-wait till you see the freight bill for shipping the RV to Paris!And gas is like $11 a gallon there----remember 60% of divorce centers around money(10% communication ,10% sex problems,20%infidelity-so if you want to fool around talk to your partner first and make sure there is enough to share )so this is starting down a bad path already.
Glendale,Sunland-or splurge a little and head for Victorville!
Old May 19, 2008, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Alas, the RV is not coming with us to Europe. It's currently for sale. SNIFF SNIFF. We've got a nice two week trip the the Southwest before we leave and then it's bye-bye RV.

So no driving the RV down the Champs d'Elysee.
Old May 19, 2008, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by olafman
Alas, the RV is not coming with us to Europe. It's currently for sale. SNIFF SNIFF. We've got a nice two week trip the the Southwest before we leave and then it's bye-bye RV.

So no driving the RV down the Champs d'Elysee.
You know you could actually transport the car across the Atlantic, right? It's commonly done, albeit at a cost of course.
Old May 20, 2008, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guava
You know you could actually transport the car across the Atlantic, right? It's commonly done, albeit at a cost of course.
It's actually all part of my evil plan that when we get back to the US in three years, then I get to buy a better RV with slide-outs!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, slide-outs.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
And then you can go visit GKG in Hooterville
Old May 21, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Bali or Far North Queensland

Firstly

CONGRATULATIONS - from my better half and I.

We had a commitment ceremony 5 years ago on our 10th anniversay - but in Australia no such luck with legal unions yet.

NZ has them.

Bali is wonderful - you can get fantastic private villas in beautiful terraced rice paddies and be pampered.

Or North of Cairns - some nice islands - or even a gay resort just south of Port Douglas - www.turtlecove.com.

if you need any advize on either or NZ let me know.

Congrats once more - and we want to see the wedding pics.

Adam
Old May 21, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Hi Olafman,

I am very happy for you and your partner. Congratulations.

Although I live in the sunshine state now, I am recently relocated from Boston. My partner and I (now 19 years together) were married in MA in '04. We went to Tuscany for our celebratory trip (Siena, Florence and Cinque Terre). If Europe is your focus, then Provence would be another good idea. Farther afield, but still in Europe, Santorini is magical. I would also suggest Positano and the Amalfi coast (Ravello is stunning). Of course, if price and distance are not an issue, then I have heard the Seychelles, Maldives, Mauritius and (farthest still from your new home) Bora Bora are all supposed to be very special (we are spg Plats and are eyeing the St Regis on BB).

On a side note, when marriage for gay couples became legal in MA we thought of rushing down to City Hall to get hitched. However, instead we decided to plan a small wedding so our immediate family and friends could witness the event. In the end, that was so worth it. We chartered a very small tour boat on the Charles River for the ceremony itself, and a close friend get a special designation from the state to legally perform the ceremony. I am sharing this with you because you might want to consider a bit more organized event so that it can be shared with your loved ones. For me a least, it made the experience infinitely more powerful. I will never forget stating my vows to my partner with our entire families present.

Regards, and what ever you decide to do all the best.

Michael
Old May 21, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: DELTA PM, CO Platinum, PLAT AMEX
Bali or Lanai (Hawaii)

Congrats and have a great time, even though you have been together for 17 years

Have Fun
Old May 21, 2008, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
I second (or third) the recommendations for France and the Greek Isles (and Santorini). Please accept my best wishes to another FT'er!
Old May 21, 2008, 6:40 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Woo Hoo - this thread make TalkMail
Old May 21, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P :-)
First off Congrats on your Engagement!

Secondly, if you're interested in Europe I'd definitely make Italy my first stop. There are so many romantic and cool places to see. I went to school there and have lots of recommendations. So PM me if you're interested.

IF you're open to other suggestions, I HIGHLY recommend the Cook Islands in the South Pacific. We went there on our Honeymoon and it was fantastic!! Very remote, very friendly and very beautiful. If you're a Costco member, they have vacation packages listed there.

Good Luck in your planning. Keep us posted as to where you end up choosing!
Old May 22, 2008, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by peteropny
Woo Hoo - this thread make TalkMail
What's TalkMail?
Old May 22, 2008, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
I second (or third) the recommendations for France and the Greek Isles (and Santorini). Please accept my best wishes to another FT'er!
I am doing a photo report on Greek Isles (see my signature). Santorini happens to be my next episode, which should be posted in the few days or so. A note about Greek Isles as a gay destination - my thoughts is Greek Isles are not the most suitable places for gay honeymoon except perhaps Santorini and Mykonos. It also depends a lot on what the couple is looking for. Mykonos can feel very "cruisy" whereas Santorini is a bit more picturesque and you can spend more alone time I think. The private villa on the cliff can go from 150~1,000 Euros a night. Besides, June~August may be too hot to go Greece, seriously. It was hot already in April, although Greeks were still hidding inside their long winter gears whereas I was wearing shorts...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.