Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Gayla II 9/12-14 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Hope you can join us! I just did another attendee update, dividing people into those who have confirmed accommodations and people still working on arrangements or schedule. Just let me know if I have you in the wrong list.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Ok-booked my flight!
Red eye arriving early Friday.
Unfortunately have to leave Sunday am-work on monday
Now I just have to book a room.
Booked two rooms-splitting stay.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jul 19, 2008 at 5:19 pm
Old Jul 19, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by Seeksreal
Seeing that Fashion Week ends on the 12th, I will try to stay a few more days in NYC so that I can at least participate in some of the festivities. ^
Hmmmm-wonder if the fashionistas staying the weekend is what is making SPG properties so dear
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Very sorry. I must withdraw. Going to Vegas for a LGBT tennis tournament.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

So sorry to hear
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
OK, I've booked flight and hotel (IC Barclay - y'all are welcome to raid my minibar), but put me in as 80%.

Sep 12-14 is when I ramp up for the busiest time of my year, so I reserve the right to cancel if work dictates that I must.

This is gonna be just like Senior Year, but FUNNER!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

YIPPEE!!!!1!!!

But you're in now. No withdrawal. If work beckons, just let your clients know that you have scads of resourceful men at your fingertips who would be only too happy to perform fluffing duties or other tasks.

No, there's no need to thank me, really.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
If work beckons, just let your clients know that you have scads of resourceful men at your fingertips who would be only too happy to perform fluffing duties or other tasks.
Trust me precious, you wouldn't want to fluff anything any of my clients have... My clients aren't exactly the guys you might see at certain establishments in a330marcus' hometown...
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by stratofortress
My clients aren't exactly the guys you might see at certain establishments in a330marcus' hometown...
What do they have against brie & baguettes?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, OnePass Elite, HH GOLD, MR, SPG Corp Plat
I am also a new Ft'er - I would love to join but I am also out of the country.

If you could let me know the next event, that would be great.

Thxs

-PK
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:37 am
Original Poster

PK - There's a sticky with all up coming dates at the top of the forum - it's not up yet, but I think after NY the next full-blown Gayla will be SF at the end of January. Wireless organizes it, so watch for his post.

-----

Gayla update.

I am so sorry folks. Hotel rates continue to suck. When we picked this weekend, I tried to pick a weekend with rates that weren't through the roof, but obviously that's changed. There's almost nothing on Manhattan proper under $300 except the Pod Hotel on Quikbook. $159 in Manhattan is cheap for that weekend and the rate is fully cancelable, BUT you're assumedly talking a miniscule room with one twin bed and shared bathroom. The RED ROOF INN (!!!!) is charging more than the Marriott or the Sheraton. Getting outside Manhattan drops the prices, but you have to go pretty far, and my reservation about hotels in NJ as opposed to Brooklyn or Queens is that it will take longer to get back across the Hudson late at night depending on the bus schedules or your proximity to PATH. Before you commit to any hotel, check transit schedules for late night weekends (depending on how late you'd like to stay out)

If people want to consider splitting the hotel cost with a roommate it would be a significant savings.

This is also a good weekend to consider an award stay if at all possible.

Things may still get better on Hotwire/Priceline closer to the date proper, but to sound like a broken record, please make a cancelable backup booking pronto.

Another thought, because we're doing something fun on Sunday night and Sunday hotel rates in NYC are always lowest, consider coming Sat am to Monday rather than Friday to Sunday if you only have two nights in your hotel budget.

Saturday dinner - I talked to Timmy at Pam Real Thai. I haven't inked the contract, but what we're looking at is something more expensive, but we're also getting more (if humanly possible). We're looking at a later dinner (about 8:30-9pm) - we will have appetizers and drinks at that time (part of the restaurant will be reserved for us and drinks - beer, wine and sake - will be reserved by drink tickets). After cocktails and appetizers, we will sit down to a meal - salads first (two kinds) then entrees (five varied ones). The cost all inclusive including alcoholic drinks (I'm not sure yet if it's one or two, sorry) will be about $43. I realize that's more than last year, but my problem with last year is that the moment we sit at tables, people only talk to their immediate neighbors. Hence the cocktail hour but that raises the price. It's still a very good deal (welcome to Manhattan) and I hope people will understand my thinking (not that you really have a choice . . . )

Sunday night - it looks like I've negotiated a group rate of around $22-23 for the Wau Wau Sisters - it's a $5 discount (ticket cost is $20 + fees)

I'll keep working on stuff. Y'all come.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this one. September is turning out to be a real busy month for me! Work always get in the way!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Folks, I just talked to another attendee - he just booked the next to the last award stay possible at the Sheraton Four Points - it sounds like places are filling up. I once again strongly suggest booking a cancelable backup - maybe something that can be shared to keep the cost in control? If budget is an issue, consider Saturday to Monday - the rates are better (and we're doing something Sunday night)

In about a week to ten days I'm going to ask for a preliminary headcount on events so I can figure out who's going to what.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:36 pm

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Well, don't forget the Carlton Arms on 25th at Lexington.

The pros:
Inexpensive. $80 (tax incl) for one person shared bath/ $110 for private bath.
It is in a GREAT neighborhood (sort of rejuvanated Garmercy Park).

Very funky non-profit sort of hotel where every doorknob, windowsill, wall, and everything else you can think of is painted by an artist (see site). One time I picked a room with an India-style relaxing area under the raised bed (New indoor/outdoor purple carpeting.... who knew such a thing existed?!) and when I climbed up and into the bed and laid down there were sheep with numbers on them jumping over a fence painted on the ceiling above my head.

Also, the shared toilet rooms and shower rooms are very clean.

The cons: the hotel, while the rooms are very private, has a bit of a hostel feeling to it. There are no public spaces, phones in the rooms or tvs. (There is an ooooold tv in the small lobby that has been painted and filled with goldfish!).

Dirty linen will be in the hallway during the day as check-outs are serviced.

No wifi though I think I got some in the neighborhood??

AND: when the NYC rates have just been too prohibitive, I have stayed at the Meadowland area hotels. There is a super convenient express bus into the Port Authority that is, like, $2 OW and stops in front of the hotel(s) (at least the one I stayed in).

Last edited by GoodKarmaGuy; Jul 26, 2008 at 10:32 pm Reason: to make better sense
Old Jul 26, 2008, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Here's the tripadvisor review. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

It sounds like an experience - I just suggest people realize that one gets character in a heaping portion and service in a thimble. Read the description of services on the main page (no maid service, no phones, etc) But that is one hell of a price (I'm less of a princess than I sound - I'd stay there! Just want people to realize what they're getting)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.