Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Singapore retains gay sex ban

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green

From the BBC:
Singapore's parliament has voted against a proposal to decriminalise sex between men, despite receiving a petition signed by thousands of people. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said the government did not consider gays to be a minority with minority rights. In a rare speech to parliament, he said Singapore was a conservative society, and he wanted to keep it so.

While many countries in Asia are moving in the right direction, Singapore decided to take a few steps back. A sad day for gays in that country.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Wonder if they have been to Steam Works?

IMHO banning and really banning are two different things. Beside if they would really ban something I don't believe that there would be much of a difference i.e. Arab countries.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:09 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by holtju2
IMHO banning and really banning are two different things. Beside if they would really ban something I don't believe that there would be much of a difference i.e. Arab countries.
I think what holtju2 is saying is that it may be against the law, but the government doesn't (usually) cane people or execute them for buggery.

Along with no press freedom and extreme penalties for drug offenses, the criminalization of gay sex is a great black mark on a country I otherwise generally respect and admire. For all its glittering success, Singapore is really just a corporatist-fascist one-party (practically one-family) nanny state. I'll take some liberty with my economic growth, thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:08 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Oral sex between heterosexuals is illegal too in Singapore. Doesn't stop it from occuring.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Savage25
Oral sex between heterosexuals is illegal too in Singapore. Doesn't stop it from occuring.
And they've just legalised it. Personally I choose not to support countries where I am so strongly discriminated against in law. While it might be the case that a blind eye is turned to activities that are technically illegal, the legal position that remains gives governments and police carte blanche to steam into gay bars, clubs, saunas whenever they want to curry some favour with religious groups.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
While many countries in Asia are moving in the right direction, Singapore decided to take a few steps back. A sad day for gays in that country.
Singapore is one of the highly westernized countries in Asia... However, it is also a highly conservative country... My only explanation is that it is cultural and very deep-rooted... And family is in the centre of the big picture rather than self... In my opinion, Singapore as a society is much more conservative than countries like China...

My NY friend and I have been comparing notes… And we kinda agree that Singapore as she is now, is pretty much in the same shoes as NYC in the early 50s or 60s… A lot of gay things are being done in a hush-hush manner… It is a case of do-it-and-don’t-get-caught… I pretty much doubt there would be an event like Stonewall that would liberate the small island state in the same way the empire state had in terms of gay acceptance… But from what has happened in the recent years, the island is making some progress in that direction… Be it in a slow, highly metered manner…

Is it sad??? Maybe so for those who have enjoyed the freedom and kinda take it for granted … But it is something we have to go through very much like how “GLBTization” is attained elsewhere… Now, my biggest worry is that other nations start sending battalions of “rainbow warriors” in attempt to liberate their fellow “rainbow people” from the “oppression”… I’m not an expert in sociology… But I believe it is very delicate and highly-interlinked, just like the game of JANGA… A small manipulation of the building blocks might disturb the whole structure and u can’t really predict the outcome…

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I think what holtju2 is saying is that it may be against the law, but the government doesn't (usually) cane people or execute them for buggery.
Like I’ve mentioned, it is a case of do-it-and-don’t-get-caught… But exercise cautions…

Originally Posted by Morland
And they've just legalised it. Personally I choose not to support countries where I am so strongly discriminated against in law. While it might be the case that a blind eye is turned to activities that are technically illegal, the legal position that remains gives governments and police carte blanche to steam into gay bars, clubs, saunas whenever they want to curry some favour with religious groups.
Accordingly to the article, they legalized it only for heterosexual couples...

In Rome, do as the Romans do... and in Singapore, do as the Singaporeans do...

Every individuals are different simply because that's what makes them an individual... And i guess the same thing applies to countries too...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

If Singapore enforced the ban, their jails would be overcrowded.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by izzik
If Singapore enforced the ban, their jails would be overcrowded.
Yepper... But liquid soap will be supplied in place of soap bars... No chance of dropping the soap bar!!!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
They probably keep the statutes on the books to persecute you if they so choose to but don't have any other (solid) legal grounds.

(I'm saying this as a straight emigre).
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:15 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Savage25
Its also still illegal in 6 USA states.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Just asking, would these laws stand up to a constitutional challenge? There are lots of archaic state and local laws in the U.S. that wouldn't withstand a constitutional challenge but remain on the books for one reason or another. No such privilege (let alone rights) in Singapore.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SingaPaul
Accordingly to the article, they legalized it only for heterosexual couples...
Which is what Savage25 is referring to.

Originally Posted by SingaPaul
In Rome, do as the Romans do... and in Singapore, do as the Singaporeans do...

Every individuals are different simply because that's what makes them an individual... And i guess the same thing applies to countries too...
Which is fine if you're a tourist and you can decide where to go and where to spend your money. It's a bit tough if you're a young person growing up there.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by UncleDude
No it isn't. Lawrence v. Texas wiped out those laws.

I cry for Singapore. Well, not that much. But I am glad I left.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:12 pm

Wonder if they have been to Steam Works?

Am I missing out on an inside joke or is there a Steam Works in Singapore too? I thought they were only in CA, PR, Toronto, and Chicago??
I am not a regular patron, I just, um, kinda know this...
Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by danielmadrid07
Am I missing out on an inside joke or is there a Steam Works in Singapore too? I thought they were only in CA, PR, Toronto, and Chicago??
I am not a regular patron, I just, um, kinda know this...
Sorry I was probably too tired last night when I wrote the original message @ LAX.

It is actually Towel Club that seems to email me reminders to visit them every week or so.

Just Google Towel Club and you will find their website.

Last edited by holtju2; Oct 24, 2007 at 5:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.