Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Been a while. And this thread might have outlived its usefulness.

Noticed a new section has been created since. Perhaps, the mods might want to create a social group and unsticky this one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/groups/
Old May 15, 2009, 11:18 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by SingaPaul
Been a while. And this thread might have outlived its usefulness.

Noticed a new section has been created since. Perhaps, the mods might want to create a social group and unsticky this one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/groups/
Welcome back Paul!!!

The FT "social groups" are less than worthless at least in the current state.
Old May 15, 2009, 12:30 pm

amerikajin777/25/DCA-IAD/Merrifield, VA

Hey Guys!

I just found FT through a friend a few months ago and have been posting occaisionally. I've been a travel junkie since I was a kid but never worried about miles until I graduated college (very young, and VERY stupid) I've lived in NRT for six months but live right outside of DC now.

I work for the Navy in procurement, so I travel a few times a year to SAN, OXR, HSV and SYR (in January...ugh). Hopefully I'll get status in Star Alliance soon. I've got a work trip for two weeks to Ventura in July if anyone can give me advice on where to stay what to do via PM.

My bf bought the house two years ago and so he isn't just saving for a downpayment any more, and he's never been well...anywhere except for Nicaragua. So hopefully, lots of travel will be happening in the coming years.

Maybe some FT DC GLBT drinking at Cobalt some Friday night? Free drinks from 11-12 now!

Chris
Old May 15, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Welcome to the forum, Chris! We're glad you found us - there's a decent DC contingent here as well.

Stick around and post!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
I've been lurking on the boards for a few weeks and finally decided to become a more active member. I posted this in another thread but figured I'd run over to the gay contingent and properly introduce myself as well!

Home Airport - ORD (Chicago)

Occupation - Program Analyst for the US Department of Labor

Age - hitting 28 in 1.5 months

Airline - Trying to focus on American Airlines because it's the contract carrier for work, but since I'm just starting to stick my toes in the loyalty program waters I'm mulling things over. Also enrolled in UA (ORD - duh) and DL. Have about 12,000 miles in each program to date.

Destinations - Mostly Midwest destinations for work, but I make the occasional ocean crossing to Asia or Europe or coastal visit to see friends.

Next trip - Domestically I'll be flying to DCA on 7/3 to celebrate the 4th in the capital. Internationally I'm heading to Athens, Greece on DL thanks to the "Sale of the Decade" fiasco a few days ago on 10/13.

Favourite airline - JAL, but that was almost 10 years ago so my memory is foggy at best!

Favourite cities - Chicago, Tokyo, and Washington DC

Interests - Travel, history, politics, and volleyball.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:19 pm

Good to see you here LeoRawrs! Trust me, turning 28 is nothing to fret over. There are PLENTY more numbers after that one.

Stick around and post
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Just discovered this thread so here I am...
47 year old Brit, University Lecturer living down in the southern part of the Indian Ocean on Reunion Island, just next to Mauritius.
Love flying, can't get enough of it....
Love opera too, though I have to wait to travel before I get much of that.
Yoga freak and hiker extraordinaire...

Last edited by flyphilrun; Jun 24, 2009 at 7:01 pm Reason: Spelling....
Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:58 pm

Thanks for representing the Indian Ocean, flyphilrun. Where do you go for opera? London or South Africa? I know what it's like to travel for a performance (ballet here, as my handle suggests) though paradoxically I have a new job that has me writing about ballet more - but locally and traveling less.

Hope you'll join in the discussion!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
CT - base airports BDL/JFK - AA Plt

Hey all,

Been playing in the miles section for last couple of weeks and now just discovered this whole new world over here in travel & dining
Born in South Africa - raised in UK and South Africa (and a short stint in Paris). Now living in rural Connecticut, USA.
38 and love to travel and always looking for travel companions for more off-beat locations - next want to do Cambodia and Myanmar.
Fly almost exclusively with OW (as they are by far the cheapest in the round the world fares from South Africa where I start and end all my tickets for price reasons)
Run two companies - one is a wholesale importer of industrial cleaning products for industries like the photo copier industry, automotive workshops, aircon etc, and the other is tourism to Africa (partner in a long established South African inbound operation for the last 15 years)
Well that's me!
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
Thanks for representing the Indian Ocean, flyphilrun. Where do you go for opera? London or South Africa? I know what it's like to travel for a performance (ballet here, as my handle suggests) though paradoxically I have a new job that has me writing about ballet more - but locally and traveling less.

Hope you'll join in the discussion!
Opera - London mostly and NYC when I can
Theatre - South Africa and London (and some French Reps on tour down here)
Ballet - would you believe we just had "Le Ballet du Rhin" on tour here in Reunion Island. Great Stuff!

PS HI wijibintheair, dare I call you neighbour? SA is just 4hours away....
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:16 am

flyphilrun - Because I have family in the UK I end up in London for ballet reasonably often (last time about two weeks ago to watch a friend retire prematurely ) I looked up the Ballet du Rhin program and it does sound interesting!

wijibintheair - welcome! You and I are also only a couple of hours away - when you're in Connecticut as opposed to SA! Please stick around and join in.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the welcome FlyBalletGuy - and yip not far - the big city is my favorite escape from this sleepy hollow!!
And hi to you too flyphilrun - M. Le Voisin!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I had been in the GLBT forum every now and then, but didn't know it actually has a member list of all the GLBT flyertalkers until today.

Age: Just turned 29 last month, and I don't want to be fall into the 30s group !

Location: Live in chicago (ORD), but originally from HKG, still go back to HKG once or twice a year, and yes, I am gay asian and single, any rice queens out there ? lol. Seriously no racial hang up here.

Airline: UA (I would say 95% of the time, fell in love with UA since the first time I flew UA in 12/1998, I was op up to C on UA 883 ORD-NRT on a 744 OP, the configuration which has large C class all the way to door 4)

Award trips: I basically use miles for F long haul only, mainly for ORD-HKG, basically have flown UA F, SQ F, OZ F (2 rt), and NH F, have done AC C mid con too. My next F trip will probably going thru europe from US to HKG with a combination of hopefully LH F, LX F, TG F, maybe SK C and NZ C.

Hobbies: Meeting other flyertalkers, going to different airline collectible shows, collect airlines memorbilla especially amenity kits, also interested in other public transportations, trains (Chicago Transit Authority L cars, HO models), buses (from Hong Kong double deck buses to US buses), ferries (from Seattle car ferries to Hong Kong Jetfoils). Have many many photos of all public transportations too. Meteorology, weather channel is my favourite, love their local forcast music too, when will I ever see a tornado in front of me live ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jun 19, 2009 at 10:36 am
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Belated "official" welcome ORDnHKG!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I just made a bunch of trouble over in the Hyatt Forum so I thought I'd come make some here.

I live in Los Angeles where I run a graphics and publishing company. Proximity to the airport actually was a factor in deciding where to buy my house. Lifetimes ago, I used to run a gay newspaper in New York. Search Gaysweek on Wikipedia. These days I should be retired but can't quite manage it so I keep cranking out dem flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.