Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:48 am

Programs: LH SEN, ME Cedar Miles Prestige
Originally Posted by KenJohn
But Dubai is still nice if you are after a holiday with a non-gay scene. For the right price, you get pampered and get to indulge and live if up. Its what Dubai pushes.

By the way, the gaydar website is blocked in Dubai.
????????????????????
Gays prefering holiday destinations with a non-gay scene?
I mean you do not HAVE to go to gay scene even if there is one.

But that would be a great new topic in the GLBT board.
Best destinations for Gays without any gay scene

Last edited by Jimmy67; Oct 24, 2007 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But be sure to do Tel Aviv after Beirut, since Lebanon won't let you in the country if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport.

Originally Posted by holtju2

Better yet do both Beirut and tel Aviv on the same trip.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
But be sure to do Tel Aviv after Beirut, since Lebanon won't let you in the country if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport.

There are several options to circumvent this:

1. Ask the israeli immigration guys to not stamp your passport.

2. Have 2 passports: This is actually what most of my colleagues have who travel often in that region

3. Make friends with gays in Lebanese secret service. They even can make it possible to DIRECTLY go from Israel to Lebanon. Just google: Daniel Sharon gay

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/906147.html
Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
You really don't want to go to Tel Aviv with a Lebanese stamp in your passport. Tt will significantly delay the immigration process as I found out last year.

The solution is to have two passports. I have one with "clean" stamps and one with "naughty" ones.

Last edited by holtju2; Oct 24, 2007 at 5:05 pm
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jimmy67
Gays prefering holiday destinations with a non-gay scene?
I am the only gay in the village - I am the gay scene!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy67
Men? Which men in Dubai?

If you are into Hot Middle easterners then go either to Beirut or even Tel Aviv.
At least these two cities have kind of culture.
I dont know whats so special about the shopping in Dubai. You can get all the stuff in Europe too and its not even very much cheaper.

Weather: Most of the time its just too hot i think.

In general: The marketing guys promoting Dubai in Europe are doing a pretty good job creating the "wish" to visit this artificial city in the middle class in Europe.

Did you fellow FTlers never ask yourself why all the middle easterners , especially the gays, dont do their holiday in Dubai, but in in Beirut? SO why then go to Dubai?
The Middle/ upper class gay arabs will all be found in Beirut letting their hair down

Beirut is the most gay friendly arab country with a decent gay infrastructure
If anybody knows, you should, so I'll take your word for it.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 12:08 pm
BCH

In case you guys missed this article in the New York Times (Nov 1, 2007) on a European kid who was raped in Dubai by three guys and on the local authorities' response.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/wo...ld&oref=slogin

Here are some points:
"The authorities not only discouraged Alex from pressing charges, he, his family and French diplomats say; they raised the possibility of charging him with criminal homosexual activity, and neglected for weeks to inform him or his parents that one of his attackers had tested H.I.V. positive while in prison four years earlier.
United Arab Emirates law does not recognize rape of males, only a crime called “forced homosexuality.” The two adult men charged with sexually assaulting Alex have pleaded not guilty, although sperm from all three were found in Alex. ... Legal experts here say that men convicted of sexually assaulting other men usually serve sentences ranging from a few months to two years.
[This matter] also highlights the taboos surrounding H.I.V. and homosexuality that Dubai residents say have allowed rampant harassment of gays and have encouraged the health system to treat H.I.V. virtually in secret. (Under Emirates law, foreigners with H.I.V., or those convicted of homosexual activity, are deported.)"

I was there in January. I think that as long as you're discreet about it nobody will really care. Homosexuality is technically illegal in the UAE. But if you're staying at a nice international hotel I think you'll be fine.
I never understand why gay travelers want to support with their tourism those countries that have clearly said "You're not welcome here" to the foreign gays and continue to oppress the local ones.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by BCH

I never understand why gay travelers want to support with their tourism those countries that have clearly said "You're not welcome here" to the foreign gays and continue to oppress the local ones.
This discussion is old, BCH.
You dont support with your tourism the politics of a country. You support the people there. What about some nice discussions with the sooo oppressed local gays there and learn what is really going on?

By the way to which middle eastern countries exept Israel have you been BCH?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:10 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Ever been to the vast worker camps with raw sewage in the streets where the imported and exploited staff that keep the place running live? Maybe great for those into heavy M/S, S &M, disipline scenes. The REAL Dubai, eh?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:08 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - people - we're wandering over to discussion of politics (especially middle east politics again) - please keep the topic on Dubai. Thanks!!!

peteropny - co-moderator - GLBT
Old Nov 2, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec.; UA One Million Mile Flier; AA Executive Platinum; AA One Million Mile Flyer
Male Rape in Dubai

Speaking of Dubai - There was a front page story in yesterday's NY Times (11/01/07) about the rape of a French male teenage by 3 Emirati men and the major challenges the legal system there has presented to the boy and his parents, including the government's witholding of the HIV positive status of one of the rapists.

At one point, the parents were told that their son could be arrested for having been raped and serve a year in jail, as homsexuality is illegal in Dubai. At one point they had their son leave the country.

Suggest anyone considering a visit to Dubai might get some insight into the "sexual politics" of the country, by reading this article.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 5:55 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I read the article, very disturbing. Hopefully, the public pressure will make Dubai modernize its criminal-justice system to match its supposedly modernized commercial-law system.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I agree. I will not be visiting Dubai any time soon.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 10:33 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I agree. I will not be visiting Dubai any time soon.
Ditto. I'll go out of my way to avoid it. Extremely sad and disturbing article.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Anyone with tips about Dubai gay life? Btw, just found out that gaydar and all gay related websites are denied access in Dubai....

Rgs,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.