Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

Hey there guys n gals, in April my buddy and I booked the wonderfully cheap $1100 DL BE fares EWR-ATL-GIG for New Year, departing 12/26, returning the night of 1/1. We THEN started looking into hotels. Yikes!
I know all of the recommended hotels on here, and have contacted most of them, but they are either sold out already (more likely holding rooms so they can charge what they want), or are asking about US$300-500 per night.
Here is what we have so far:
12/27-30: 3 nights at the Sofitel Rio, for $180/night, including BF (I wish that stood for BoyFriend, but alas, it's just BreakFast). The Sofitel seems very well located, just in between Copacabana and Ipanema, and has good to very good reviews on TripAdvisor.
12/30-1/1: 2 nights--unknown. The Sofitel is offering a New Year's "package" (read: not normal prices, with a few extras thrown in) for about US$500/night, including taxes and breakfast.

Our other choices seem to include going down the beach to the Sheraton Barra for the last 2 nights (out of town a bit, but decent reports on TripAdvisor), still over $300/night.
Essentially, there are about 3 hotels offering availability thru Travel Agencies; otherwise, you're on your own to call/email each hotel and find out their inflated prices.
Keep in mind, I'm not complaining about the prices--I know now that demand is huge at this time; I'm just wondering if I have covered all my bases before I book the Sofitel. Our price range is flexible, but obviously $2000 seems like a lot for 5 nights--but that, I think, is what we're going to be paying to stay in a reasonably nice place.

As for apartments, we contacted several. They also end up being quite expensive, mostly over $2000, since just about all of them require a one-week minimum (some a 2-week minimum!) over New Year, and we're only there 5 nights.

So, we're tempted to pay the price for the Sofitel and feel better by rationalizing and averaging the total price in our heads (about $1800 for the 5 nights).
Also, even better, we don't have to change hotels mid-vacation. The first 3 nights at the Sofitel are changeable, cancellable; if we book the "package", it's non-refundable.
Any other recommendations/advice before we book?
Thanks!

Last edited by kyushuman; Aug 16, 2005 at 8:29 am
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Have you tried the Luxor Regente, which is just a couple blocks down from the Sofitel? A nice hotel too, but a little less than the Sofitel, I think. Btw, most of the Copa hotels have a 3-night minimum package for New Year's.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by MeVoy
Have you tried the Luxor Regente, which is just a couple blocks down from the Sofitel? A nice hotel too, but a little less than the Sofitel, I think. Btw, most of the Copa hotels have a 3-night minimum package for New Year's.
I will look into the Luxor, but I've been emailing with many hotels about their "packages", which essentially are a room, breakfast, and little more--for about $300-500 per night. I'm not going to let a few hundred bucks get in the way of our having fun; I'm just trying to find a decent deal IF there is one to be had.
Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
In this case I would probably contact a travel agent in Rio who might have better access to hotel availability. As you have noticed the prices are out of whack during the new year as well as during the carnival.

You may want to check with http://www.romanus.8k.com/

I was in Rio during the new year and stayed in a friend's apartment for the few most expensive days around the new year.

Last edited by holtju2; Aug 16, 2005 at 4:27 pm
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:26 pm

Yes the hotels charge way too much for New Years! Try The design hotel. Sofitel is in a great location.

The Sheraton Barra is way too far even by cheap taxi standards... not worth it.

Trust me you will have the best New Years ever!! Too bad you are leaving on Jan. 1 2006. You will not want to leave

Do search on this forum under Rio and you will find some good info!

Enjoy your trip!
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Sheraton Rio

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hey there guys n gals, in April my buddy and I booked the wonderfully cheap $1100 DL BE fares EWR-ATL-GIG for New Year, departing 12/26, returning the night of 1/1. We THEN started looking into hotels. Yikes!
I know all of the recommended hotels on here, and have contacted most of them, but they are either sold out already (more likely holding rooms so they can charge what they want), or are asking about US$300-500 per night.
Here is what we have so far:
Have you tried the Sheraton Rio? My partner and I have stayed there twice during Xmas to New Years and it's a decent hotel. I have heard that some of the rooms aren't so great but we have always had a great room, although I am Platinum with Starwood so maybe that's why we have no complaints. It's about a 30 minute walk to the gay beach, all down hill which we enjoy doing on the way to the beach and then hail a cab for around $4 to return.

In addition, there always seem to be a lot of gay guys staying at this hotel during this period, most likely cause we are all using those hard earned points. This year myself, my partner and two of our friends will be staying there during that time period too. In fact we too are taking the 1/1 flight from GIG to ATL.

Last edited by GeorgeK; Aug 16, 2005 at 6:16 pm
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Have you tried the Sheraton Rio? My partner and I have stayed there twice during Xmas to New Years and it's a decent hotel. I have heard that some of the rooms aren't so great but we have always had a great room, although I am Platinum with Starwood so maybe that's why we have no complaints. It's about a 30 minute walk to the gay beach, all down hill which we enjoy doing on the way to the beach and then hail a cab for around $4 to return.

In addition, there always seem to be a lot of gay guys staying at this hotel during this period, most likely cause we are all using those hard earned points. This year myself, my partner and two of our friends will be staying there during that time period too. In fact we too are taking the 1/1 flight from GIG to ATL.
Thanks!
did you guys get the cheap Business Elite tix too?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 8:08 pm

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Using miles...

Originally Posted by kyushuman
Thanks!
did you guys get the cheap Business Elite tix too?
No, we didn't know about the sale so we cashed in 90,000 each for business class. If I had known about that airfare sale we would have purchased the tickets and saved the miles...Oh well!!

Is this your first time to Rio?
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA GLD
I got the same time period. 12/26-1/2 with the UA business class sale from the West Coast to Rio for $1300! Amazing fare! I had the same problem w/ hotels in Rio, though. I got the Sheraton Barra for the $59 travel agent rate until 12/30, but coudn't find anything after that. So I booked my last 2 nights in Sao Paolo, which is where I depart from on the night of 1/1. Anyone know if anything happens in Sao Paulo for New Year? Will I hate myself for doing it? Should I go somewhere else (other than the completely sold out Rio?)
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sftrvlr
I got the same time period. 12/26-1/2 with the UA business class sale from the West Coast to Rio for $1300! Amazing fare! I had the same problem w/ hotels in Rio, though. I got the Sheraton Barra for the $59 travel agent rate until 12/30, but coudn't find anything after that. So I booked my last 2 nights in Sao Paolo, which is where I depart from on the night of 1/1. Anyone know if anything happens in Sao Paulo for New Year? Will I hate myself for doing it? Should I go somewhere else (other than the completely sold out Rio?)
Rio is not, by any means, completely sold out for New Year. In fact, there seems to be a glut of rooms available, all at ridiculous prices.
What all of the hotels do is pull ALL of their New Year inventory, re-package them as 2, 3, or 7-night minimum "packages", and charge about $200-500 per night for their normal rooms. Every single hotel I've contacted has had plenty of room available, but you MUST book the packages, and the packages are always non-refundable.
So, the last choice I have is playing roulette and hoping that hotels which haven't sold their New Years rooms will sell them for "normal" prices just before New Year. I doubt I'll chance it, but it's tempting.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:27 am

SFtrvlr:

Do yourself a favor and spring for the cost of the standard 2- or 3-night package at one of the less expensive Rio hotels. You will forever regret skipping the world's most fabulous party if you miss out on New Year's eve in Rio, especially since you've spent $1300 to go there anyway. Do it, even if it means missing a few nights out in SF
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:02 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Dont Miss New Year"s Eve In Rio!!!!!!!!!!

You will forever regret skipping the world's most fabulous party if you miss out on New Year's eve in Rio

Agree!!!!!!! Dont miss New Year's Eve in Rio. This is one of the world's best parties. In my opnion New Year in Rio is actually better than Carnaval time (which I prefer in Salvador da Bahia or Olinda, near Recife).

Check this decent 3* hotel - Mar Ipanema Hotel: great location between Ipanema and Leblon, only two blocks from the sea, they usually have good promotionals/packages for New Year: USD 550/650 3 nights or 600/700 5 nights or USD 750/880 7 nights...not bad!

http://www.maripanema.com/english/index.asp

Rgs,

Last edited by hardiwv; Aug 18, 2005 at 6:05 am
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by hardiwv
Agree!!!!!!! Dont miss New Year's Eve in Rio. This is one of the world's best parties. In my opnion New Year in Rio is actually better than Carnaval time (which I prefer in Salvador da Bahia or Olinda, near Recife).
I was in Rio last New Year and in Salvador da Bahia during the carnival. The New Year was fine but I would rather spend my time in Rio other time of the year. As a matter of fact I am flying to Rio in 1st of September and then to Salvador on 15th of September.

The carioca who was with me in Salvador da Bahia was a bit disappointed about the carnival in Salvador. BTW it was very rainy in Salvador during the carnival time this year.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GLD
Gloria Hotel?

Anyone know it? They are showing a rate of US$100/night for 12/30 and 12/31. Looks nice enough, but photos can be deceiving.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:32 am

Anyone know it? They are showing a rate of US$100/night for 12/30 and 12/31. Looks nice enough, but photos can be deceiving.
The Gloria Hotel is closer to downtown, and quite some distance away from Copacabana where the celebrations will be. I'm not sure about transportation in and out of Copa for New Year's Eve, but I do know it is difficult, since the streets leading into Copa are closed fairly early in the evening. Not to be recommended unless you know your way around. Perhaps others will disagree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.