Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Rio New Year Hotel Options--Advice Please

Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Anyone going to Rio for Xmas feeling social?

So who all is definitely going to Rio for Xmas to New Years?
Is anyone interested else in interested in meeting others for a drink or to have a chat at the beach?

There are six of us going and we are all staying at the Sheraton Rio. Three of us are flying down on the DL nonstop on 12/24 returning on 1/1. The other three are flying DL down on 12/27 and returning on 1/8.

Anyway, on gay vacations in the past whether it be on a gay cruise or going to a gay resort such as Key West or Palm Springs, half the fun and memories are meeting new people. So is anyone else feeling social?

Last edited by GeorgeK; Nov 22, 2005 at 8:02 am Reason: Grammer
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: CO GOLD
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Hey there guys n gals, in April my buddy and I booked the wonderfully cheap $1100 DL BE fares EWR-ATL-GIG for New Year, departing 12/26, returning the night of 1/1. We THEN started looking into hotels. Yikes!
I know all of the recommended hotels on here, and have contacted most of them, but they are either sold out already (more likely holding rooms so they can charge what they want), or are asking about US$300-500 per night.
Here is what we have so far:
12/27-30: 3 nights at the Sofitel Rio, for $180/night, including BF (I wish that stood for BoyFriend, but alas, it's just BreakFast). The Sofitel seems very well located, just in between Copacabana and Ipanema, and has good to very good reviews on TripAdvisor.
12/30-1/1: 2 nights--unknown. The Sofitel is offering a New Year's "package" (read: not normal prices, with a few extras thrown in) for about US$500/night, including taxes and breakfast.

Our other choices seem to include going down the beach to the Sheraton Barra for the last 2 nights (out of town a bit, but decent reports on TripAdvisor), still over $300/night.
Essentially, there are about 3 hotels offering availability thru Travel Agencies; otherwise, you're on your own to call/email each hotel and find out their inflated prices.
Keep in mind, I'm not complaining about the prices--I know now that demand is huge at this time; I'm just wondering if I have covered all my bases before I book the Sofitel. Our price range is flexible, but obviously $2000 seems like a lot for 5 nights--but that, I think, is what we're going to be paying to stay in a reasonably nice place.

As for apartments, we contacted several. They also end up being quite expensive, mostly over $2000, since just about all of them require a one-week minimum (some a 2-week minimum!) over New Year, and we're only there 5 nights.

So, we're tempted to pay the price for the Sofitel and feel better by rationalizing and averaging the total price in our heads (about $1800 for the 5 nights).
Also, even better, we don't have to change hotels mid-vacation. The first 3 nights at the Sofitel are changeable, cancellable; if we book the "package", it's non-refundable.
Any other recommendations/advice before we book?
Thanks!

Are you familiar with RIO at all?....I have been 6 times in the last 5 years...(have to renew the visa now).....
I always stay in an apartment.....for the time you are looking for the price should be about 90.00 or so U.S. dollars per night for a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, livingroom, diningroom, and a doorman.
If you are the adventurous type and like to play around, the hotels in RIO do not allow any unregistered guests up tot he rooms. This is for your safety and the hotels safety. Crime is not uncommon to tourist. the places we stay are eithedr right next to LaBoy club, or 1 block off the beach near copa palace hotel.
If you are familiar with RIO and dont need a hotel clerk to give you advice on sights and things, this way is so cheap. they may require you to book a whole week, but hey, it is still cheaper than the hotel prices for 4 days
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some feedback on our own experience of Rio hotels in this season. We stayed at the Pestana to be on Copacabana Beach for NYE and had a great time there. Staff were super-friendly and they treated us very well. It does pay off, though, to use your charm, joke and be friendly and not come off all DYKWIA. The hotel does not have an especially gay clientele but I guess that just about every Copacabana seafront hotel has its fair share of gay guests for the New Year. There was certainly no shortage of that at the Pestana. cadet93 remarks on bringing unregistered guests back to your room are spot on, though. I managed to sneak somebody in, but my partner was less lucky. Basically, if you are obviously non-Brazilian and your partner is obviously Brazilian, the odds of making it past the front desk are slim. If you either look Brazilian or your 'friend' plausibly European/North American, you might make it through.

After new year, we moved to the Parthenon Arpoador. Good location in Arpoador (viz. between Copacabana and Ipanema) and very reasonable rates. Spacious flats (suite types) and modern equipment and a rather high gay-to-straight ratio. It may be worth your while to negotiate the rate (we did, and it worked pretty well). They are somewhat less fussy on bringing guests back to your room .

I agree, though, that hiring a flat is probably the best solution and it is likely that this is what we will do next time we are in Rio.

Now, we are off to SP next week-end (staying between Paulista Avenue and Ibirapuera Park). Any bar/club suggestions? I did a search on this but this did not bring much clear information.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by NickB
Now, we are off to SP next week-end (staying between Paulista Avenue and Ibirapuera Park). Any bar/club suggestions? I did a search on this but this did not bring much clear information.
If you are staying at the Paulista area the Frans Cafe has a very gay clientele all day long. Director’s Gourmet is one of the early ones to visit too.

http://www.guiagaybrasil.com.br/esta...cesso=spBoates

Ultralounge
The Week
Nostro Mundo
Lov.E
D-Edge
BuBu Lounge

Atari and AMP

Venues in SP change rapidly. The girls and guys at the Renaissance's Club were more than eager to make me a list day by day by calling other employees/their friends.

You will find out that the night life in SP is far superior to that off Rio.

Last edited by holtju2; Jan 4, 2006 at 10:48 pm
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:46 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
The reason why hotels in Brazil try to spot 'friends' that are invited to one's room is only for the guest to be safe. As long as the guest drops by the check-in and let them take a note of the ID of the 'friend', you can bring up to your room whomever you want. Basically they want to make sure the 'friend' knows that if whatever may happen to the hotel's guest, hotel security is able to swiftly trace who the 'friend' was - and by doing so they avoid problems at their properties.

Nightlife in SP compared to Rio is unfair. It's like day and night or comparing New York and smallville.

holtju2's suggestions are great, as big hotels in SP are expected to cater to gay customers. Bear in mind that the most important street event in SP (economically speaking) is the Gay Pride with over 1M people, including families, babies, etc - no ghetto stuff. At this time you should expect hotels to be booked full.

The site that keeps places (from saunas to bars, discos, cinemas and restaurants, and... all updated for SP (and other cities) in Brazil is

Gay spots in Sao Paulo, Brazil

Enjoy SP and come with lots of time to see it all.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pb9997
The reason why hotels in Brazil try to spot 'friends' that are invited to one's room is only for the guest to be safe. As long as the guest drops by the check-in and let them take a note of the ID of the 'friend', you can bring up to your room whomever you want. Basically they want to make sure the 'friend' knows that if whatever may happen to the hotel's guest, hotel security is able to swiftly trace who the 'friend' was - and by doing so they avoid problems at their properties.
Well, in Rio/Copacabana at least, the policy seems to be much stricter. Our hotel would not accept unregistered guests upstairs, period. From what I have heard from others, that this seems to be pretty standard policy along Av. Atlantica.

Thanks guys for the links and suggestions.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
5 Nights at the Sofitel for New Year

Originally Posted by cadet93
Are you familiar with RIO at all?....I have been 6 times in the last 5 years...(have to renew the visa now).....
I always stay in an apartment.....for the time you are looking for the price should be about 90.00 or so U.S. dollars per night for a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, livingroom, diningroom, and a doorman.
If you are the adventurous type and like to play around, the hotels in RIO do not allow any unregistered guests up tot he rooms. This is for your safety and the hotels safety. Crime is not uncommon to tourist. the places we stay are eithedr right next to LaBoy club, or 1 block off the beach near copa palace hotel.
If you are familiar with RIO and dont need a hotel clerk to give you advice on sights and things, this way is so cheap. they may require you to book a whole week, but hey, it is still cheaper than the hotel prices for 4 days
Sorry I missed your last post. Well, NOW I'm familiar with Rio... we just got back from an incredible New Year week! We're already looking into flights for next year.
We were very happy with the Sofitel--great location just between Copacabana and Ipanema, incredible views from the Junior Suite, decent service, a great VIP Lounge for Imperial Club guests on the rooftop, breakfasts on the pool deck overlooking Copacabana or on the Imperial Club rooftop overlooking the city.... for a first-time visitor it was great. Also there were several "Reveillon" parties included in their 2-night package, which we didn't really expect, ALL of which included free, unlimited alcohol from black-tie staff: A welcome party with door prizes and live samba music and excellent hors d'oeuvres, then breakfast the next morning, then a traditional Brazilian Feijoada the next afternoon, again with excellent live music on the 31st, again with drinks; 2 bottles of Champange delivered on ice at 9pm so we could watch the fireworks from our room; souvenir aprons from the feijoada, souvenir champagne glasses, and even beach flip-flops with Sofitel Rio de J. imprinted on them. On the morning of the 1st, there was free-flowing champagne at the breakfast buffet in the Imperial Club! I don't drink that often, but let's just say I enjoyed myself immensely.
As for unregistered guests, they never stopped me when I was with my Brazilian friend (a guy I met on my first day there, who hung out with us the last few days) but they ALWAYS stopped him when he was entering the hotel alone. He was always allowed up, he just sometimes had to give over the copy of his ID.
Next time, though, I think an apartment would be great, since there are lots of full-service supermarkets, gyms, and restaurants nearby, you don't really need the hotel so much once you know the lay of the land.

And to be honest, while I do believe you that you are getting your 3BR/1.5BA nice apartment for New Year's week for about $700 for the week, you don't mention any agency or place to rent one for that price. In fact, I contacted every single apartment agency--maybe 8 or 10 of them--I could find (both from suggestions here, and from other Rio tourist web sites). I found EVERYONE's prices to be in the US$2000 range for the week, give or take. I do know that "normal" prices (meaning NOT New Year/Carnivale weeks) are about US$75-100 per night, though. For these special weeks, prices seem to triple or quadrouple. Or, I was unlucky with the places I contacted!
Where did you stay for New Year for $90/night? Please share with us so we don't pay so much next year.
Again, I highly recommend Rio as a New Year destination. Great everything... the beach, weather, sightseeing, people, food. And a fantastic fireworks display, with 2 million people covering Copacabana Beach.
Thanks!

Last edited by kyushuman; Jan 5, 2006 at 6:11 am
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by NickB
Well, in Rio/Copacabana at least, the policy seems to be much stricter. Our hotel would not accept unregistered guests upstairs, period. From what I have heard from others, that this seems to be pretty standard policy along Av. Atlantica.
In Rio I have only invited guests when I was staying at InterContinental. No problem bringing more than one guest for a night cap.

Sao Paulo exactly the same. Grand Hyatt, Renaissance, and InterContinental could care less. They do want to make a copy of the document, however, but IMHO thats fine.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
New Year's 2007

Alright...so it looks like there is a big contingent of us going down to Rio for New Year's. Probably between 8 - 10 people. Does anyone have any recommendations of decent apartment rentals that are on/near the beach? I'm not sure what apartment rentals run during this time, but I would imagine the group max is around $250 - 300/bedroom/night. I know that might be a bit optimistic for Rio during NYE, but I figured an economies of scale situation might prevail as the number of bedrooms goes up.

Any help is appreciated!

Also, how important is it that we actually be staying in Copacabana during the actual NYE fireworks? The sense I get is that Ipanema is really the place to be...But I can imagine it would be nice to watch the fireworks from our private terrace in a Copacabana highrise.

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by RChavez
Alright...so it looks like there is a big contingent of us going down to Rio for New Year's. Probably between 8 - 10 people. Does anyone have any recommendations of decent apartment rentals that are on/near the beach? I'm not sure what apartment rentals run during this time, but I would imagine the group max is around $250 - 300/bedroom/night. I know that might be a bit optimistic for Rio during NYE, but I figured an economies of scale situation might prevail as the number of bedrooms goes up.

Any help is appreciated!

SNOB

Also, how important is it that we actually be staying in Copacabana during the actual NYE fireworks? The sense I get is that Ipanema is really the place to be...But I can imagine it would be nice to watch the fireworks from our private terrace in a Copacabana highrise.

Thanks!

SNOB
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by umguy
SNOB
I prefer to call it the dignified pursuit of comfort.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hardiwv

You will forever regret skipping the world's most fabulous party if you miss out on New Year's eve in Rio

Agree!!!!!!! Dont miss New Year's Eve in Rio. This is one of the world's best parties. In my opnion New Year in Rio is actually better than Carnaval time (which I prefer in Salvador da Bahia or Olinda, near Recife).
Agree. Have had a few NYE in Rio and they are wonderful - gay or not.

DO try and book on Ave Atlantica. And DO pay the extra for beach view. Do NOT book out in the boonies. You are very likely to be mugged getting to or from. I mean it.

There is a very good Rio wholesaler who seems to package some of these at better than booking direct with Hotels. I'll try and locate his name.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:24 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I live in Rio and would be happy to provide any help I can with advice.

My partner has a completely equipped rwo bed-room tourist flat in Copacabana, suitable for up to four people, with air-conditioning, cable tv, etc. It is two blocks from the beach, but has no view. During New Years it is $140 / night, with a minimum of one week. We usually have a party at our own place, right on the beach next-door to the Copacabana Palace Hotel , with a full view of the festivities. Further details available on request.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 6:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by ajnaro
I live in Rio and would be happy to provide any help I can with advice.

My partner has a completely equipped rwo bed-room tourist flat in Copacabana, suitable for up to four people, with air-conditioning, cable tv, etc. It is two blocks from the beach, but has no view. During New Years it is $140 / night, with a minimum of one week. We usually have a party at our own place, right on the beach next-door to the Copacabana Palace Hotel , with a full view of the festivities. Further details available on request.
Thanks, ajnaro! Well, it's looking like our group is at least 7 confirmed with another 3 potentials, so we're actually looking for something like a penthouse apartment with 4-5 bedrooms, or a building that would have 2 apartments available pretty near to each other.

If you know of any good agencies that we might be able to work with, preferably one with access to a fair bit of inventory since things seem to already be filling up, I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Also, if we do wind up renting an apartment in Ipanema, how exactly does one get over to Copacabana for the festivities? From prior threads it appears that motor traffic into the area is restricted from very early on.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Time to resurrect this thread again...

Sort of last minute, but the partner and I have decided to spend NYE in Rio this year as well. However, only 4 nights, so that rules out many of the hotels. Would the Portinari be a decent choice? From what I see it's not too far from the Sofitel, which people here seem to rate very highly....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.