Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions for Rio and Sao Paulo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Suggestions for Rio and Sao Paulo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by holtju2
It is way more yummier down the beach where you can enjoy some .... as well. Fasano is definitely nice. How much are they charging?
Ha.

They are giving me an agent rate, so it's a healthy discount such that it's worth considering (as I would never dream of paying their leisure rates), but still much more than I would pay at Ipanema Plaza for their upgraded rooms.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by RChavez
Yeah, I will be there for four days. So I figured I would alternate between the beach and the pool.

Speaking of the beach, for those who hang out solo on the beach, would you even bother bringing an ipod, or leave everything but reading material back in the room?
The less you bring, the better. It gets very cramped. I wouldn't bring an ipod (too risky for theft). Bring things you don't mind losing. Bring a few reals for fresh cappys
Old Jan 20, 2009, 6:21 pm

Don't bring an iPod. Besides the risk of theft, you'll be more social without it. By the way, iPods are very valuable in Brazil due to tariffs driving up the price.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by rrgg
Don't bring an iPod. Besides the risk of theft, you'll be more social without it. By the way, iPods are very valuable in Brazil due to tariffs driving up the price.
The import duty in Brazil typically doubles the retail price compared to US.

I would not worry too much about the theft as long as you just keep it with you and don't let you mind wandering..... Which might be difficult in beach though.

People always think that I am crazy when I go back to Brazil after one successful mugging attempt, two unsuccessful ones, being pointed at guns, and once when police was trying to get me to pay bribes for not having a passport with me. It is way too fun there to worry about these small incidents.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
I don't want to sound biased or anything, but guys... come on! How can you NOT prefer Sao Paulo nightlife to Rio's?

The "thing" about Sao Paulo is that you need someone to guide you, so that might be a bit of a challange for some of you.

I have been out and about both many times and let me just say that Sao Paulo is way better. You will find clubs opened every single day until 8 AM, you can choose any type of music you like and there WILL be a perfect club for you.

Apart from the traditional gay clubs in Sao Paulo (The Week, Bubu Lounge and Disco, A Loca, Flexx etc.) some of the most upscale and highly praised clubs in the city have a pretty ecletic crowd, where you can see both gay and straight couples making out.

Granted Sao Paulo is just a big chaotic city during the day, but if you are looking for a great nightlife, it's a no-brainer. It's much better than Berlin or New York.....^
Old Jan 28, 2009, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Sao Paulo is even worse than Rio!!!!!!!! peligroso
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by RChavez
Ha.

They are giving me an agent rate, so it's a healthy discount such that it's worth considering (as I would never dream of paying their leisure rates), but still much more than I would pay at Ipanema Plaza for their upgraded rooms.
Their regular rates are really high, especially for Rio/Brazil. But there is no comparison with the Ipanema Plaza (except that the IP's location is a bit better). What type of room did you reserve? The interior rooms can be small and no view whatsoever (I think they call it a "courtyard view", which is quite generous). I stay at another hotel in Ipanema (though I have visited the rooms at Fasano), but I eat at Fasano al Mare which is great, like all of the Fasano restaurants. It can be quite a scene (much less staid than their property in Sao Paulo), and the lobby area is very small. The pool is smallish but gorgeous with spectacular views. Staff is very nice with the exception of a few ditzy hostesses in the restaurant. You can skip the Fasano beach service and walk over to the gay beach.

P.S. The design is great all around, there is really no other property in Rio like it.

Last edited by blairvanhorn; Jan 29, 2009 at 11:10 am Reason: Forgot: design
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:27 am

Sao Paulo

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some help. A few friends and myself were going to visit a Brazilian friend in Sao Paulo, but she says she now won't be in the country, so we've lost our guide basically.

Does anyone have a general idea where the gay bars would be in Sao Paulo?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:00 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

nekosabre - welcome to Flyertalk and our GLBT forum.

I've merged your question into the "main" thread on Sao Paulo for housekeeping purposes.

Thanks!!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by nekosabre
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some help. A few friends and myself were going to visit a Brazilian friend in Sao Paulo, but she says she now won't be in the country, so we've lost our guide basically.

Does anyone have a general idea where the gay bars would be in Sao Paulo?
You will find the vast majority of those around the Jardins/Cerqueira César/Consolação area. Those are located in the vicinity of Av. Paulista, which is the probably the most famous area of the city.

If you are looking for nightclubs, you might want to share what kind of music and scene you are into...

If you go to the right places in Sao Paulo, you will see that it does not get much better than that when it comes to nightclubs. Tourists just don't know where to go....^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.