Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Advice on Costa del Sol and Mallorca/Majorca?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Costa del Sol and Mallorca/Majorca?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles, US Dividend Miles, AWA Flight Fund
Question Advice on Costa del Sol and Mallorca/Majorca?

Hey all...

I have a timeshare I traded through my interval exchange and I've been reading about beach locations. Does anyone have any opinions on Costa del Sol and Mallorca/Majorca? Are these gay-friendly/gay-hostile? Is it somewhere I would want to go?

Lacking these, what other beach locations outside the US, USVI, BVI, and Mexico might I want to try?

Merci beaucoup toujours....
Old Feb 14, 2005, 11:47 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well I can't say about Mallorca, as I've not been there. However, we went to Costa del Sol (aka Costa del Crime) last year. Hated it.

We stayed in Puerto Banus (it could do with losing the B) and it was Essex on Sea. We should have known better when folks were lighting up in the baggage claim in Malaga.

As far as gay life goes, we were the only gays in the village (or so it seemed). The rest was the cream of Britain on holiday (do bear in mind that this area of Spain is prime 'bucket and spade' territory. With folks in somberos going: "Torremolinos! Torremolinos!" Of course, when I finally found the only bloddy gay bar, we decided to go have dinner first and then come back (there was only one person in there). When we did it had shut down - it was it's last night before moving to Marbella.

Food there was terrilble and over priced. We only had tapas after several days!

We drove two hours to Granada to go to the Alhambra. Got there and tickets were gone for the day! Need to book these in advance if you do go.

The area is flooded with estate agents and cranes trying to build on any square inch of land, so Brits and Germans can 'Live the Dream'. More like nightmare to me.

That said, the 'Spanish' areas were lovely: Malaga with the Picasso Museum. Ronda was stunning. If I were going there, I would stay at the Parador in Ronda.

So, sadly, you won't get much of a recommendation for Costa from me.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
But apart from that, you enjoyed it
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
The rest was the cream of Britain on holiday (do bear in mind that this area of Spain is prime 'bucket and spade' territory.
Him Indoors is from South Yorkshire, and knows all the words to Una Paloma Blanca...which came in very handy on our first (and last) brief visit to the Costa del Sol. It's ghastly. Think Atlantic City mixed with Daytona Beach.

There is some gay nightlife in Palma de Mallorca but frankly we found it too naff to bother with. These areas of Spain are not gay hostile at all, but you will find the coastline around Barcelona much more amenable. As well as down the coast from Barcelona to gay-mecca Sitges (see other posts ad nauseam) you will also find nude (straight) beaches further up the coast towards Blanes if that's your thing.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:12 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Any updates on this? I'm hiring a house in Andalucia for August, realise that Costa is "ghastly", but might pop down for a cocktail. Any ideas?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 3:07 am

Torremolinos is the place with the most gay life but even then it's not extensive... the website http://www.gaytorremolinos.com/home.html makes it seem more extensive than it actually is. Torremolinos is not the prettiest of places but I don't think its any worse than any other mass market Spanish tourist resort i've been to.

I'm told that you're better off going to the city of Malaga if you want to see something more akin to the real Spain. There is also a small gay scene there. http://www.gayiberia.com/malaga/home.html

Hope this helps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.