Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

International Mr Leather Weekend, Chicago, Memorial Day Weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!

So is anybody going to this?

I am really tempted.

My MSP part-time bf goes but he and his buds don't go to the events. I think I would want to see the competition.
Old Jan 26, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
Oh Yes

I will be there as usual. If you have never been, you must...it is quite the event. I have never been to the actual competition, but the victory party (at the house of blues again i think) is not to be missed. I also never stay at the actual IML hotel...it is just a bit too much for my tastes. priceline or hotwire always get me good hotels nearby since that is not a very busy conference weekend in chicago. The highlight for me is the exhibition hall...some things you will see nowhere else!
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:34 pm

10,000 guys decked out in leather taking over a Hyatt. Bare ... in chaps on the fancy chairs in the steakhouse. Most of the Hyatt staff being polite to the point of being weird, frankly, in the face of the most unusual. They probably have been sternly reminded of the power of the gay dollar, so they keep their personal feelings tightly bottled up but you can tell they are weirded out.

Talk about a subculture (not to say a counter culture) going mainstream...

Last edited by Droneklax; Jan 26, 2005 at 8:50 pm
Old Jan 26, 2005, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
IML is a fun weekend to be in Chicago. Is it at the Hyatt again this year? I thought it switched back and forth between there and the Palmer House. I have not been to any of the competition events, but the leather market can be lots of fun.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
For us non-US residents... when is Memorial Weekend?
Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:31 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Memorial Day was historically May 30th every year (MegatopLover's birthday ), but became the last Monday in May sometime in the early 1980s. It is the traditional "beginning of summer" for Americans, with the traditional "end of summer" coming on Labor Day weekend, the first Monday in September preceeded by a Sunday. A great many take advantage of the day off to string together extended long weekends or, like me, a week off.

In addition to Chicago's IML, a major GGG event on Memorial Day occurs in Pensacola Beach, Florida. The biggest city on the "Redneck Riviera", Pensacola has(d) miles upon miles pristine beaches, which on recent Memorial Day weekends have been taken over by upwards of 50,000 gays and lesbians. Despite the strong religious and right-wing contingent in North Florida, the power of the gay dollar is immense, and most locals welcome us. Though mostly from the Midwest, South, and Texas, the crowd in P'cola is diverse, ranging from whole families (principally brought by the lesbians) to long-established couples, to muscle marys, to party boys. A New Orleans nightclub owner has organized major parties with nationally known DJ's for the last ten years, which can attract up to 10,000 partygoers.

Thanks to the hurricane last year, Memorial Day weekend in Pensacola is likely to be scaled back substantially this year. The party boys will most likely continue to flock to Disney World for Gay Days on the weekend AFTER Memorial Day, when red shirts in the theme parks signal "out and proud" gays, as if the hand-holding and kissing wouldn't have clued in the hapless who turned up without listening to Disney's warnings.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I will be there! Been for three out of the past five years. Always a blast!
Old Jan 27, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
I'm Booked.....

Booked hotel accommodations....will stay at the Park Hyatt instead, will arrange flight. Will do the Fri-Mon weekend only, though. I believe registration and opening are held on Thurs. Much more happening and fun than the SF Folsom Street Fair!!

Last edited by jkc22; Jan 27, 2005 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Suspended?

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For us non-US residents... when is Memorial Weekend?
Suspended from FT or Suspended from the ceiling?

Praytell.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:05 pm

Programs: UAL, AA
The competition is pretty fun. Part beauty pageant, part cheezie production. It's good to go at least once though it does cut into the disco nap time.

I have to say, IML isn't what it once was. There used to be several good parties that weekend in several different venues, all pretty good. For the last few years every party other than the victory party has been pretty crappy or at least not that busy. I've also noticed more regional leather events advertised, so maybe it's just not THE event anymore...? So if you are coming to town, definitely spend some time at the leather mart - even if you aren't planning to buy as it's quite an experience - and be sure to do the victory party at House of Blues.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Iml 2008

Thinking of going to the International Mr. Leather 2008 Weekend, possibly with a friend of mine. Never been and wondering what to expect.
Is it leather-only or can you wear say camouflage as well? What is a good time to make reservations? Prices at the Hyatt are from $195 right now.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Oct 29, 2007 at 6:35 pm
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:05 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
You can wear just about anything you want; leather, denim, rubber, camouflage, and even as little as possible sometimes (for better or worse )!

The Palmer House always sold out pretty early and late bookers were at an overflow location, but the Hyatt is a much bigger hotel. I wonder if the same will happen there?

Family obligations that weekend prevent me from attending next year, but I would really rather be in Chicago!

Last edited by DavidDTW; Oct 29, 2007 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
NOW would be the time to make reservations! And yes, it is back at the Hyatt this year. I've been the last five years in a row and still have never attended the actual event. I highly recommend staying at the host hotel. It's a great location for exploring Chicago itself if and when you need to "escape" from the leather crowd. Trust me, it can be a little overwhelming for you if it's your first time!
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:29 am

The IML attendees dress two ways. "Daytime" which means regular person clothes to attend the theater, go out to lunch, tour the city--whatever. The IML organization strongly discourages people from leaving the hotel in their leather "drag". At night and inside the hotel, however, it's a different story. Surreal. You'll know you're not in Kansas anymore! (LOL)
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DFWFlyer2
...I've been the last five years in a row and still have never attended the actual event
Why did you go if you did not attend the actual event?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.