Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Any gay life in the Seychelles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:04 am
Original Poster

I will be going to the Seychelles for a week at the end of November. I am aware that this may not be the gay-friendliest of nations.

Any advice on where to go and where not to go? Any hints regarding accommodation, night life, beaches etc. would be much appreciated! Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:37 am
Original Poster

So, with those many replies, can we conclude that the Seychelles is the first state on this planet where there is NO GAY LIFE???

Perhaps I have to rephrase my question then: Any suggestions what to do in such a sorry state?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
good timing

saw the post, meant to return to it, decided to do so this morning...
oh well, you made my search easier...

feel free to email / pm me for more info, but here's the lowdown:
  • no gay life to speak of on any of the islands
  • the people are, while indifferent at first, really wonderful folks... there's a true innocence about them (i generalize of course)
  • stayed in several places and didn't have any problems "bunking" with the S.O.
  • didn't see any spots I felt uncomfortable
  • nightlife is sparse and generally filled with italians, brits and germans, with several other europeans and a few visitors from mauritius

so to answer your question - "What to do?"...

ENJOY THE BEST BEACHES IN THE WORLD and relax. The food ranges from okay to decent. I'm sure you can push both ends of the spectrum if you look hard enough. There is a wide range of accommodations choices.

Get off the main island... enjoy Praslin, la digue and some of the others.

While all that may sound less than stellar, I'm pretty sure you're more than just gay, so you'll probably agree after visiting it's one of the most idyllic and wonderful places on earth.

there's a local song they do in creole with english mixed in that you should hope you don't hear... the tune will stick in your head forever... but the chorus captures the wonderful trap that is this country: "Going back to the Seychelles"

Enjoy
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rpmkwpw
While all that may sound less than stellar, I'm pretty sure you're more than just gay, so you'll probably agree after visiting it's one of the most idyllic and wonderful places on earth.
Thanks a lot for this, rpmkwpw! (BTW: this is a great alias.)

I'm not quite sure if indeed I am more than just gay , but I think I will survive the trip, if only barely. Will probably stick to Mahé, Cerf and Praslin for a start, as time is somewhat limited. And can't wait to enjoy those beaches!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Any recent experiences?

Bumping this thread as I am going to Mahe in July with the BF.

Not looking for gay advice- just any recent experiences. I've found scattered info on FT, but its mostly from honeymooning breeders
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It's been 4 years, and i'm sure a lot has changed for us all, but any recent experience?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I was in the Seychelles back in April with a friend of mine. While we're both gay, we are/were not actually in a relationship, though we did have to share a bed at one hotel and we encountered nothing but warm hospitality at all of the places we stayed. I don't recall there being any gay nightlife, though to be honest, we really didn't search for it.

The Seychelles are truly stunning! If you have the time, get off the main island and make your way to Praslin and/or La Digue. We did find, however, that as the islands got smaller, the beaches became more crowded. Not densely packed, by any means, but certainly there were more people on the La Digue beaches than on some of the more secluded Mahe beaches.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
I used to visit the Seychelles many times, but that was also many years ago.
Even though there is no gay nightlife, there are gays, and not too few....
I knew gay people on Praslin island, amongst them is a hotel owner and he is still living there.
And there are, of course, also gay visitors who come frequently.
You might be successful by various gay dating platforms for getting in contact with them, locals and visitors!

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jan 17, 2014 at 11:19 am Reason: my profile's nickname has a certain "meaning"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.