Quote: I'm staying at the Conrad Tokyo at Shiodome in November. I take it it's a bit far from the gay neighborhood. But are there any gay-friendly places to visit in that general area? It looks like I could take the Oedo metro line to Shinjuku, correct? Which exact station and which exit heads to the gay area from Shinjuku?
I stayed at the Conrad and went to the gay area, it is a commute but not to bad once you get to know the subway lines in my opinion. I went to the gay area from Tokyo Disney and that was a trek especially when I got on the wrong train and found myself commuting into the countryside of Tokyo now knowing the language and no Yen, and after a night of fun !!
dont miss shangrila party @ ageha on Dec26-2009 ,asia's biggest gay party !
Hey Guys- Another hotel you should consider staying at is JAL City Yotsuya.
Not so expensive and easy to get to 2-chome. Maybe about a nice 10-15 minute walk.

It's located right on Shinjuku-dori near Yotsuya sanchome station.
Any suggestions? Going to be in Tokyo Dec 28 - Jan 4.

What about for New Years? I heard it's a "couples holiday" but I'm not coupled, nor straight.
Quote: Any suggestions? Going to be in Tokyo Dec 28 - Jan 4.

What about for New Years? I heard it's a "couples holiday" but I'm not coupled, nor straight.
X-mas in Japan = "couples holiday" or "X-mas cake eating day"
Making final plans for a March 30 trip to Japan; two weeks book-ended by Tokyo and Osaka (with stops in Nikko, Hakone, Kyoto, and Takayama). I’ve done my homework on the web (FlyerTalk, Utopia, etc.) but the bar/sauna info seems dated. Can anyone provide current suggestions for nightlife in Tokyo? Think L’Impact in Paris or Laboratory in Berlin. Private messages welcome. Thanks.
Will you be in Tokyo on the weekend? That is the best time to go out to meet the locals. However, if you prefer a quiet night or are only here during the week you should go to Rehab Lounge or Advocates Cafe.
Thanks for the advice. We'll be in Tokyo from Wednesday to Tuesday. Monday will be spent in Nikko.

Quote: Will you be in Tokyo on the weekend? That is the best time to go out to meet the locals. However, if you prefer a quiet night or are only here during the week you should go to Rehab Lounge or Advocates Cafe.
shinjuku baths for a younger guy
anyone got any info for a younger guy wanting to check-out a bathhouse (probably the shinjuku 24 one, unless anyone REALLY doesn't recommend it) in the next couple of weeks? ie what day of the week is best, best time to go etc. also, as this is being kept on the down low, would a saturday afternoon/early evening have many people there?
thanks!!
xx
Welcome to FlyerTalk, aussie_boi!

Yes, I've venture that 24 Kaikan in Shinjuku east is what you're looking for. By reputation, it has the youngest, most in-shape, and most foreigner-friendly crowd among all the 24 Kaikan's in Tokyo. Going on the early side is probably a good idea. Although it stays open around the clock (I think), the subways don't, so you want to be out by 11:30 pm or so. As things get later, you'll find more and more of the crowd upstairs sleeping (some guys even use it as sort of a hotel when visiting Tokyo). I have no idea how early is "too early."
Thanks, megatoplover, the information about time of day and suitability of venue was exactly what I was looking for. Is anyone else able to share their view on 24 Kaikan Shinjuku, regarding anything at all?
Actually, I prefer the 24 Kaikan in Ueno. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I've often found the crowds at the Kaikan in Shinjuku a little strange, whereas the Ueno patrons seem more down to earth. I've only been to the Shinjuku Kaikan in the evening, but Ueno usually has ample crowds late afternoons on weekends.
delete this post
HX
If you are built have short hair and preferably some facial hair and are into 20-40 year old built japanese ( G men type), you can get admitted to HX hattenba, which is just over the street from 2-chome.

I have lots of fun there always
Thanks for all the tips on this thread.
I will be in Tokyo in about 10 days, either the 16th-19th or 18th-21st. Staying at the Park Hyatt (thanks, NBT!)
Any updates other than what's already here?
Are there any "nights" that are particularly popular at certain bars or clubs or saunas?
I lived for 6 years in Japan, so I can communicate, etc--but it's good to know more info before I arrive!
Thanks.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11