Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quarantine
Speaking of NYC -- I'll be there in the summer. What's a good bar / club to go to?
Well, what do you get into? There's a little of something for everyone.

I've been to most of them. Do you like 'classy', or sleazy or Cheers, or dance club?

If I had to pick just one:

Probably The Hangar on Christopher - on Sunday afternoon - they have a beer blast and the great view right on Christopher - you look down, as if from a pedestal, on pedestrians and in the summer, there are lots of people walking by. It's skewed towards a minority clientele, but I really like the place - the music, the atmosphere, the location, drinks are cheap.

Alternatively, Gym on 8th has a terrific smoking section in front - again, the view to the Avenue is unbeatable but you do have to be able to tolerate cigarette smoke, and the drinks aren't so cheap except during happy hour. Skews towards a more upscale and sporty crowd. Boxers and Boxers II in Hells Kitchen are very much like Gym, except a little more fun, IMO.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by anonplz
Well, what do you get into? There's a little of something for everyone.

I've been to most of them. Do you like 'classy', or sleazy or Cheers, or dance club?

If I had to pick just one:

Probably The Hangar on Christopher - on Sunday afternoon - they have a beer blast and the great view right on Christopher - you look down, as if from a pedestal, on pedestrians and in the summer, there are lots of people walking by. It's skewed towards a minority clientele, but I really like the place - the music, the atmosphere, the location, drinks are cheap.

Alternatively, Gym on 8th has a terrific smoking section in front - again, the view to the Avenue is unbeatable but you do have to be able to tolerate cigarette smoke, and the drinks aren't so cheap except during happy hour. Skews towards a more upscale and sporty crowd. Boxers and Boxers II in Hells Kitchen are very much like Gym, except a little more fun, IMO.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check 'em out!

I prefer 'classy' and quiet, but don't mind visiting a sleazy one every once in a while. I can't stand the smell of cigarette unfortunately -- gives me a bad cough -- so I might have to skip Gym on 8th.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
If you're in Berlin be sure to check out The Sharon Stonewall behind Hacksher Markt. It's a great low key place that you can have a lot of fun in. Staff is multi-national (it's owned by an Aussie woman) and super friendly.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:38 am

Lab.oratory in Berlin
Church in Amsterdam
Most fun I've ever had
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Last edited by anonplz; Nov 3, 2013 at 7:55 am
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by anonplz
Did you have a good pray?
I prayed non-stop!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: Le Club Accor: Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott/SPG: Gold, AMEX Platinum
Can't really pinpoint a favorite since as it's been mentioned "seen one seen them all" but I will share my most awkward. It was actually a couple weeks ago in Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria. The place was called "The Cellar" if that isn't reason enough for you to turn around already I'm guessing the couple of drinks I'd already had led me to have a different perception. My boyfriend being naive as he was insisted we check it out so reluctantly in I went. When we reached the bouncer and were handed two bags and told to put our clothes in them and we were allowed to keep our underwear if we wanted is when I turned around and started to walk back the way I came. But no, my other half insisted. I will not share any more of what went on, but just believe me it was awkward enough by any ones standards.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Recently visited 57 on Albany, in Durban. Found by my bf by accident, we went there every night for rest of our stay.

Brilliant weekend nights, great music and dancing as well as packed. Friendly crowd.
Weekday nights.. Well, empty is being kind.

As the only non person of colour, i felt quite happy there. Very welcomed.
Its just a pity that other South Africans will not go there. Its safe, right next door to a major hotel... Ok well just behind the entrance.

Did i mention some really really hot guys!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
For different reasons, Club Church in Amsterdam and Connections Nightclub in Perth (the Aussie one) are my two favourites.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Spent NYE and a few nights in Venice Beach and Roosterfish on Abbot Kinney was a decent little surf/dive gay bar in that area. Was nice to not have to schlep to WeHo.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:08 am

Bangkok

In Thailand the Telephone Bar has survived for decades! A happy mixture of Hustlers, locals and Farang. Smart bar tenders and waiters give great service.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA
Believe it or not, my favorite bar is F Bar in Houston, TX. Always friendly guys there. It isn't in the greatest area though.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Twist in Miami Beach (South Beach) FL is always memorable. 4 different spaces/rooms, each with different music/ambience, plus the outdoor cabana. Oh -- as of the last visit there, never a cover charge!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by egtravel
Since I'm from Long Beach CA, I have to mention RIPPLES...not a great bar, but the sunsets on the ocean are fabulous during a summer Sunday Beer Bust!!

LGB - Ripples
LAX - Tempo, The Abbey, Mother Lode
SFO - Badlands
SAN - Bourbon Street, Rich's
NYC - Therapy, XL, Posh
CHI - Sidetrack, Roscoes
PHL - Woody's
PVR - Paco Paco, Los Balcones, Anthropology (strippers!)
RIO - Le Boy ^

And I'm sure there are more I can't remember the names of right now (I was in FRA, MUC and VIE last December at some great places, but the names escape me at the moment!)..I'll have to check my matchbooks at home!
Le Boy in RIO used to be my favorite, too bad it closed.
One of the reasons I visited RIO seven times :-)
The place was awesome and always packed during my first several visits 2001-2005. In 2014-2015 the place was still good on weekends, but not as busy. Then last summer I was disappointed to go there and find the doors closed. Ended up going to La Cueva instead, which is not even close. Nothing that good anymore in the Copacabana/Ipanema area anymore.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
My current favorites:
MIA - Twist
BCN - Metro Disco

Former favorites that closed:
GIG - Le Boy
YUL Le Parking
NYC - Splash

Others I like:
YUL - Le Stud
TXL - Tom's
CDG - Le Depot
MAD - Hot & Strong Center

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.