Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:11 pm

In Dc

Is Chaos still in DC? I used to go there with a friend for the Drag King Shows, and she is coming into town shortly and we might go there for nostalgia. Also I like Perry's for Sunday Brunch.

WASfireman
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Originally Posted by WASfireman
Is Chaos still in DC? I used to go there with a friend for the Drag King Shows, and she is coming into town shortly and we might go there for nostalgia. Also I like Perry's for Sunday Brunch.
Yes it is! And popular as ever. Lots of theme nights (drag bingo, latin night, etc.) though I haven't been to the drag king shows. The trio of JR's/Chaos/Cobalt still rules 17th ST

Lots of pretty boys are out at Lauriol Plaza for Sunday Brunch on a nice day (roofdeck and outside patio). That's a great place in addition to Perry's.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:56 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
I dunno about Perry's. Last couple times we went there for brunch ours was the only table without straight women at it. Drag is so mainstream in places like DC now that it's not even interesting anymore. Perry's has become a destination from the 'burbs for straight people who are proud of themselves for being liberal enough to go there. Nothing wrong with straight people, of course, and that sort of acceptance is what we've been fighting for, but I do sometimes miss having a gay ghetto.

David

Last edited by IndyDavid; Jul 26, 2004 at 5:58 pm Reason: word choice
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:43 pm

The scary gay bar in Trastevere in Rome is probably "Skyline" kinda behind il Termini, and totally off the beaten path. I had a freaky Sunday night there also, trying to find my way to Joe's Pub, THE place in that neighborhood. As for Testaccio, it is all about Gay Village. Once you find it, and it is a way out below the Colosseo, it is a great evening, especially considering it is outdoors and that Rome heat can get pretty brutal during the day. Perfect way to wind down after touring all day!!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:50 pm

Programs: UAL, AA
I would nominate Cocktail in Chicago if it were five or six years ago. They made great Comsos and Long Island Ice Teas from scratch - they actually tasted like tea but went straight to your head! Some of the same bartenders are still there, but the place just isn't the same. Prices are through the roof and it's pretty empty.

Sidetrack (Chicago) is in a league of its own
JR's in Dallas
Barracuda (NY) was fun, but it was a while ago
Hula's as others have said

Does DJ Station in BKK count as a "bar"? It's more of a disco, but I always have a good time there. The rent boys on the second floor can be really annoying, but the music is great, the shows are wonderful. Again, it's been a few years...
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Thumbs up Best DC Bar?

Originally Posted by blueDC
Yes it is! And popular as ever. Lots of theme nights (drag bingo, latin night, etc.) though I haven't been to the drag king shows. The trio of JR's/Chaos/Cobalt still rules 17th ST

Lots of pretty boys are out at Lauriol Plaza for Sunday Brunch on a nice day (roofdeck and outside patio). That's a great place in addition to Perry's.
Let me add that if you are in DC on a Sunday night after 9 PM, there is nothing quite as nice as the Lizard Lounge. On other nights, I'll second the nomination of Cobalt!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDinaryGuy
I would nominate Cocktail in Chicago if it were five or six years ago. They made great Comsos and Long Island Ice Teas from scratch - they actually tasted like tea but went straight to your head! Some of the same bartenders are still there, but the place just isn't the same. Prices are through the roof and it's pretty empty.
Really? I'm surprised about that. Haven't been back to Chicago for a while - will have to check it out. When I was there last, I met Jeff Stryker (that was when he was doing his schtick/play there).
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:24 am

Woodward bar Detroit?

Years ago (30) I used to work for the CDC in Detroit and my work took me into a number of bars on a regular basis. The Woodward was a gay bar that really stands out in my mind. May have been one of the friendliest bars (gay or straight) that I have ever been in. Does anyone know if this Detroit institution is still there...and still thriving?

Thanks
Doc
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
My favorites: SF Badlands (SF), the stud on Tuesday for Trannyshack (SF), Twin Peaks (SF) (the glass coffin - and I am under 30 ), G.A.Y (LHR) at the Astoria (I think), and some dance club upstairs/downstairs combo in Sydney (dance act with go-go boys downstairs and dance floor upstairs).

Least favorite bars: The Cafe in SF, the after dark (Fort Wayne, IN), and the Odyssey (Odd-n-Nasty) in Winston-Salem.

Chad
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:36 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
April, SoHo, Eagle, Montmartre, Cockring and Reality in Amsterdam;
DTM (Don't Tell Mama) in Helsinki;
Heaven in London;
Fresh in Taipei;
Works in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 1:44 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
For me they have to be:
Monster in NY - I'm far to untrendy for my own good!
Bar D'o in NY - Such a good atmosphere on Saturday night.
Slack Alice in Totonto - I guess its still there, just have fond memories.
New York New York in Manchester - grubby, camp pop and exactly the same as when I first went on the scene in 94
The New Union in Manchester - For all the same reasons!

and I have a special soft spot for:
The Flying Handbag in Blackpool - I'm just so old skool....

Dean
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:29 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 3recondoc
Years ago (30) I used to work for the CDC in Detroit and my work took me into a number of bars on a regular basis. The Woodward was a gay bar that really stands out in my mind. May have been one of the friendliest bars (gay or straight) that I have ever been in. Does anyone know if this Detroit institution is still there...and still thriving?

Thanks
Doc
The Woodward is still where it always has been. I was only in there once a few years ago and it was moderately busy. I think it is still good for happy hour and draws a neighborhood crowd. The neighborhood has changed quite a bit recently.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:56 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Arrow

Chaos... Cobalt... Lizard Lounge--- bring back memories of the old neighborhood. I had the fortune to live 2 doors down from Cobalt!

Chaos has Latin night on Thurs-- but "International" Night Fridays for lack of another Latin bar. Cool spot, but the music and crowd did get old.

My all time favorite spot?? Circus in LA on Friday nights for Latin and house music. Absolutely out of this world! 3 dance floors, taco stand and plenty of eye candy. Worth the cross country trip from DC after work on Friday.

.... or any event put on by Club Papi in LA, SD, Houston, or the Bay area.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by lonman
The scary gay bar in Trastevere in Rome is probably "Skyline" kinda behind il Termini, and totally off the beaten path. I had a freaky Sunday night there also, trying to find my way to Joe's Pub, THE place in that neighborhood. As for Testaccio, it is all about Gay Village. Once you find it, and it is a way out below the Colosseo, it is a great evening, especially considering it is outdoors and that Rome heat can get pretty brutal during the day. Perfect way to wind down after touring all day!!
The talk of these bars in Rome reminds me of my last trip in September. I have to say it was a bit challenging to say the least to find the gay scene.

I do remember going first to this place called Side where we met a very friendly bartender and his very jealous boyfriend. It was a small place, very Lower East Side both in decor and clientele. It was a slow night too, or maybe we were just early. Well, we stayed for a couple of drinks while the bartender gave us all sorts of suggestions, and even insisted that next time we came back to rome, that we stay with him (which didn't exactly please his boyfriend! )

The next two nights we went to Alibi in the Trastevere area. The first night was a slow night all gay ( I think it was a thursday?). We went back on Friday night at the urging of the door staff, and discovered it to be almost all straight with bad fraternity-party mix in the basement, house on the main floor, and latin/salsa on the roof. The roof was where we spent most of our time as it was such a beautiful evening.

Oh, and to keep things on topic...favorite clubs/bars:

Still thinking on the list but one that pops to mind right away, The Abbey in WeHo gets top marks in my book. Always make it a point to go there whenever I'm in town.

Last edited by RChavez; Jul 30, 2004 at 4:46 pm Reason: Added reference to Abbey.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 3:40 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
..and "the Dip"

Can't tell you how many trips to "the W" friends and I made, driving all the way in from Rochester Michigan, when we were on campus at Oakland U.
When last in Detroit, a very good 10 years ago, I inquired about, but, carless, did not attempt to visit, old stamping grounds. My contacts made it clear they wouldn't NOW risk their lives to be in the areas we used to frequent after dark, THEN.
Also 'way back when, just off Wayne State U campus was the "Gay Nineties", ostensibly just another harmless college bar. Yeah, right--and throughout the week, mostly straight, but mostly otherwise on weekends, complete with occasiosnal drag show IIRC.
But if you know the "W", every bit as popular and friendly as any then available, and perhaps 5 minutes' drive distant, was "The Diplomat." Likely
my Detroit area friends would have the same comment about the inner city, but I mention the Dip for old times' sake. And since I'm only 17 now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.