Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

What Do Men (gay FTers) Find Romantic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Was cleaning up my inbox this afternoon and come across an articles that I have saved... which instantly reminded me of the thread on finding a FT-friendly BF.

So how do u make a gay FTer feel loved and treasured in a romantic way???

Love to have your inputs and compile a top-10 list... Which might come in handy some day... Maybe, to be handed out as a Maintenance Manual of a FTer before someone signs the contract...

For your reference here is the article,

What Do Men Find Romantic?
By Sara Eckel

1. Compliments. The quickest path to a man's heart is through his ego. "The other day, my lady told me she thought I was sexy. That was so cool! I'd never heard that before and it blew me away!" says a schoolteacher from Chicago. A political consultant from Washington, D.C. agrees: "The most romantic thing in the world is for you to be in awe of your man's skills -- whether it's his ability to make people laugh, perform at sports, fix things, or retrieve and display esoteric knowledge. Let him wow you," he says.

2. Dark chocolate. "Milk chocolate is for kids. Dark chocolate is for lovers," says Weinstein, who explains that dark chocolate has a higher percentage of cocoa, which means it has more phenylethylamine, a chemical that mimics the feeling you have when you're in love.

3. Hard-to-find gifts. Is his college sweatshirt so faded you can't decipher the name of his alma mater? Is he mourning the loss of a rare comic book that his mother threw away when he left home? Does he collect antique hood ornaments? Webb says that a gift that requires some effort is sure to be a big hit with your guy. "Men and women tend to express love differently. Women are usually the more nurturing types and tend to think of romance in terms of 'soft touches' while men express love in more practical ways," says Webb.

4. You, in his clothes. "Come to the dinner table wearing nothing but his button-down dress shirt. Now that's romance!" says an artist from Boston.

5. Funny movies. "A lot of people say that shared values or goals are what make a relationship work," says Weinstein. "But to me it's a shared sense of humor. If you like the Marx Brothers and your date doesn't, then it's simply not going to work," he says. "When you can find someone to laugh with, then you know you're really connecting."

6. A great memory. A picture really does paint a thousand words -- especially if it's of the two of you tanned and glowing at a beachside resort. "I went to my girlfriend's office and saw that she had a picture of us on vacation in Cancun," says a Seattle construction worker. "Little things like that just make you feel great."

7. An old-fashioned night on the town. A publisher in New York says that he isn't a huge romantic, but he admits that the rotating dance floor at the Rainbow Room makes him pretty gooey. "You're surrounded by well-dressed couples of all ages who know how to dance. This gives the effect of being in a romantic movie about old New York. Plus, it's a little disorienting with all that spinning around, which puts you in a dreamlike state," he says.

8. Tall buildings. Because in general guys just like big stuff. But also because taking in such a huge view can put life into perspective. "The tremendous view of the city with all its lights is not only awesome in its own right, but accentuates the essential smallness of the individual person," says a Chicago attorney. "Thus humbled, it is most comforting to realize, at that instant, you're not alone in the world."

9. Surprise intimacy. Whether it's an unexpected kiss or an afternoon jaunt to the bedroom, men swoon when women say "Come hither." "We like surprises -- like when you initiate sex at odd times, or rent a room in the middle of the day. We also like beaches, bed-and-breakfasts, and when you squeeze our thigh at a snooty dinner party. Oh, and baths. We like bubble baths," says a writer from New York.

10. P.S. I love you. They may not always admit it, but many men report that they love getting affectionate little notes. "I particularly like finding a note in my suitcase when unpacking on a business trip," says an executive from Dallas. Weinstein agrees. He loves getting a surprise note or email with an affectionate message, and says that a "p.s." increases the charm. "There's something about the p.s. that people respond to. It reminds us of when we were at camp and our mom wrote. P.S. I love you, or the note our high-school sweetheart stuffed into our locker."
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
an op-up
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Champagne!

Mr. silverthief2 and I had a bottle last night after he finished his exams and was officially halfway done with law school.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Trips to new cities that have:
a) Luxury accomodation
b) Tall buildings
c) Great romantic restaurants

Old Dec 15, 2007, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Just a masculine, football watching, beer drinking man.........all 3 not found in the gay world........but just the avg joe works for me over the obnoxious gucci queens

Last edited by USFreak; Dec 15, 2007 at 7:14 am Reason: i cursed and edited as needed
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFreak
Just a masculine, football watching, beer drinking man.........all 3 not found in the gay world........but just the avg joe works for me over the obnoxious gucci queens
Hmmm, I've seen a quite a few masculine, football watching and beer drinking gay men... On the other hand, I've yet to meet any gucci queens...

As a matter of fact, whenever I choose to watch ESPN over LOGO, Bravo, HGTV or Food Network, my friends would start questioning my orientation... lol
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Something trivial but i think is really sweet...

Was leaving LAX on a late nite flight to head back to the east coast... While getting close to the airport, I told my friend that he can just drop me off by the curbside so he doesn't have to park his car in the garage... He replied, "nope, I can't do it"... I'm glad he didn't... Or I would be fuming mad!!! LOL... It felt great to get a big hug before heading to the gate... And be able to turn around, see a smiling face and him standing there and waving at u... Walk a few steps more and turn around and get another big hug...

So as Rule #1, if a FTer says u can drop him off by the curbside, never never do it...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
A snuzzle and a snog in the wumpus woom!
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by justforfun
an op-up
An OP UG with a hot FA working the F section with special attention coming my way
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Platinum
A new piece of Hartmann luggage...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:33 pm

Coming home from a long day @ work and my then bf not-so-good-cook cooked me the simplest meal (I believe it was spaghetti meal balls) and gave me a back rub.

The memory stays although the relationship later on went sour...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by SingaPaul
So as Rule #1, if a FTer says u can drop him off by the curbside, never never do it...
What I find even more romantic is when he's waiting for you at the other side of security after you've gotten off the plane. Nothing beats that big hug and a kiss after a long flight. Well...almost nothing...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCAKen
Nothing beats that big hug and a kiss after a long flight.
It is ok to do that in public??? I usually do the kiss before getting out of the car... There is only one time i did it while out of the car... I felt bad for the retired couples park right behind us at that time... And come to think of it, i wasn't even sure if there were kids in those cars... Maybe it is just me... it just doesn't seem quite right to do that infront of kids or where kids could see...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by silverthief2
Champagne!
Another vote for champers!

*hic*
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
It is ok to do that in public???
Of course it's ok to do that in public.

As for the retired people...they can deal with it. Old dogs may not be able to learn new trick that require physical agility, but if they try hard enough I'm sure they can learn basic respect for people who are different from them.

As for the kids, let me ask you this question:
Would you feel uncomfortable kissing a woman in front of kids?
If so, then by all mean refrain from kissing your partner in front of them too. If it's not kissing itself you find objectionable, then I'm not sure why you would have a problem doing it in front of kids

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.