Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires - MERGED THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires - MERGED THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:24 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by catwood
Hello,

your friendly moderator lives in bs as right now. All clubs recently i've noticed haven't been as busy, but here are my recommendations:

Thursday: Glam
Friday: Alsina/Palacio, Sub Club, Amerika
Saturday: Glam, Amerika (skip glam, but you could go)
Sunday: Alsian/Palacio, Amerika

you can get good strong drinks at Sitges anytime, it's pretty fun. There's also a night called Plop that i haven't been to in san telmo which is supposed to be fun.

Chris
In years gone by, there was many an evening when I could be found in Palacio with my best girlfriend performing a Kylie pose / pretending to be catwalk models .... those were the days Clearly it was all done in a drunken haze

And Amerika - have not been there in a few years but my word, the d*rk room is the size of a bloody football pitch - well at least that is what I have been told
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by pdsuk
In years gone by, there was many an evening when I could be found in Palacio with my best girlfriend performing a Kylie pose / pretending to be catwalk models .... those were the days Clearly it was all done in a drunken haze

And Amerika - have not been there in a few years but my word, the d*rk room is the size of a bloody football pitch - well at least that is what I have been told
As someone that is well past his 20s (be careful what you are thinking, MegatopLover), I had a great time at Palacio. I hope that it is just as fun in it current format/name.

I went to Amerika but how did I miss the backroom?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:02 am
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
And don't bother going anywhere before at least 1am.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by adr
And don't bother going anywhere before at least 1am.
Even that is bit early.

So they have now reopened the Amerika? When I was in BA twice last year both of the times the Amerika was temporarily closed.

IMHO it is a bid sad that there isn't much going on in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Sao Paulo is rocking every day of the week.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Only when you are in town
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:51 am
adr

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, IC RA
Originally Posted by holtju2
Even that is bit early.
Tell me about it. Thank god for jet-lag.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:03 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by ecaarch
As someone that is well past his 20s (be careful what you are thinking, MegatopLover), I had a great time at Palacio. I hope that it is just as fun in it current format/name.
It is. And I'm really well past my twenties. People in BsAs are so friendly. There are so many beautiful people there that being beautiful is no special asset. Hence, not looking like a model is no great liability. I can't wait to go back. I had fun a Sitges on a Wednesday night. Otherwise, Bulness Class was my favorite bar in Palermo. Alsina is not to be missed on a Friday night, though I have to say that the friend I was traveling with would probably not agree. He much preferred Contramano which I thought was one of the trashiest bars I have ever been in. Oh well. Different strokes.... Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
What was contramano like? i literally live across the street from it and have never been in it.

Amerika is open full swing. I've had fun recently on Saturdays and Sundays. Palacio was closed last weekend and i'm not sure why.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, DL former Gold, AA, SPG, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by catwood
What was contramano like? i literally live across the street from it and have never been in it.
Contramano varies a lot from night to night depending on what is happening at other clubs, but it is very high on taxi boys and their clientele in general.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Seeksreal
Contramano varies a lot from night to night depending on what is happening at other clubs, but it is very high on taxi boys and their clientele in general.
Completely agree - although I did have a good night the last time I was there (again a few years back).

Mind you, I was completely legless at the time so could have been anywhere for all I knew - gotta love that Quilmes !!
Old Feb 28, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by Seeksreal
This is pretty much my opinion, plus it is downstairs in a basement and I felt very claustrophobic. It seemed like a firetrap to me. But, as I said, my friend liked it.

I don't like to be in tight spaces with lots of handsy, aggressive people.
I was reminded of the tenacity of the wandering merchants on Mexico beaches, except trinkets and blankets were not what was being sold at Contramano.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Hilton Honours, Starwood, VIA Preference
Question Fabulous studio apartments - 3 months in Buenos Aires

Some great information in this thread folks...merci beaucoup. I am planning a solo three month trip to Argentina (YUL - EZE) from January to April 2008. I want to rent a furnished apartment in Buenos Aires for the duration of my stay. Thinking of Recoleta or Palermo areas. A couple of people have mentioned Friendly Apartments...and they are actually advertised on a gay Buenos Aires site.....but the server is always down , so I can't access their list of apartments. If anyone has some up-to-date info or references to agents or apartments in interesting areas of Buenos Aires, I would appreciate a heads-up. I can pay around 1000$ US per month. A good location (not ultra-noisy), a comfortable bed, WiFi or Internet connection and a balcony and I will be as happy as a clam.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Hilton Honours, Starwood, VIA Preference
Friendly apartments website

Hi folks,
Just thought I would mention that the Friendly Apartments site is working now....must have been a minor glitch. Anyway, I am still looking for apartment info for my upcoming 3 month Buenos Aires trip. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
just got back from 8 days in BsAs, first night at the Design Suites in Recoleta, but had to move from there due to AC not working, and LOUD construction next door that made sleeping impossible. Moved to the Sheraton in Retiro, which we loved. Easy walking distance to Recoleta and all the restaurants in Puerto Madero. Lots of flight crews stay at the Sheraton, so some good people watching and a decent pool and gym. Would definitely do the Sheraton again.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
Originally Posted by excentrus
Some great information in this thread folks...merci beaucoup. I am planning a solo three month trip to Argentina (YUL - EZE) from January to April 2008. I want to rent a furnished apartment in Buenos Aires for the duration of my stay. Thinking of Recoleta or Palermo areas. A couple of people have mentioned Friendly Apartments...and they are actually advertised on a gay Buenos Aires site.....but the server is always down , so I can't access their list of apartments. If anyone has some up-to-date info or references to agents or apartments in interesting areas of Buenos Aires, I would appreciate a heads-up. I can pay around 1000$ US per month. A good location (not ultra-noisy), a comfortable bed, WiFi or Internet connection and a balcony and I will be as happy as a clam.
I don't know who you used, but we used ApartmentsBA. I have to say I was less than impressed with their ability to get anything done on a schedule even remotely close to reality, and even got that same comment from a local that was running something that interfaced between us and them.

Once we got into the apartment everything was nice and fine but dealing with them for arrival (they were over an hour late to meet us and let us in after our overnight flight and all the arrangements we put together in advance they agreed to) and paperwork (that was wrong and had to be reprinted) was quite a pain and took several hours more than it should have.

I'd probably use them again if I couldn't find another acceptable alternative, but that experience left all of us with a bad taste such that we'd look somewhere else first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.