Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Rio - Carnival - Recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2002, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3 *G

A friend and myself have booked flights to Rio for the Carnival in the New Year (I've treated myself using United miles to fly 1st class on Varig from London!).

We want to stay in the Ipanema area - any hotel recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Richard
Old Oct 14, 2002, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
RESERVE NOW!!!

A good general interest site for Rio (specific link is for the hotels section):

http://ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/home.htm

Maybe you could tell us more: budget, etc? Everything is MUCH more expensive during Carnival.

A nice alternative to hotels are self-catering flats. They tend to be roomier, have kitchens, and can often be very good value for money (though perhaps not as much so at Carnival).

I have done this three times at two different properties in the Ipanema neighborhood and it worked out quite well. Breakfast and daily housecleaning are usually included in the prices.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Sorry, I forgot to mention their "sister" web site which is gay-specific:

http://riogayguide.com/
Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3 *G
Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate that things do get a bit expensive during carnival time - so looking for a 3 star type hotel.

I'll take a look at the web site.

Richard
Old Oct 14, 2002, 10:50 am

Though not 3 star... If anyone is looking for a great Bed and Breakfast in Rio, try out "O Veleiro". Though it is not marketed as a gay B & B and most of the people who stay there are straight, the owners are gay and will be able to tell you the best places to go and what's happening.

My friend and I stayed there during Carnival and had a great time. We drank caparinas and watched the Samba school team scores.

The atmosphere is budget and homey. You have use of the kitchen and living room. Just a short and cheap taxi ride to the popular areas.... or a nice stroll. Lots of travelers from europe.

Again, not a gay B and B but a great place to stay if you have never been to Rio.

http://www.homestead.com/bbveleiro/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.