Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Puerto Vallarta - how is Pride and how to stay?

Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking of doing Puerto Vallarta with a friend next year, and we were thinking about Memorial Day Weekend in the US, which happens to be Pride weekend down in PV. Thoughts on it? My preference would be if the gay events/bars then are busy rather than packed and also want to avoid a total circuit party. As a comparison, I did Sitges for Carnival a couple years ago and really enjoyed the parade and partying without the craziness that some bigger events can draw.

Also, what type of accommodations would people recommend? I see there is a Hyatt AI near Los Muertos beach, which could be nice but not sure if an AI is necessary or good for that weekend. If a hotel, is there much benefit to staying at the gay hotels like Hotel Mercurio/Casa Cupula over regular hotels in the area?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

While I can't tell you about what pride is like in PV I can tell you a bit about the Hyatt. 3 gay couples including my husband and I stayed there last year. You can find my review in post number #215 here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

It is fine.... not a gay scene at all...in fact that time of year will probably just be Mexican nationals and their family. The hotel sits on the most beautiful beach in PV but unfortunately has some of the worst food. ( at least it was a year ago) To me that would be a deal breaker. It also requires a cab ride into town.

Try looking at the Villa Premier. It gets good reviews..it is within walking distance of town... not a big gay scene which the gay hotels at that time will be over the top...but some might like that.

You might try googling Gay PV..... I know there are some websites catering to gay tourism in Mexico

Just my two pesos.....
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

I think you responded to my other comment in the Hyatt forum as well, also took a look at your review. Thanks x2! ^^

It's funny, searching the Ziva's Tripadvisor reviews for 'food' gives such a polarizing difference between people's opinions. It seems to be considered eitheramazing or pure dreck, even after skipping past those with only one review.

I guess my biggest concern with the Hyatt or getting an apartment would the FOMO* of not being somewhere meeting other gays, finding out about any lesser-known events, etc.

*Fear of Missing Out
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I think you responded to my other comment in the Hyatt forum as well, also took a look at your review. Thanks x2! ^^

It's funny, searching the Ziva's Tripadvisor reviews for 'food' gives such a polarizing difference between people's opinions. It seems to be considered eitheramazing or pure dreck, even after skipping past those with only one review.

I guess my biggest concern with the Hyatt or getting an apartment would the FOMO* of not being somewhere meeting other gays, finding out about any lesser-known events, etc.

*Fear of Missing Out
I found the disparity of food reviews surprising too. If you went there I think you would see why.... a lot of 20-30 somethings drinking and partying at the bar where to be honest food does not appear to be a priority in their happiness. I think the bad food reviews come from people more my age (50- 60) who are looking for more of a quiet, relaxing read a book beach vacation and we live from meal to meal.

The location of the Hyatt is not ideal for "FOMO". You need a place within walking distance of the old town.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:28 pm

I have been to Pride in PVR a couple of times. The bars do get crowded that weekend (mostly folks from the west coast in for the three day weekend). The festival itself is not that large, PVR is a pretty small town after all. They have a short parade which is fun and a "festival" in the main park afterwards. It's not much, but everyone heads off to the clubs afterwards.

There's a couple of typical "circuit party" type events at some of the beach clubs across the weekend.

May is the end of high season, so you could probably find some nice deals on local hotels in the Romantic Zone. I would highly recommend staying away from AI's since PVR has some really great restaurants and very walkable.

Casa Cupula is a 5 star gay resort and you'll be treated well there, very pricey for Mexico, but a bargain by US standards. There's also half a dozen brand new "hotel condos" that have been built in the last year that are much nice than the local hotels in the area, The "V" chain is one I can think of.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Any pick-up places in Puerto Vallarta?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Any pick-up places in Puerto Vallarta?
Really dangerous. I know several people who have " picked-up" people in Mexico only to be beaten and robbed once they got back to their rooms or house. Most often with accomplices who join them later. I hope you are a very good judge of character if you proceed with such behavior in a foreign country.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.