Wiki Posts
Search

New York

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
New York

I'll probably be heading to NYC in early December for a week and was after some suggestions for bars/clubs to go to as I've only ever done overnight transits through the city. I'm mid-twenties and usually prefer venues that are less twinky, more leather/bear-y. Are there any gay clubs that play house/techno music or something similar?

I've passed through NYC 3 times before but only on overnight transits so I'm looking forwards to actually exploring the city properly and checking out the nightlife as well.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by perthflyer
I'll probably be heading to NYC in early December for a week and was after some suggestions for bars/clubs to go to as I've only ever done overnight transits through the city. I'm mid-twenties and usually prefer venues that are less twinky, more leather/bear-y. Are there any gay clubs that play house/techno music or something similar?

I've passed through NYC 3 times before but only on overnight transits so I'm looking forwards to actually exploring the city properly and checking out the nightlife as well.
There is a cluster of gay bars in Hell's Kitchen, in between 8th Ave and 10th Ave and W46thst and W53rdST, closest metro station is 50thst for lines A,C & E.
They are all very close to each other so you can check them all out by yourself. It seems to me that THIS is most popular gay area nowadays.

Chelsa, the Village and the East Village still have some "legacy" gay bars (G lounge, the Cock, Phoenix, etc) that you may want to check out if you have some time.

The only remaining leather oriented bar is the EAGLE on W 28th St between 10th and 11th Ave.

In general, there aren't any big box gay dance clubs anymore and all you will get is a small dance floor in some of the bars.
IMO, nowadays NY offers more of a vanilla gay experience. NY is an amazing city to which I go again and again, don't get me wrong, but it is not what it used to be in terms of gay nightlife.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Some good info above.

Other suggestions:
- The Phoenix (LES). Cute crowd but less attitude than HK
- Barrage (HK). This might be up the OP's alley; kind of a beary/cub crowd with a rougher look and feel, but a nice spot for good drinks in Hell's Kitchen.

Dance Clubs:
NYC is picking up a little in terms of clubs. There are a few monthly/weekly parties.
- Brut: This is a leather, dance night with good music that attracts a mix of people. It's not all leather as you'll get the club kids coming, but it's a good mix and it's friendly.
- VERS @ Space Ibiza: Essentially replaces the old Stage48. It's clubby and for muscle boys.
- Horsemeat Disco (Brooklyn): Check if it's on while you're there; it's a good club with a focus on good music.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I'm staying on West 44th between 6th and 7th so Hell's Kitchen is conveniently just around the corner

Brut sounds exactly like my type of club night - very similar to a monthly leather night here in Glasgow that I go to but alas, I'm in NYC 7/12-13/12 and it's not on during that time. Definitely will check out Eagle a few times though!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Another option (surprised no one mentioned it) for a bear-ish bar is Rockbar. It's a dive bar that often has live music. It's on Christopher St. very far west - almost at the river.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Another option (surprised no one mentioned it) for a bear-ish bar is Rockbar. It's a dive bar that often has live music. It's on Christopher St. very far west - almost at the river.
Cheers mate, I'll certainly be heading there to check it out!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Just got to Eagle and I must say this is very much my type of bar. Especially for the Wednesday theme!
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Eagle is reliably good (especially the music). It's not my typical 'scene' but friendly, dark, sexy, fun. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.